Summary: A stranger hires detective to find his ex-girlfriend. The man claims to be searching for love, but our heroine's true challenge is to determine what everyone is really after. A modern noir film about men, women, and the roles they play.
"Film noir is not about action and victory, but about incompetence and defeat. If it has a happy ending, something went wrong." - (Roger Ebert, "After Dark, My Sweet" review)
WE HIT OUR GOAL! I cannot thank you generous backers enough, and I am very excited about being able to make the film and give you your rewards.
Now what, you ask? Should you even bother to back the film? Please do! First, you know you are drooling over those rewards. Second, 5% of anything we raise over budget will go to Global Girls Media. Third, though $4,000 will cover all our necessary filming costs (see below), the project does have some other needs. Anything over our $4,000 goes to:
- Crew Expenses - Those amazing people willing to work 14-hour days? I'd love to at least cover their gas money to get from location to location.
- Marketing - Making DVDs/posters/websites, submitting to festivals, promoting the film, all costs. A lot.
- Your Rewards – Making DVDs, printing photos, shipping to you, these are things I'm willing to pay out-of-pocket for, but if I don't have to, that'd be almost as awesome as those of you who contribute!
The Maltese Falcon cost an estimated $4,000,000 dollars (IMDB, adjusted for inflation). The Lilith Necklace will be 15 minutes long. Every 15 minutes of The Maltese Falcon (100 minutes) would cost over $600,000.00 in today's money.
Why can I spend so little? Because my amazing cast and crew is donating time, expertise, and resources in return for credit and experience. Some are even taking vacation time from their day jobs! And they're good. My lead light guy helped light Obama's 2012 State of the Union address; my Director of Photography has worked on over 1,000 projects, many award-winning; every one involved with this project is good and constantly improving at what he or she does.
We want to make a spectacular film, and I want to treat my team well. Towards those two ends is where your money will go. Specifically:
- Food - A full crew is a happy crew. While some area businesses are giving us food for free or cheap, 15-40 people on any given day still takes a fair amount to properly feed.
- Equipment - My fantastic crew is bringing equipment with them, but we need to rent lights and stands, a dolly (for 2 days of shooting), dedicated hard drives, and a Follow Focus to make this movie a high quality production.
- Insurance - for equipment, for locations, for contingencies. Because stuff happens.
- Props/Wardrobe/Hair and Makeup/Incidentals - and lots of them!
- (36 days)