A couple of years ago we started making these Dice Crypts by hand as a fun way to carry our dice to the gaming table. The originals were cut from 2x4 pine boards and a few simple tools in our garage. We always received a positive response to our "dice crypts" (and a few raised eyebrows). The original design was tweaked and a talented family member developed a clever jig to make the cuts and angles more precise and consistent. After showing them at a few cons and getting great interest on Twitter and Instagram we felt that Kickstarter would be the right approach. To offer these to the gaming world it was clear our little home shop couldn’t possibly do this right. The quest began... contacting people who might have the equipment, capacity, and materials knowledge to produce these properly. Over many months (actually over a year) and a slew of prototypes, changes, wood testing, and exploring options we finally feel ready to exhume the Dice Crypt and bring it to life in the gaming world.
A great crypt needs some great art. Fantasy artist Allen Genta was commissioned to come up with cool designs to grace the lids and provide a selection of original engraving choices. We are dying to see which designs people choose when creating their crypt. The beauty of the Kickstarter model is that our backers will tell us exactly what they want us to produce so we don't waste time and precious capital on stuff that has no appeal.
To keep things simple to execute, our reward options are set at a reasonable number and there are no stretch goals. Yes, there will be add-on items available from vendor friends after funding in the pledge manager.
So here is what we propose to build:
- The dice crypt will measure 7.75” long x 2.75” wide (at the coffin shoulder) x 1.375” tall Or for our metric system gamers: 17.5cm x 7cm x 3.3cm tall.
- The Family Crypt has eight (8) – 1” holes (2.5cm) to keep your dice in their rightful place of rest. Room for a full set of 7 polyhedral dice with an extra spot for that special/lucky die (we all have at least one).
- The Open Crypt version is just that -open- and can hold 11 or more dice depending on their size.
- Foam inserts to lovingly cushion the contents.
- Four (4) neodymium magnets to hold the lid shut and keep the dice in.
- A black velvet bag with blue satin lining with a Dice Crypt logo to protect your crypt from sunlight and prying eyes.
- 20 different laser-engraved patterns.
- Ten (10) original art designs by fantasy artist Allen Genta.
- Ten (10) additional designs that might be a fit for your character, class or attitude.
- You will be able to purchase extra engraved lids so you can swap out the tops depending on your mood or character.
- Four (4) standard woods – Oak, Black Walnut, Okoume, or Merbau.
- Four (4) premium woods – Padauk, Zebrawood, Purpleheart, or Sapelle.
- Domestic USA shipping will be via USPS Priority Mail (2 can fit in a small flat rate box). Shipments to Canada will be via First-Class Package.
You have a choice of woods from around the world, each with its own distinctive color and grain pattern. These varieties were chosen for their visual appeal as well as engraving qualities. And yes, we've made a conscious decision not to use any woods that are listed as endangered on the IUCN Red List.
What can we say but thanks for your support? Let us know where you intend to stick these stickers.
Orders will be filled on a first come, first served basis taking into account the backer number. All products will ship at the same time. If you have any questions about products and locations, please private message us for more information.
Surveys and add-ons will be processed through the pledge manager.
USA: $7 via Priority Mail (Two crypts will fit in a small flat rate box). The Graveyard (4 crypts) $14
Canada: $15 via First Class Package
To keep things easy to execute we are not going to be shipping to other countries for this Kickstarter. Once all orders are fulfilled we will open things up to international shipping.
Risks and challenges
As with any Kickstarter project, there are potential risks and challenges. For this campaign, we have been working with the manufacturer for over a year and have taken the prototype process slowly and carefully. If this Kickstarter goes nuts and it seems we are getting buried we will start locking the original rewards. Based on production capacity new rewards with updated delivery dates will be opened. Orders will be filled on a first come, first served basis taking into account the backer number. If there are any delays or an unforeseen zombie apocalypse we will inform backers immediately.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)