VOILA, a clean nail polish line. Vegan,10 toxin free. (Canceled)
VOILA // A Clean Nail Polish Line. This product is vegan, cruelty free and 10-free off the most common toxic chemicals. Made in USA.
THE PROJECT ORIGINS
My name is Aline Dazogbo and this is a project of a new clean nail polish line, vegan, cruelty free, 10 toxins free off harsh chemicals commonly used in nail polishes and made in USA. I used to joke that I want to be know on the market for "good for good. Now we are pouring love and care in tiny bottles for the people and the planet, after being an exclusive non toxic nail salon for the last 3 years in San Francisco, California.
In other words this is the story of a fashion designer falling in love with sustainability in a clean beauty industry and pouring heart and passion to give birth to the first clean beauty line of beautifully made nail polish products named VOILA.
Minimalist to the bone, exotic by inspiration, VOILA is a simple, pure, clean brand with the people and the environment in its foundations. No harsh chemicals, all ingredients are sourced with high standards, safety and quality in mind. Sustainably, with the people and the environment in the center of every steps of the brand development.
In May 2016 I expanded my repertoire by opening up my second boutique : I named it VOILA, embarking in Noe Valley, San Francisco into a whole new journey! Noe Valley is home to many urban professionals and young, affluent families. In San Francisco the neighborhood is known for its many intimate, upscale, and artisanal shops.
Unlike my original boutique Aline’s Closet, Voila is a natural minimalist concept store bringing together a high end fashion boutique, a modern nail and waxing spa, and a floral studio. During the course of this project, as of March 2019, VOILA will be exactly 3 years.
VOILA carries a collection of high end clothing and accessories curated or designed by myself and promoting other up and coming local brands. You can find a beautiful selection on rotation of wood and ceramic home decor pieces, small gifts, rare letterpress cards, flowers, plants and succulents.
The full service Nail + Wax Spa uses exclusively toxin free polish and organic essential oils offering a wide range of high hand non toxic and eco friendly hues from a collection of 10 brands
I've always been very careful and looked into the main ingredients that saturate the beauty industry products. The more on a label the scariest it could get... Most of those products from those shelves in pretty department stores and retail outlets or thousands of online stores will fill up bathroom cabinets and end up directly in contact with our skin on a daily basis... I have always been curious to know what was really in them and what they are doing to our health ?
I realized that the western beauty industry as we have always known it, promoted by the fashion industry, television, internet, and social media could be counter effective and its products evidently counter productive.
The brands we carried since day 1 at VOILA range from 3 toxin free to 8 toxin free. With VOILA as a new nail polish line I'm committed to bringing to market a clean and safer and whole products that will be composed of a base coat/ top coat set and a collection of 5 colors, all formulated without those harmful chemicals: formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, camphor, formaldehyde resin, xylene, ethyl tosylamide, parabens, phthalates, fragrances. The extra plus-plus we are super happy about, like a cherry on the cake is that the collection is not only toxin free but also cruelty free and vegan plus made in USA. Which makes it one of the most clean non toxic nail polish line on the market today, designed in San Francisco and poured in Los Angeles, keeping it made in California.
A CLEAN NAIL PLOSH LINE
We are launching a line offering for the first collection a top coat and a base coat + 5 colors, rich and high pigmented, with fun names for each colors ! We would love to keep going beyond 5 colors and we will, eventually expand our palette when we'll reach our goal!
Those five colors have been picked according to our clients most picked colors throughout the last 3 years. Gravitating around classic, timeless, "passe-partout", in other words: favorites must have, great for any occasions colors.
Our base coat is called "Grounded" and our top coat "You're all set", cause this is really what we wish you dearly, daily!
COLORFUL BOTLLES AND BAMBOO CAP
Inspired by our space and the people who loved it and have been supporting our green small business!
1300 Bottles are coming to life !
- base coat "Grounded" / top coat "You're all set" 300 bottles
- nude "Elegance" 200 bottles
- brown "Adventure" 200 bottles
- hot pink "In the pink" 200 bottles
- charcoal grey "Tu me plais" (which means "I like you" in French:) 200 bottles
- red / "Paint the town" 200 bottles
We already received our samples and we are in love with everything! AND honestly yes we are a little bit bias but we base our own product review on real life testing and expert advises: we are designer and nail professionals working in a non toxic nail salon after all!
Here is what we think :
- The brush is medium-to-thick, allowing a great smooth application: our nail technicians loved it !
- Seriously, one coat would be enough if you’re short on time, but we’d always advise the best for you: base coat 2 thin color coats top coat: in that order!
- Drying time is 10 to 15 minutes for a glossy manicure that lasted a week without chipping. And that is pretty amazing considering our lifestyle of washing our hands all the times!
- The quality here makes up for the price tag : $18/bottle. We are right in the middle comparing to other non toxic brands in the market.
