Hunt the Night is an action –adventure game in a dark world with the retro aesthetics of the golden age of the 16-bits.
As a member of 'The Stalkers’ order, you must cross a vast and devastated world full of dungeons filled with puzzles, enemies and traps. The difficulty of the game is high but rewarding, especially in the intense battles against bosses.
The art design, music and story capture this essence and complement each other creating a unique experience.
If you love Bloodborne and Dark Souls style dark fantasy games, a high but rewarding difficulty, build creation, gameplay that rewards the players’ skills and the exploration and graphic style of classics like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Secret of mana games, Hunt the Night is for you! It will be available on Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, PC, Mac & Linux.
The game will be in English and Spanish. Further languages will be available through stretchgoals.
Hunt the Night is a retro-style action-adventure game that combines a fast and skilled gameplay of games like Bloodborne or Castlevania with dark fantasy lore like the one seen in Dark Souls. Explore the vast world of Medhram, filled with ruins and horrors. Go through dungeons full of traps, enemies and puzzles to fight challenging bosses using your arsenal and dark abilities.
The story of this condemned and decadent world is given through characters, the world design and collectibles. Discover the Night’s corruption that has annihilated humanity over and over and fight to stop it in this dark fantasy journey.
- A huge dark world to explore in a combination of action-adventure games and dark fantasy lore!
- Play as Vesper, the main character, and her darkness counterpart, Umbra, simultaneously.
- Explore all kinds of locations, from ancient cathedrals, huge libraries of knowledge and lost kingdoms, to moving trains and floating cities.
- Customize the upgrades of your weapons and equip the armour that best suits your gameplay: critical damage, life steal, poison, close combat, firepower, etc.
- Survive to huge dungeons full of traps, enemies, puzzles and challenges.
- More than 12 challenging Bosses with multiple and innovative mechanics along with intense combats with several phases.
- Immersive and adapted music to every moment, boss and location. With the collaboration of Hiroki Kikuta, Secret of Mana composer.
- Combination of both traditional 2D animations with 3D effects.
- Script of more than 200 pages for a story of overcoming, balance and redemption.
The main focus of the gameplay is a fast-paced combat style in which you can kill the enemies slashing them with your sword, using dark skills or different ranged weapons while you dash from target to target.
Each boss entails a greater challenge than the previous one, and to face these beings you have to improve your statistics, get new weapons, armours and dark abilities. For this, it is necessary to master the Upgrade System for each weapon and skill, which allows you to customize Vesper, adapting her to your gameplay or a particular boss.
Besides, each defeated boss, completed hunt, victory in the Coliseum, minigames, or secondary missions will allow you to earn rewards and unlock new equipment sets and upgrades.
Fast-paced and dynamic combat
Dash through enemies while you unleash your combos, use your weapons or destroy them with your dark powers. You can switch between melee and ranged attack in quick sucessions: slashing enemies with your sword and then dashing away to use your Magnum or other ranged weapons, avoiding enemy attacks. Your two main resources are bullets, used by ranged weapons, and dark energy used by dark abilities.
As member of 'The Stalkers', you have at your disposal ancient weapons to fight the creatures of the Night. Here are some examples:
- Ancient swords: they are the main melee damage source. Each one have different effects: 'Crimson Rose' allows you to steal life with each hit, 'Sentence' increases the damage of dark abilities, 'Plagum Edge' allows you to carry more bullets and Plagum bombs, etc.
- Magnum: is a really useful weapon when it comes to ranged combat. The fire rate is low but powerful, dealing each shoot quite decent damage. You can aim 360º using it so it is perfect to kill enemies approaching from several directions. Each shoot consumes one bullet of a total of six. You can recharge those bullets damaging enemies using your sword.
- Predator: Vesper ties her hair with a disk-shaped weapon that can change its form. She controls the 'Predator' using her dark powers and can hit moving enemies, expose weak points of certain bosses or solve puzzles using it.
- Plagum bomb: Master Zylax developed a type of acid called 'Plagum' and is specially powerful against the creatures of the Night. Vesper can throw bombs filled with Plagum that will damage and envenom enemies in the area of effect. You can do a quick throw or use the aim mode to select the exact hitting point.
