THE KINTSUGI PROJECT BOOK
100% of the funds raised through this Kickstarter campaign will go directly toward the design, edit, and final print of a very special book featuring 55 people and their gold-painted scars. With your generous support, this high-quality book will feature 150+ photographs and 55 honest stories curated from a year-long photographic and storytelling project about scars - The Kintsugi Project. Each viewer will be able to relate to these incredible project participants on a human level. These photographs and stories have already been such a gift for both the viewers and the participants, and now we'd like to create a book to share theses stories of courage and healing with others. Read more below!
WHAT IS KINTSUGI?
The art of kintsugi, or "golden joinery", was born hundreds of years ago in Japan. Instead of tossing broken pieces of art or pottery in the trash, craftsmen would restore a broken piece with a lacquer mixed with gold. As a philosophy, kintsugi treats breakage and repair as part of the important history of an object rather than something to disguise. It focuses not on replacement, but on awe, reverence and restoration.
Many times our life journey can bring us to a place of damage or trauma. This suffering can often leave behind physical scars; I believe there is beauty in scars. Scars are not 'flaws', but rather, an integral part of each deeply personal, individual journey.
For this project, each subject had their scars painted gold to symbolize the strength and power of healing what was once broken. In a warm room, with tea and music and the power of community, I created a safe space for them to share their bodies with me and each other; I photographed their scars. Each subject then wrote the intimate narrative of their scars and we shared them with you, the viewer, on my social media hubs to a warm and incredibly supportive response.
The amazing humans featured in this book are absolute and exquisite and whole and incredible. They are living, breathing proof of resilience, power, strength, grace, joy, and love. Together we celebrate the human body, the joy of self-love and the primal spirit of survival.
The book will feature 55 stories written by each of the participants in their own powerful words. A few themes will appear in the book, including but not limited to the following:
- Illness & Chronic Disease - the taxing ups and downs of chronic illness are explored and we celebrate the empowerment of returning to wellness. Conditions including Congenital Heart Disease, Breast Cancer, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Alopecia Areata and more.
- Body Image - these stories speak to the emotional cauldron of teenage-hood, development through puberty, and the complicated path to self-love. They discuss disordered eating, depression, and the journey to overcome. Body positivity is a strong current through each unique experience.
- Motherhood - these deeply personal narratives include childbirth and it's incredibly raw and lingering affect on our brains and bodies. These subjects also discuss the physical and emotional changes created from growing our tiniest humans and the process of forgiveness.
- Burn Survivors - you'll hear from two subjects who have truly redefined what tenacity and authenticity encompass. Through their relationship to one another, their leadership in the burn community, and their complicated healing journey side by side as a unit, this deeply personal story is staggeringly raw.
- Self-harm - these honest stories talk about self-harm, how it's affected their lives, and where they are now. Each story is reflective, contemplative, and speaks to the emotional journey toward whole mental and physical health.
- Grief - we'll talk more about the invisible power that grief can hold in our lives. Several subjects share deeply honest and personal narratives as they navigate their truths to share and therefore lessen the weighty burden of continued grief.
- Mental Illness - we'll learn more about Dermatillomania (also referred to as chronic skin-picking, a mental illness related to obsessive-compulsive disorder), Clinical Depression, and more.
- Suicide - several subjects share their own person path through suicidal thoughts, attempts, and the courage required to work toward healing both the body and spirit.
- Transformation - we'll learn more from an honest perspective of Gender Disphoria and the healing journey to become one's truest version of themselves.
- Sudden Injury Scars - how sudden and traumatic injury can fracture the spirit as well as the body. We follow each story to wholeness again.
- Addiction - we'll see an honest portrayal of the heart-work and dedicated testimony toward healing from alcoholism and drug addiction.
Whether broken of spirit or of flesh, each individual story outlines the resilience, tenacity, courage and personal empowerment required to continue their own personal path toward sustained healing.
345 pages, soft-cover, quality binding
8.5 x 8.5 square format
Silky, durable 120 lb weight cover, 80 lb weight interior pages that are soft and welcoming to the touch.
We want this book to sit in your hands and bring a positive energy to your life. These pages will speak to you, beckon you in, and only ask for your honest acceptance in return. The beauty of the human experience, shared!
Please lift up these project participants and pledge to support this book project. I am so excited to begin the work with your pledge!
Risks and challenges
The only risk and challenge is not having our funding goal met!
The $8500 funding goal is set as a baseline to produce 100 books under contract with a reputable printer at cost. (Cost includes printing, taxes, shipping, and kickstarter/bank fees (about 10%).)
At this time, NO monies will be going into my pockets. I feel so strongly about the book and it's creation that I'm willing to work for the next several months to bring this book to life without a single dollar of remuneration.
I want to be very transparent and disclose that profit was never the goal for this project. The ultimate goal was to create a safe space for others to share each personal journey. It's important to acknowledge and honor the vulnerability, courage, and the path to healing for each participant.
If more than 100 books are pledged for, I'll be creating a larger book order and celebrating along with each of the subjects in this book!
If you pledge, stay tuned to hear more about any surplus/charitable contributions!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)