The Future Generation - Second Edition!
The Future Generation - Second Edition!
10th year anniversary!!! Second Edition. Get this essential radical parenting and community zine anthology back in print again!
10th year anniversary!!! Second Edition. Get this essential radical parenting and community zine anthology back in print again! Read more
"The Original Punk Parent Zine." Ariel Gore
"Martens has been writing since long before the mommy wars were a media trope, but her work is a powerful response to punditry casting institutional and political problems as personal issues of 'work-life balance' for mothers (notably, not fathers)." - Lisa Jervis, Bitch Magazine
China Martens started The Future Generation, a pioneer of the genre, especially when it comes to mamazines, in 1990. She was a young anarchist punk rock mother who didn't feel that the mamas in her community had enough support, so she began publishing articles on radical parenting in an age before the Internet made such a thing easy.
Atomic Books published The Future Generation: The Zine-Book For Subculture Parents, Friends, & Others in 2007, an anthology of the best from issues of The Future Generation, the zine. For the first time, the 16 years of her zine and parenting writing life came together. This zine-book used individual issues as chapters, focused on personal writing, and retained the character of a zine that changed over the years—growing from her daughter’s birth to teenagehood and beyond.
NOW – with your help – we will publish the tenth year anniversary, second edition!!! Help get The Future Generation back in print again!!!
Pre-order and get a signed second edition copy delivered to your house in early March, 2017! With a new color cover and ALL NEW AFTERWORD written by China's daughter. And many other exciting zine perks.
Why you should support (in any way that you can) this campaign:
- Because China Martens is an awesome writer and thinker!
- To celebrate the past and gather strength for the future!
- Because it is a historic 10th year commemorative issue of badass fierceness!
- TFG remains a timeless resource for parents, caregivers and those who care about them. Though first published in 1990, many of the essays and observations--about parenting, children, and surviving in a hostile political climate--still ring true today.
- To support a local (Baltimore) small press – Atomic Book Company.
- Because Writing is Important to envision a better world! And it’s a terrible job.
- Because this zine-book is her life’s work and putting it back in print gives it a chance to share with a wider audience and live on.
- Because China's grown 28-year-old daughter is going to write a new updated afterword – and you know you want to read that!!!!!!
- It’s the Anti-trump thing to do! Support single mother stories.
- This book is a documentation of the visceral, day to day, experience of being a poor, single mother in the 90s. What it was like to be a poor single mother during 'welfare reform' and how it affected the day to day life of poor mothers.
- Because it’s the only publication of its kind, a vital alternative, and much needed resource.
- Because this book will inspire a new generation of artists and mothers trying to survive.
- Parenting is a political act and we need a network to build a sustainable future – for everyone – not just individuals or individual family members but all people everywhere.
- Navigating our world under its current political climate requires alternatives if we are going to survive. This book is necessary now and into the future to provide vision and camaraderie.
- The next four years are going to be especially demanding for those trying to balance parenting, politics, and survival. We're going to need the voices and experiences in TFG now more than ever.
- Because the future generation is our only hope!
Risks and challenges
There really aren't very many risks or challenges since we have done this before. The same printer has been contacted, we did all the math to make this possible including shipping. The biggest challenge is raising the money to reprint which we are doing through taking pre-orders and fundraising. If we don't raise enough funds then we will not print this book. It's scary to launch my first kickstarter but thats the modern age - and I'm all in :) . It's going to be hard to zerox and send out a brand new zine but I'm up to that challenge - and have a year to look into the least expensive options of how to fulfill that xoxoLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)