About this project
THE NEWTOWNER is a one-of-a-kind magazine
The Newtowner is a one-of-a-kind arts and literary magazine that showcases the work of emerging and established literary, visual, and performing artists.
In The Newtowner, an eight-year-old's poem can appear in the same issue as an interview with the inaugural poet Elizabeth Alexander; an interview with the best-selling novelist Wally Lamb can sit alongside the creative writing of inmates from a maximum-security prison; and the work of emerging writers from all over the world can follow a a double-page spread showcasing the photography of local high-school students.
Our mission is to celebrate creative community and the life-affirming power of literature and the arts.
The Newtowner publishes fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, arts features, interviews, columns, photography, and visual art including cartoons.
The Newtowner is a stunning, full-color, glossy art magazine published on high-end archival paper with exceptional graphic design.
The story so far . . .
Since early 2011, we have published six stunningly beautiful issues. We are now looking to fund our Second Anniversary Issue and subsequent issues.
Goal One: $7,000
The first $7000 raised will cover the printing costs of The Newtowner' s Second Anniversary Issue scheduled for March 2013.
Goal Two: $14,000
If we raise $14,000, we will be able to print The Newtowner's second issue of 2013, scheduled for November 2013.
Goal Three: $14,000 +
Proceeds over the cost of printing the next two issues will help fund:
- the cost of bar-coding to allow The Newtowner to be sold in larger retail chains
- the cost of applying for periodical rate postal charges to reduce shipping costs
- the printing costs of future issues
- other production costs
What makes THE NEWTOWNER different?
- We are the only arts and literary journal we know of that has partnered with a maximum-security correctional institution to regularly publish the creative work of inmates enrolled in writing and drama programs. This work is showcased in its own dedicated section called "From the Inside Out."
- We are the only arts and literary journal we know of aimed at a general readership that regularly publishes the creative work of young writers and artists. We publish the work of elementary, middle-school, and high-school students in a dedicated section called "Youth Expressions."
- Not only do we publish the work of young writers and artists, we mentor youth editors who select and edit the works published in the Youth Expressions section.
- We are one of very few arts and literary magazines that began as a grass roots, all-volunteer movement in a local community, and that is not funded by a university or college.
- In the digital age, The Newtowner is an ode to print as an art form. It is a stunning, perfect bound, full-color, glossy art magazine printed on 100# weight silk-textured paper with exceptional graphic design.
More than a magazine, THE NEWTOWNER is a community
More than a magazine, The Newtowner is a community of readers, writers, editors, artists, and art lovers, who together support the arts and each other.
The Newtowner' s community outreach has included:
- Community poetry and prose readings
- Launch issue celebrations that have been open to the public
- Creation of the Inaugural Newtowner Open Poetry Award
- Creation of The Newtowner/Newtown High School Poetry Award
- Mentoring of high school and middle school youth editors
- Musical and dramatic performances
- Dance workshops
- Panel discussions
- Newtown Arts Festival support and involvement
- Local library events
- Attendance at readings and performances by inmates at Garner Correctional Institution by the staff of The Newtowner
- Venetian-inspired Masked Ball to celebrate our first anniversary
Praise for THE NEWTOWNER
"I am a lucky guy to have been profiled in such a gorgeous and arts-friendly magazine. The Newtowner has it all: compelling writing, great photography, and an attractive layout that can proudly stand beside the New York 'slicks.' Each issue is a pleasure to read." -- Wally Lamb, best-selling novelist
For those engaged in the world of arts and literature, having a publication like this available to your community is something of a dream come true." --Mark Danowsky, NewPages.com
"The most complimentary thing I can say about The Newtowner is that it is real. It bleeds and sweats and has soul. Thank you." --Vincent, Garner CI
"When I look at the pictures of The Newtowner Masked Ball I tear up. I have realized my childhood dream to attend a beautiful Carnevale masked ball! I will always cherish the moments of that beautiful evening spent with those who, like us, love fine food, music, and artistic expression. A priceless and beautiful event." --Desiree and David Galassi
The team behind THE NEWTOWNER
The Newtowner is run by a highly talented, all-volunteer staff with exceptional background and experience in literature and the arts.
Our team includes Editor in Chief Georgia Monaghan, Associate Editor Aimee Pokwatka, Fiction Editor Wendy Wipprecht, Poetry Editor Lisa Schwartz, Creative Nonfiction Editor Brenda McKinley, Features Editor Lillian Bittman, Assistant Editor Nancy Bocian, Proofreader Jennifer Jackson, Columnist Julie Stern, Art Designers Darren Wagner and Tarol Samuelson, Illustrator Luke Kennedy, Advertising Associate Joanne Logan, Youth Staff Nikki Barnhart, Grace McKinley, Caroline McArdle, Lucien Formichella, and Sarah Clements.
We are dedicating a section of our Second Anniversary Issue to writers and artists affected by Hurricane Sandy. If you know any writers or artists who were affected by Hurricane Sandy, please ask them to submit writing, art, or photography related to the event via our Submissions webpage.
In addition, head photographer and art director of The Newtowner, Darren Wagner, is creating a network of photographers and retouchers who will donate their time and talents to restore family photographs damaged by Hurricane Sandy. For those who lost everything the network will donate family portrait sittings, CD, and prints. For more information go to the Facebook page: Photographers Helping Victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Risks and challenges
Having already published six acclaimed issues over the last two years, we know we have the experience and expertise to produce a high-caliber arts and literary magazine. We have a large and growing team of talented and dedicated staff and the quality of our submissions only increases with every issue.
Our biggest challenge is the financial cost of producing such a high quality print product. The Newtowner is a perfect-bound, full-color magazine printed on 100# weight silk-textured paper. We believe in print as an art form and our aim is that The Newtowner is as much a work of art as the works showcased within. Our readers love the buttery feel of the pages, the satin sheen created when the pages hit the light and the smell of ink when a new issue comes off the press. The visual artists we showcase love the high-quality reproduction of their work we are able to achieve. We don't want to sacrifice our print quality or become merely another e-zine. Your support will allow us to continue producing an art magazine of the highest quality that gives emerging and established writers and artists of all ages, backgrounds, and experiences a voice in the community in a way that enriches us all.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)