- Shadow Claws: One of the most powerful weapons of the Stalkers' arsenal, the Shadow Claws allows Vesper to unleash devastating attacks using her inner darkness. They consume a high amount of dark energy so it is important to use it carefully or you will be explosed without enough energy to dash away from enemy attacks.
Umbra and your dark powers
You can use Umbra, Vesper’s dark side, to exterminate enemies, escape from difficult situations or solve puzzles. Using Umbra or your dark powers consume dark energy from the enery bar. This energy recharges a bit each second and you have to manage its use efficiently, because your main dodging ability, the 'Shadow Dash', consumes this energy when used.
Shadow Dash: Your 'bread and butter' ability when it comes to combat positioning and damage dodging. It consumes a small amount of dark energy so it can be used more frecuently. It is your main dodging ability but keep in mind, if you are without enough energy and a boss is doing a powerful attack thar requires dashing to be avoided, you are done.
Dark grasp: Vesper can generate a dark claw that allows her to access places that can only be reached using this ability. Also, she can pull enemies that are far away to her position, eliminating them quickly.
Shadow barrier: Vesper can summon Umbra and start controlling her. Umbra has a different skill set and can, among other abilities, prevent damage using her 'Shadow shield'. This barrier blocks ranged attacks and other kind of hazards. It consumes a lot of dark energy so use it wisely.
Shadow leap: This ability allows Vesper to teleport to Umbra's position. Shadow leap is quite useful to escape from traps or avoid powerful boss attacks that cannot be avoided otherwise.
Upgrade and Build System
Each weapon of your arsenal has 3 different upgrades to unlock (story related, optional missions related, especial hunts related, etc.). You can have one active upgrade for each weapon at the same time and you can only change your upgrades when you are out of combat.
This system allows you to create your own build that will adapt not only to your prefered gameplay but also to particular bosses, here are some examples:
- Play safe trying to dodge and poison bosses or enemies, doing slow but efficient damage over time.
- Use multi-target upgrades if a boss summons lots of adds or you are going through zones filled with enemies
- Improve your healing power if you need more damage control
- Go full damage, trying to finish the battle the sooner the better playing risky.
Inventory and player progression
Acquiring new weapons and suits is vital to survive the challenges you will have to face. They will allow you to cause more damage at the cost of health, being able to multiply your dark energy, resisting fatal blows and much more, giving you plenty of possibilities to adapt Vesper to your personal way of playing.
You can also improve Vesper’s stats by collecting Noctilium, that will increase your dark energy bar, or acquiring 3 bloody roses to gain extra health.
Epic Boss fights
The ancient horrors of the Night that have been annihilating the humanity over and over are waiting for you to come. Learn their weak points, attack patterns and survive through the different combat phases as the battle gets more challenging and extreme.
Final bosses are one of the most polished features of Hunt the Night. We care a lot about what a good boss should be, so we not only design their aspect, but also add a strong lore background, theme song and mechanics that change and evolve while you fight them.
Our goal is to make every single boss battle of Hunt the Night memorable. You will probably die several times trying to figure out which is the best approach to fight against them, but we want to create a strong feeling of satisfaction when you manage to defeat each one. Here you can see some examples:
Medhram, a huge non-linear world to explore
Discover optional dungeons, subquest, collectibles and hidden bosses in the Medhram of the 9th Age.
Huntings and subquests
Huntings allow you to face powerful enemies and subquest are perfect if you want to know more about the game lore or meet new characters and plots. In both you will acquire new equipment, money, objects and collectibles. You will have to face several of the most powerful creatures of the Night that will test your skills if you want to complete all of them.
When you enter a new zone there’s a chance for some of the enemies to become ‘Elites’, these enemies deal double damage, have double health and extra attack patterns, but they can drop materials that you can trade to get exclusive weapons, armors or Upgrades. Just remember to be quick and careful, if you are unlucky you can get yourself trapped between extremely dangerous creatures.
Pixel art combined with 3D particles and effects
The golden age of 16 bits video game consoles is back. Real 16 bits graphics updated with 3D effects and particles to create unique environments and memorable boss fights.