- We are in love with our eco-friendly packaging and love even more our bottles' wood lid. We wanted to make sure, we will look good on your dressing table and that you could reuse or packaging as a decorative box/ tray for small treasures. The company that will print our packaging is local to us in San Francisco and use recycle paper and eco-friendly ink. We loved that we could meet them other tea, right at the store to talk about sustainable packaging. Voila !
A GREEN MOVEMENT
The beauty industry is changing, and I analyzed this as a green movement from the inside and out. We've started to see the need for transparency in our food already about 15 years ago. The going back to basics and the aim for simplicity, essence and serenity is becoming more and more a common consciousness. This switch to greener products is on the rise as we become more selective with our products. The nail industry is slowly stepping into and joining the effort to an emerging clean beauty market and we are so happy to be part of this global move.
Beyond creating a nail polishes, our brand efforts go into persevering and serving :
.community and inclusion
.creativity and technology
. ecology and non toxic environment
Studies have shown that the body can absorb traces of some chemicals through nail polish, but there is no need to panic. “No one is saying that the occasional manicure will cause long-term health consequences,” says Janet Nudelman, co-founder of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics. “But certain groups may be at higher risk.” Those groups include nail salon staff, or anyone working with the products on a daily basis, and children who are more susceptible to phthalates.
Governments are taking steps to help detoxify nail products. The European Union has banned DBP in cosmetics, though the US hasn’t yet followed. The good news is that there are an increasing number of safer options out there and VOILA is one of them ! We are so thankful our philosophy has been resonating with groups of active conscious women, mom to be and young moms !
FASHION, NAILS and FLORAL, all in one place, sometimes at the same time!
As a minimalist green concept store featuring sustainable fashion brands, offering flower arrangements on demand during workshops and performing a full non toxic nail services menu with brands from a clean beauty market, we are so ready to launch our own line of non toxic nail polishes to offer an extended service based retail experience with a product that really resonate with our concept. We hope to expand our concept to many more locations.
We love our eco-friendly approach and believe in changing the nail salon industry to something greener, cleaner, safer and simultaneously in a beautiful way.
With this project, combined with the chance to offer a service based experience directly to the client I feel like I have the ability to influence the future and re-think the nail industry from its roots, practices, products and make a positive impact on the people that work in this industry and the ones that support it offering a modern nail salon with products respecting an ecological balance.
We believe in living sustainably, living within the means of our natural systems (environment) and ensuring that our lifestyle doesn't harm it or other people (society and culture).
We are producing a Vegan Nail polish :
Our nail polish contains no animal ingredients, does not use any animal ingredients in the production. It involved no animal testing of ingredients or finished product by supplier, producer, manufacturer and used no animal-derived GMO’s or genes in the manufacturing process. And we are very proud of that.
People often ask how a nail polish can be “vegan”. While many nail polish lines label themselves as “vegan” or “vegan friendly”, the reality is that “vegan” is a term only accurately used when referencing to food. We can, however, tell you that no animal by-products are used in our nail polish line and that we do not test on animals.
For many years animal by-products were commonly used in nail polish. As a whole, the cosmetics industry had been in the hot seat because of its heavy use of animal by-products and animal cruelty.( yes horrible, we know! )
We are proud to say that our shiny shades are created with mineral mica powders, keeping them all vegan, animal by-product free.
A nail polish is still a paint, so creating a truly "organic" or toxic-free nail polish is virtually impossible, but not all nail polishes are created equal.
We want the glamour of beautiful nails and chip resistance, long lasting color, while being safe, so we’re branding a formula free of the top 10 toxins used in conventional nail polish.
A collection of 5 colors, all formulated without the most harmful chemicals commonly found in nail polishes. We can’t get rid of all of them, but the worst offenders have been removed from our creamy shades.
Our products do NOT contain Formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, camphor, formaldehyde resin, xylene, ethyl tosylamide, parabens, phthalates, fragrances.
WE MADE THE RESEARCHES SO YOU KNOW WHY WE SAY NO :
- NO Formaldehyde: nail-hardening agent known a carcinogen.
- NO Toluene : a solvent, degreases the skin and may lead to inflammation, can cause headaches and dizziness.
- NO Dibutyl phthalate or DBP: a plasticiser, inhalation can lead to health problems and temporary symptoms such as dizziness, nausea and headache. The European Union considers DBP toxic for reproduction.
- NO Camphor: helps keep your nails looking glossy but, when inhaled, can leave you feeling dizzy and nauseous.
- NO Formaldehyde resin : a skin allergen.
- NO Xylene : a solvent, may be a health hazard when absorbed through the skin and the respiratory tract, may cause headaches, memory and orientation problems, dizziness and dyspnoea. It's also a known allergen and possible carcinogen, according to research from the International Agency on Research For Cancer Scientific Publications Series.
- NO Ethyl tosylamide: a plasticizer that helps transform polish from drippy to dry in minutes; the ingredient has already been banned from personal care products in Europe due to its antibiotic properties and concern over antibiotic resistance.
