What is The Infamous?
The Infamous is a quarterly magazine about graffiti and street art. The Infamous digs deep into this amazing art and culture by providing creative, unique content with beautiful photography and design. Every cover is and will be exclusively illustrated, with each issue having two different covers, making every issue of The Infamous a collectable piece of art.
What is the magazine about?
The Infamous feels it is important to cover every aspect of graffiti and street art from the taggers to the freight-train writers to the muralists and piecers, and everybody in between. Each issue of The Infamous is organized into color-coded departments, each with its own introductory page. The first department is titled Jumpoff, containing pages such as History 101, Vintage Paint, Back In Action, Chase Story, Crazy Sightings, How-To, Fashion, Technology, Color Theory, Gallery Scene, Flowchart, Travel, Testing of graffiti products and more. The second department, Profiles, contains interviews with high-profile writers and artists. The next departments feature photographs of graffiti and street art in different forms: Hands, Fillins, Trains, Burners and Street Art. To launch each one of these departments, The Infamous interviews a respected individual associated with that kind of art. The next department addresses the wider interests of the readership: Cosigned is The Infamous magazine’s stamp of approval for products and people in fields such as book and video reviews, Art, Sports, Music, Sneakers, Photography, Tattoos and more. The feature well section introduces the issue's cover stories. Each and every issue of The Infamous also contains an editor’s letter, an events page, a page with photographs of supporters and readers holding The Infamous, two blank “blackbook” pages for readers to add their own artwork and become part of the magazine, and a rest-in-peace tribute article dedicated to an artist who has passed away.
Each issue is perfect bound with at least 116 pages. The Infamous is the same size as many magazines (including GQ, Wired and Details) and features a cover with a matte finish and gloss text paper on the inside.
What will be in Issue #7?
Issue #7 will contain artists such as: MQ, LTV Squad, Few & Far, King157, Begr, Jade, Learn, Onorok, Coma, Klas, Mr. Penfold, Rapes, Stae2 and more. We have been working hard on Issue #7, which is almost ready to go.
Could you explain more about the totally awesome rewards?
Each and every donor, regardless of the donation size, will have their name printed in Issue #7. And starting at the low donation of $15 (this includes shipping) you will receive Issue #7 and your name printed in the magazine.
- Subscriptions - Because we print two separate covers of each issue, we offer two subscription packages:
- Standard (one year/four issues starting with Issue #7 and totaling four copies)
- Premium (one year/four issues with both covers, starting with Issue #7 and totaling eight copies).
- Certain donors will also receive a quantity of our branded "The Infamous" stickers.
- Certain donors will receive a t-shirt from The Infamous, designed and produced exclusively for our Kickstarter donors - it will not be available to anyone else. The shirts will be created once we reach our Kickstarter goal and have determined the number of t-shirts needed.
- Back issues are included in several reward packages. Due to its popularity, we have a very limited quantity of the Wane COD cover from Issue 5. Therefore, only reward packages that include “Every issue and cover (Issues #1–7)” include the Wane cover from Issue 5. Donors will still receive the other two covers from the special anniversary edition of Issue 5, Mr. Brainwash and Oakland. Below are pictures of all our issues we printed. Issue #7 covers will be posted soon (above under the “What Will Be In Issue #7” section.)
- Custom art – your name in graffiti letters on either marker paper or canvas, executed by one of the graffiti artists in our network (based on availability). The art will consist of your name or up three words of your choice in mixed media (including, but not limited to, markers, spray paint, acrylic paint and more). For an example, see the below image.
- Limited-edition signed covers: We had the cover artists to sign a limited number of copies from the issue for which they created the cover art. We have a limited number of these magazines and are offering them to our supporters and donors as part of some reward packages. These signed copies are limited in number and are valuable… get one while they are still available.
- The limited-edition SP One silkscreen print:The Infamous and SP One created a run of 85 silkscreen prints to include in some of the reward packages on Kickstarter. Signed and numbered by SP One himself, there are very limited and we expect them to go fast.
As part of select reward packages, we are including advertising positions in The Infamous magazine. These options include:
- Business-Card Size (3.5" x 2") – to run inside Issue #7
- One-Third Page (vertical advertisement, with bleed, 2.875" x 11.125") – to run inside Issue #7
- Full-Page Advertisement(s) (with bleed, 8.25" x 11.125") – to run inside Issue #7 or your option of any issue from Issues #7–10.
- When a reward states "two full-page advertisements OR one spread advertisement in Issue #7 of the magazine," it means you could have two separate full-page advertisements in Issue #7. There is also an option to spread out your full-page advertisements, with the first ad placed in Issue 7, and the second advertisement to be placed in an issue of your choice (Issues #8–10).