Physical Edition (59€ / 66,16$)
Stalker Edition (75 € / 84,11$)
Night Edition (130€ / 145,79$)
After the Kickstarter we will contact each backer that got a physical edition (of any of the tiers) to give the possibility of choosing between the Super Game or Mega Game version. You will have the one that you like the most!
Exclusive skin for backers: Corrupted armor
Follow this simple steps to acquire the addons you like:
- Click the 'Manage your pledge' button on the top of this page.
- You need to add the shipping costs for each reward you want: 5€ for Spain 10€ for Europe and 20€ for the rest of the world. Only if you don't have a physical order, if you have it please don't add it because those shipping costs are included in your normal pledge.(You are not going to pay them twice)
- To claim your addons just increase your pledge in the 'Pledge amount' with the price of the addons you want to acquire.
- Then, save your pledge and it's done!
* You will get the addons the release day *
Hunt the Night is contrast between the melancholy of what is lost and the confrontation of humankind with the creatures of the Night. The world faces its darkest hour and Vesper is a beacon of hope that stands between the people of Medhram and total annihilation.
Duality between light and darkness, both internal and external, the acceptance of loss, the struggle for a lost cause, balance and hope, among others, are part of the musical inspirations for ‘Hunt the Night’.
Our composer, Jesús, is creating an original soundtrack that captures this essence of hope and desperation along with Hiroki Kikuta, one of the greatest musicians of the 16-bits era and the composer of the 'Secret of Mana' OST.
For us, admirers of his work, having a collaboration with Kikuta-san is an honor and a privilege since we have been enjoying his music for more than 20 years. Here you can listen to one of his most memorable pieces:
Creating the world and characters of Hunt the Night is a long but grateful process. Transforming complex concepts to low density pixel art is quite a challenge, but the result, along with the animation, is fantastic.
It is also important that the design itself sends a message, here you can see the conceptual process for 'Mother'. We wanted her to be pure but corrupted, at first this idea seemed impossible but we finally manage to transmit the feeling of something that is pure and corrupt, both beautiful and disgusting, quiet but furious.
The world of Medhram has been populated by many different generations of humans and other living beings and, with the arrival of the Night, everything is destroyed and life and culture have to begin again. Each different age was great once and now this beauty is gone, and they all had their own architectonic style, languages, technology and living beings.
The game is placed on the Medhram of the 9th age and we need to represent something new along with the rest of cultures and creatures that have left their print in the world.
The creation process has to mix different influences so, for example, here you can see Bloodisfell Cathedral: Hunt the Night has a victorian neo-gothic style overall but we wanted to mix gothic architecture with more fantastic elements and influences from other styles to show how lost cultures shape each other.
Hunt the Night started as a dream and now it has become a reality. We showed the first phases of the game on social media and people started to encourage us to make it bigger while they supported us because they believe in our characters, gameplay and world. We will always be thankful to that people that made us keep working hard, no matter how hard the adversities could be.
Right now, Hunt the Night is a really ambitious project and we want to develop the best possible game, but we cannot do it alone. Kickstarter bring us the opportunity to get enough funding to make the game bigger, richer and even more complex.
This is also an opportunity to connect with people that trust us and start developing a game together. We listen to you and we know that if the game combines both our vision with yours we can create the best Hunt the Night possible.
Let's make this happen, let's Hunt the Night together!
We are a Spanish indie game developer formed by 16-bits lovers. Our goal is to offer indie games of great quality made with retro love. We are a group of people that met each other thanks to our passion: video games.
Creating games that connect content creators with the users is really important for us, this kind of conexion helps both parts and allow us to create the best possible game thanks to the advice and trust of thousands of players around the world.
This project is promoted by Jellop, the ad tech power behind the best Kickstarters with 650+ successful Kickstarter projects with over $300MM raised between them.
Risks and challenges
Hunt the Night is a big project and we know that is quite ambitious. Developing a game in classic pixel art style and with complex animations on characters, enemies and bosses is difficult and it requires a lot of time.
We are aware of this and with the funding we will hire more artists for the project to get everything ready. With your trust we will create the game exactly the way it should be, without leaving anything out of it due to deadlines.
We are ready to face this challenge and bring you the best possible 'Hunt the Night'. We won't disappoint you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)