Now available at www.thedollkind.com.
The Doll Kind was created by two moms on a mission: To empower and inspire a generation of children to create a kinder world, one heart at a time.
We have created soft and huggable dolls to team up with your children to be a force for good. Each doll comes with a bag of heart tokens that are given away as an act of kindness. Plus, for each doll purchased a doll will be donated to a child less fortunate.
How it Works
1. Choose your doll. Each soft and huggable doll is 18+ inches tall. They are a symbol for kindness and a reminder to both children and parents to be a force for good. Choose one, or start up a collection. Currently available in three designs.
2. Hand out the tokens. Teach your children to give their heart tokens out as an act of kindness. They can leave them with anyone they feel inspired to! A waitress, a doctor, a nurse, a grandparent, or as a simple gesture - in secret or not. The special message imprinted on each token, 'Share the Love', will lift spirits and encourage the passing on of this act of kindness. The act of giving out the tokens will inspire your child to do more good, and help them grow into charitable and compassionate adults.
3. A doll will be donated. We believe in leading by example and as moms, we take that role seriously. That's why for every doll purchased, one will be donated to a child less fortunate. Donation sites include orphanages, hospitals, shelters, and more throughout the United States and countries across the world.
We have already partnered with several non-profits and organizations who will be among the first to accept the donated dolls.
TDK dolls come to your child without a name. A card is included for your child to fill out, naming their doll. By doing so, they agree to join the kind mission and be a force for good. Though we don't name our dolls, we have chosen to "name" them positive words, characteristics that we hope to share with our children: Hope, Grace, and Fair.
While TDK dolls serve as a friend and companion to children, we are even more passionate about what our dolls stand for, and the message they teach children everywhere, regardless of background or circumstance. We want children around the world and from every walk of life to understand that no matter how much or how little one may have, we can all be kind.
How it Started
The Doll Kind was inspired by a very unlikely series of events. One fateful day during the summer of 2015, in a daze of confusion and utter awe, co-founder Victoria Farmer snapped this now viral picture of her daughter, Anistyn.
Fast forward to today, and you have a children's company for social good that promotes kindness. How did we get here, you ask? Following the picture of Anistyn going viral, Victoria received a lot of criticism and personal attacks to her character.
While up in the middle of the night tending to her newborn, she stumbled upon another site featuring the photo with a string of comments that were particularly cruel and harsh. As she looked down at her baby, pure and innocent, she was reminded of a simple truth that would forever change the course of her life.... People aren't born mean.
It was that moment that moved Victoria to found a children's company. One that would inspire children to maintain their innate sense of kindness into adulthood, and would empower them to spread that kindness to others.
Victoria contacted her friend and now business partner, Jackie Konczol, to help make this dream a reality. Together they formed the concept of The Doll Kind. While creating TDK, they thought of all the qualities that make up a great company. They wanted the products to be effective, inspirational, educational, and affordable, so that children everywhere could both experience and benefit from the gift of being kind.
The Doll Kind was not only a positive response to some unkind words surrounding a viral photo. It became a hope for something more. A hope for a better world for our children to grow up in. One that is kinder, more considerate, and filled with children that are empowered to do good, no matter their background or circumstance.
A few months down the road, we learned about a grant that was directed toward new parents who had a new product or business idea. Feeling we were a perfect fit, we worked hard on our application and submitted it, hoping for the best.
Fortunately, The First Year's brand recognized the value in The Doll Kind and the kind mission and awarded us a grant that allowed us to move the project further. With their help, we were able to begin the process of creating our prototypes, a process that is just days away from successful completion.
Where We Are Today
We will admit, we have lofty goals, and we are just getting started. We have invested countless hours and personal funds to create The Doll Kind. In our final push to bring The Doll Kind to market, we turn to Kickstarter and you, our potential backer, to make this dream a reality. We've brought The Doll Kind to Kickstarter for two main reasons:
1. Kickstarter is the perfect place to build community around a project. Not only will we gain support through Kickstarter, but we hope to get invaluable feedback from you so that we can make the kind mission as strong as possible.
2. Manufacturing is costly. We believe whole-heartedly in our mission and the value that TDK provides, and that is why we have invested our own funds and countless hours to make it a reality. But it's a lot for two moms to take on alone. It is our hope that people everywhere will recognize the value that TDK provides and be as passionate about the kind mission as we are by investing directly in it. The funds generated through Kickstarter will go directly towards the manufacturing of our first full production run of dolls and tokens, as well as shipping supplies.
Please join us on our kind mission and "Give the gift of kindness!" If you feel inspired, we would love to have you as a backer.
If you would like to support The Doll Kind, in addition to backing us on Kickstarter, your help can allow us to make our campaign even better. You can:
- Provide your feedback. We love to hear your feedback! Your constructive criticism can help us improve The Doll Kind and our kind mission.
- Be social with us! Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Instagram, follow us on Pinterest, and subscribe to our channel on YouTube.
- Tell your friends about The Doll Kind and our kind mission and share our product campaign to help us reach our goal.
It doesn't just take a doll and some heart tokens to change the world. It takes a child with an innate sense of kindness and a parent willing to share and encourage their values.
Jackie and I sincerely thank you for your support, and for helping bring The Doll Kind to children around the world!
A sincere thank you to all of our friends, family, and business partners who helped make this project come to life. Special thanks to Kim Broadbridge for creating a beautiful video, thank you to Chris Gann and the team at Gann Memorials for being patient with our specific details of the doll designs, thank you to Biying and Hot Pop Factory for quickly creating the perfect 'kind heart', thank you to Lauren Carroll Photography and Tess Ricketts photography for the lovely photos, and a huge thank you to The First Years for awarding us the Parentprenuer grant. All of your support means the world!
Risks and challenges
Being parents to young children under 3, we have learned to power through any obstacles that might come our way. We know things don't always go as planned. Fortunately, our children have taught us the power of perseverance and believing in yourself, even when times get tough. Some of the challenges we may face include:
Manufacturing: We plan to work with the same manufacturer who produced our prototypes. They have assured us that they can produce the number of dolls we are offering through Kickstarter in the time frame we have set. We will strive to keep the lines of communication open between the manufacturer and ourselves, as well as between ourselves and you, our backer.
Shipping: With Jackie and I planning to do the order fulfillment ourselves, we know we will have our hands full. But we are big fans of spending our money wisely and we feel that if we can do it ourselves, we can use our funds in a more efficient and effective way. We are gearing up for all nighters and around the clock packaging so that we can take care of you, our backers, in a timely manner. If we end up being overwhelmed with the amount of shipping we need to complete (we can only hope and dream for such a challenge) we have a couple of options:
1. We have a strong and supportive network of family members and friends who are eager to help us with our kind mission and are willing to help us tackle the shipping.
2. If we have exhausted ourselves, friends, and family members, our U.S. based manufacturer also offers order fulfillment and we are more than willing to hire their help if it means that we will get your rewards to you as promised!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (44 days)