About this project
We want to thank all our fabulous supporters, our new familia, for their generous support! We can't wait to show you what we've been cookin' up these last several months. If you're visiting this page after our Kickstarter deadline has passed and are interested in getting involved, we encourage you to visit our web site and sign up on our mailing list. Or email us at: mark@TheHouseThatJackBuiltMovie.com
We can still honor many of the rewards you see on this page and we'd love to have you join us on what will surely be an exciting journey!
Stay in Touch with "Jack"!
- Official Website: www.TheHouseThatJackBuiltMovie.com
- Jack Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TheHouseThatJackBuiltMovie
- Jack Twitter: www.twitter.com/TheJackMovie
What's This Film About?
The House That Jack Built is a nearly-finished narrative feature film about a young, enterprising Latino man named Jack who, fueled by nostalgia, buys a Bronx apartment building and moves his boisterous extended family in to live rent-free. He hides the fact that his store is a front for selling marijuana and it's only a matter of time before his two worlds collide in tragic fashion.
Background of the Project
The House That Jack Built was written by acclaimed writer/director Joe Vasquez, who directed the early 90's film Hangin' With The Homeboys, starring a young John Leguizamo. Producer Mike Lieber met Joe soon after Hangin' premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and they began working on Jack. Tragically, Joe died in 1995, and Mike promised Joe on his deathbed that he would make the film, and make it the way Joe had always envisioned it. After many years and many close calls, Mike and producers Hitesh Patel and Sam Kitt raised production funding, and working closely with award-winning writer/director Henry Barrial, shot the film with an all-Latino cast in the South Bronx and Queens, in the Summer of 2012. Nearing picture lock, the filmmakers are ready to show the world Joe's vision after nearly 20 years.
Who We Are
The House That Jack Built's creators are experienced filmmaking professionals:
- Joe Vasquez (Writer) - was an intensely creative filmmaker who wrote and directed Hangin' With The Homeboys, for which he was awarded the Sundance Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award. Joe grew up in the Bronx and started making movies using his relatives' Super 8mm camera when he was 12 years old. He earned his degree in film from City University of New York and wrote The House That Jack Built before passing away at the age of 33.
- Henry Barrial (Director) - is an award-winning writer/director, and "Jack" is his fourth feature film. His first feature, Some Body, premiered in Dramatic Competition at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival, and was released theatrically by Lot 47 Films. His latest feature Pig (successfully funded via Kickstarter), has played in over 35 international film festivals and won 10 awards, including 7 Best Feature Awards. Pig has been selling to distributors overseas and is nearing a domestic distribution deal. Henry is also a Sundance Lab Fellow.
- Mike Lieber (Producer) - is a veteran writer and producer (Awakenings, Joe Gould's Secret, Flash Of Genius).
- Hitesh Patel (Producer) - is a producer of brand campaigns and new media ventures. Jack is his first feature film.
- Sam Kitt (Producer) - is an experienced producer (Love & Basketball) and former head of Spike Lee's production company 40 Acres & A Mule.
- Mark Stolaroff (Co-Producer) - produced each of Henry's previous films, and is also the founder of No Budget Film School.
What The Funds Will Be Used For
Funds collected from Kickstarter will be used to complete and market the film. Specifically:
- Finishing editing (and paying our editor!)
- Creating the musical score
- Sound design, sound editing and mixing the sound
- Final polishing of the picture elements: color correction, titles
- On-line editing and mastering
- Film promotion and sales
How Kickstarter Works
Kickstarter is the largest funding platform for creative projects in the world. Artists in a variety of disciplines use Kickstarter to raise money from energized patrons all over the world. Rather than investing in risky projects, patrons donate funds in return for tangible and valuable rewards at different giving levels. Rather than rely on a few investors to fund their projects with large investments, artists receive funds of varying levels from hundreds, even thousands of fans from all walks of life and from every corner of the world, increasing the level of awareness for their projects.
Kickstarter is ALL OR NOTHING. Artists set a fundraising goal and a fundraising deadline and if they don't raise the entire amount by that deadline, they do not receive any of the funds!
What You Can Get For Your Support
We're offering all kinds of great stuff in return for your support. The more you give, the better you get! Of course, we appreciate donations of any size. Here are just some of the items available; you can see all the rewards over to the right:
- Your name in the credits
- A DVD of the film
- DVDs of all of Henry Barrial's past films
- The Super "Pig" Package
- Autographed photo of your favorite actor in "Jack" with custom message
- New CD from our renowned violinist/composer Lili Haydn
- Lunch with the director or producer and one of the actors
- Free Attendance To No Budget Film School's Weekend Class
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if we don't raise our goal? Like we said, Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. If we only raise $19,500 of our $20,000 goal, we don't get to keep any of the money we raise and we go away empty handed. As a donor, your pledge does not count until our entire goal is successfully met. Your credit card will not be charged until after the campaign is over.
Can we raise more than our goal? YES! We can. There is no limit to the amount of funds we can raise, and any additional funds will be put to good use, as there is much to do once we complete the film. Additional funds will help ensure that we reach audiences everywhere.
Can you increase your donation once you've pledged? Yes, you can increase the size of your donation at any point before the campaign is over. Once you've contributed and logged-in again, instead of seeing a green "Back This Project" button, you'll see a blue "Manage This Donation" button.
How Else Can You Help?
Crowdsourcing works best when there's a Crowd! Please help us spread the word. Join our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter, and let everyone know about the film, or email your friends our Kickstarter link. And while Television ads are expensive, Tell-A-Friend and Tell-A-Neighbor are free! An easy way to start is by clicking the Facebook and Twitter buttons right under the video above. We can't thank you enough for your support!
Official Website: www.TheHouseThatJackBuiltMovie.com
Jack Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TheHouseThatJackBuiltMovie
Jack Twitter: www.twitter.com/TheJackMovie
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Risks and challenges
Kickstarter wants us to tell you about the potential risks and challenges we face after we get funded. While any indie film endeavor is inherently risky, because of the stage we're at presently, we have mitigated a number of those risks. There is always the risk you won't be able to raise the production funds necessary, won't be able to write a good script, won't be able to find an accomplished director and a talented cast, or a hardworking, dedicated crew. These risks are all behind us now. The risks that lay ahead deal mostly with putting the final touches on a film we can already view and judge, and getting that film out into the world, dealing with a crowded marketplace and short attentions. We have years of experience dealing with the issues, and feel up to the challenges that lay ahead.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)