- Some reward packages include a "spread advertisement," or two facing pages that create a single piece of advertising. Donors have the choice to place their spread advertisement in any issue of their choice, Issues #7–10.
- Two of the packages at the $5,000 level include four full-page advertisements or two spread advertisements. Donors at this level have the choice to place their advertisements in any way they like inside Issues #7–10. The same rules apply for the $10,000-level reward packages that include eight full-page advertisements or four spread advertisements.
When a donor picks a reward package containing an advertising option, we will immediately follow up via email to review the options in greater detail and to share our ad templates and specs. It is very important that we promptly receive your advertising content so that we may follow through on our pledge to deliver Issue 7 as quickly after the Kickstarter campaign's conclusion as possible (providing we reach our Kickstarter goal). If you pick a reward package that includes advertising and could provide us with the content before the end of the campaign, we would greatly appreciate it. This would allow us to speed up production and delivery time.
Who is the team behind The Infamous?
Currently, The Infamous consists of a small team…
Publisher & Art Director: Shaun Baron
Editor-In-Chief: Phil Tanfield
Photo Editor and Graphic Designer: Peter Gambacorta
…And an awesome group of contributing writers and photographers. If you would like to join our team and contribute please email us at email@example.com.
Why do you need funding?
We need funding to re-launch the magazine with Issue #7, which is almost ready to go to print. And from there we will be up and running again strong.
Where will the Kickstarter money go?
We need the money to print and distribute Issue #7 through our newsstand distributor, Curtis Circulation Services, which places The Infamous in over 1,300 retail locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, and also handles our international distribution. (In addition, we have a presence in over 50 niche retail locations; we distribute magazines at a number of art related events; subscriptions and vip comp lists.) Postage costs to mail the magazine to existing subscribers and customers, as well as Kickstarter donors, are also substantial and have risen significantly in recent years. And while most of The Infamous' contributors do the work for the love and are not paid, we still have administrative and material costs, including ancillary costs such as web hosting, software licensing, etc.
What if you raise more than the pledged goal?
The more money we raise, the more we can do, so we have come up with extra rewards if certain stretched goals are reached. For example:
- $25,000: We will make the digital version of Issue #7 (iPad app) a free download, instead of the projected price of $1.99, which will be the price of all other The Infamous apps (digital issues.) And we would be able to put money aside to pay some of our contributors and writers.
- $35,000: Issue #7 and #6 will be a free app and we will design a one-of-kind, limited-edition sticker for all donors to this Kickstarter campaign.
- $45,000: Issues #5–7 will be a free app and donors will receive the limited-edition sticker.
- $55,000: Issues #4–7 will be a free app and donors will receive the limited-edition sticker.
- $65,000: Issues #3–7 will be a free app and donors will receive the limited-edition sticker plus we will be able to take $0.49 off of the cover price, starting with Issue #7 (regular cover price is $6.99.)
- $75,000: Issues #2–7 will be a free app and donors will receive the limited-edition sticker plus we will be able to take $0.99 off of the cover price, starting with Issue #7.
- $85,000: Every existing issue of The Infamous (Issues #1–7) will be a free app, donors will receive the limited-edition sticker plus we will be able to take $1.49 off of the cover price starting with Issue #7.
- $95,000: Every existing issue of The Infamous (Issues #1–7) will be a free app, donors will receive the limited-edition sticker plus we will be able to take $1.99 off of the cover price starting with Issue #7.
Will The Infamous have a release party?
Yes! Staying involved throughout the year, The Infamous hosts multiple release parties in different cities to promote each new issue. Cities where we have hosted parties include New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Miami, VA Beach, Oakland, Washington D.C., Baltimore and more. We will know which cities we are able to throw release parties in closer to our print date and we will update everyone regarding those events. With your support The Infamous will be able to continue to provide several graffiti- and art-related events with complimentary copies of the magazine, which will always be announced on our website.
The Infamous can not thank you enough for your donation and support.
Video credit: Phil Tanfield, you rock!
We will update our body content with updated pictures and information as it comes in.
For general inquiries email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. For photo submissions please email high res photos to email@example.com. For advertising inquiries please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, visit our website and social media sites (@theinfamousmag ):
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges:
We have down an expected delivery date of July 2013, which we expect a delivery date by the end of June or first week of July. However, there is always a possibility of getting the magazine back from the printer late, which usually never happens. So at the latest you can expect the magazine by the end of July; although, we do expect to have it in your hands a lot sooner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)