- NO Parabens: preservatives that have gotten a bad reputation for their estrogen-mimicking effects. Research from the University of Reading and other institutions has suggested they may trigger major health concerns like hormonal problems, may affect the hormonal balance, reproduction and metabolism.
- NO Fragrances most toxic chemicals hide in this list under this name.
The above-mentioned substances are harmful to the health and are not environmentally friendly.
ISO 9001:2008 CERTIFICATION
We chose to work with a certified ISO 9001:2008 company to insure our product are made following the best quality standards in the industry and aligned with our chores values.
For over a decade, ISO 9001:2008 certification has been a standard for quality control and has provided companies a framework to manage their businesses effectively. Ensuring the highest quality products are made available to customers, this standard is designed to create a mindset of continual improvement in companies. In manufacturing, ISO 9001:2008 impacts everything from the decisions that are made by executives to the processes in place on the factory floor to the machine tools that are used everyday by an end user. Manufacturers certified in this standard must adhere several quality management principles which guarantee a customer-driven, quality focused and detail oriented approach to building a product. This ensures that products are produced based on the following conditions:
- A Customer Focus: Machines are built on the needs and expectations of the workers that use them everyday.
- Involvement of all Workers: Top management creates an environment that lets every worker become fully involved in achieving the company’s objectives, and workers at all levels are committed to continually improving the company.
- A Systematic Approach: All daily factory operations are designed to work together to create efficiency, with the outputs of one process affecting the inputs of another.
- Fact Based Decision-Making: Analytics and data gathered from machines and daily operations are used to make more informed decisions.
- A Commitment to Continual Improvement: The permanent goal of everyone - from top management to the factory floor - is to constantly improve overall performance.
PLEASE NOTE WE ARE LOCATED IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA AND PACKAGES WILL TAKE ABOUT 2-12 DAYS TO TRAVEL ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
- Standard US Ground Shipping (3-12 days): FREE
VOILA offers FREE shipping to all backers in the continental USA using "Standard Ground". Expedited shipping not available.
VOILA will offer international shipping to 132 countries across the globe. Rates and transit times are based on the country/region the order is being shipped to. Shipments may incur additional costs/duties/fees depending on the country/region the order is being shipped to. All rewards have a $10 to $15 international shipping, however, please see list below to get an idea on average shipping cost and time to locations.
- CANADA (7-14 days): $9
- UK (7-14 days): $10
- WESTERN EUROPE (10-20 days): $12
- EASTERN EUROPE (10-20 days): $20
- ASIA (10-20 days): $28
- AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST (15-25 days): $28.00
- CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA (10-20 days): $32.00
We love nail art and our signature voila nail art "TTT" Twenty Tiny Triangles became a success! We would love to be able to provide some amazing nail art decal if we extend our goal and more colors to our collection. So fingers crossed we will extend our $12k goal and share more fun!
SPECIAL THANKS FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN
The entire VOILA team, previous and current nail technicians, florists, graphic designers, sale associates and assistants.
Our amazing tribe of fashion, lifestyle and clean beauty bloggers and brands.
Our lovely clients for allowing us to borrow their hands so much often.
Our Noe Valley neighbors community for adopting us.
Beste Bengisu for designing our lovely packaging.
Our local distributor and printing company for offering us resourceful options.
Our friends and family for their continuous support and love since day 1.
San Francisco for treating us so well throughout all those years.
Kickstarter for allowing such an amazing creative global platform.
Risks and challenges
Our biggest challenges is behind us and actually brought us on Kickstarter : meeting the minimum quantity necessary to place an order with our suppliers.
By reaching our goal we completely eliminate this challenge with enough funds to meet this minimum quantity order and make 1300 bottles. We are working with a manufacturer, local to us, based in LA for all our private label needs. We wanted to insure our nail polish line is MADE IN USA : production, design, and packaging, all local.
All private label packages are estimated at 30 to 45 business days after logo submission/design and color submission. So we want to make sure both our manufacturer and our packaging design studio are working simultaneously to meet our delivery timeline on the same time.
Our manufacturer eliminate our risks:
They have 99% rate On-time Landed Orders, they protect our Intellectual, and are ISO 9001-2008 Certified company.
We have a $1 Million COMMERCIAL GENERAL LIABILITY COVERAGE available in the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NE, NC, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV.
All products are made fresh to order and have a 24-months shelf life. Ingredient base are ISO, GMP, FDA certified and we are receiving certifications directly at source, from our manufacturer.
Logistically we are counting on this campaign to be a success and on our growing community to receive our new vegan nail polish by July 2019!
Fun fact: We counted about 2000 clients at VOILA since May 2016, so if everyone gets a bottle of our vegan nail polish, we will certainly reach our goal but we will also be out of stock ! This will be a good problem to have and we are mapping the solution right about now by letting our manufacturer knows this could really turn into a long term relationship. If we can do it once, we can do it twice. VOILA !Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)