WE HAVE COME A LONG WAY
Thanks to our amazing backers from our first campaign in 2015, we had the funds to create a solid foundation for our business. We now have a location and we must make it a good place for everyone - cats and customers!
We have our equipment and plans. Now we just need to create the environment so that everything can be put in its right place.
We are two gals who have been working toward this since 2014. Ever since we learned of the concept, we have been determined to open the first cat cafe in Minnesota. Despite all of the obstacles we have encountered, we are still here and ready to bring Minneapolis the cat cafe that it deserves.
THE CAFE MEOW PROVIDES
This is a place where you can:
- Relax and play with rescue cats
- Drink quality coffee or tea
- Adopt a cat you fall in love with
- Meet others who love cats as much as you do
- Visit with cats if you cannot have your own at home
- Experience something new and unique
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP
We are looking for help to finalize Minneapolis' First Cat Cafe and need your help. Please support our local business and help bring the final touches needed to make the space comfortable for both cats and people.
We are located at 2323 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis MN. We have signed a lease and are now working on construction to make our dream a reality!
1. How will this work? The space is one space separated into two areas. One area is a cat lounge housing local rescue cats that are adoptable through the rescue that provides them. The second area is a cafe providing organic coffee and teas along with locally made sweets.
2. Can I bring my cat? You CAN NOT bring your cat. We provide a space to relax and play with the cats that are provided by our rescue partners.
3. Do I have to pay to get in? There will be a $10.00 entrance fee to the cat lounge. This helps pay for their food, litter, employees and cat housing at the cafe.
WE HAVE PAVED THE WAY
Our first campaign in 2015 helped us get to where we are today.
We have overcome many obstacles in these couple years. By doing so, we have done a lot of growing. We have:
- Joined the North American Cat Cafe Embassy
- Built our brand
- Marketed our concept and grew an amazing following
- Gained wonderful local partnerships
- Helped sponsor and back rescue events
- Resolved a zoning use conflict
- Found a great location with a landlord who was interested in our unique concept
- Assembled a team of investors who are providing the majority of our funding
The last Kickstarter helped us promote the business as we worked towards finding a location. The money went toward items such as:
- Online Marketing
- Business registration and legal fees
- Marketing events like the Pet Expo
- Website costs
- Helping to sponsor local cat rescue events
Without it and our own money, we would have never got this far. Read our Blog to see some of the hurdles we had to overcome in the past years to get to where we are now.
Finally we have signed the lease for a location and need to renovate it so that it can become Minneapolis' first cat cafe!
Read on to find out more about us and our values.
Making a positive impact is our goal. We will be providing a beneficial place for the community to come relax and our space will provide cats a better chance to get good homes.
Working with other local small businesses to create The Cafe Meow's experience is integral to our business model. We have met some fantastic people on our journey who have been immensely helpful in getting us to where we are today.
We deeply appreciate the time that small business owners from around the Twin Cities have taken with us in order to help us make The Cafe Meow a reality and we look forward to becoming a beneficial addition to our neighborhood.
We choose to work with people who are passionate in their work
Passion is something that this project does not lack; we care about what we do and pour ourselves into it. As individuals, we both care about doing our work right and doing it well.
Each person that we have met through our rescue partner organizations has shown a deep love for what they do. They care so much about their cats that they have helped us develop our vetting and screening standards so that everyone (cats and customers!) will be well taken care of.
The same goes for everybody that we have met on the cafe side of things. The products that our partners create are their pride and joy and we will work with them to ensure that their products are delivered optimally, the way that they intend it.
The value of transparency
Honesty is something that we have grown to appreciate even more than we did before starting a business. Transparency is something that we care about not only between ourselves and our partners, but with our customer base as well.
Any time somebody has a question for us, we are happy to answer openly and honestly. (And if we don't know the answer, we will honestly tell you so! And we will get back to you when we find out.) Because of our experiences in this process so far, we strive for excellent communication with everyone who works with us.
As we have previously stated, we will be offering only organic and fair trade coffee and teas and will implement practices where we can to ensure that we have control over our carbon footprint.
Working with others who value quality will help The Cafe Meow become a quality business. All our people care about quality in their work and products.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE PARTNERS
What our merchandise looks like:
Risks and challenges
After all that we have overcome so far, we believe there is nothing further that will prevent us from making The Cafe Meow a reality. We have already recovered when all seemed hopeless regarding our funding, we have already tackled our zoning issue, the city has approved our renovation plans for our space and construction is already in progress.
We have been working with Zoning, Licensing, Planning, and Health Departments and with Minneapolis Animal Care and Control and the Minnesota Board of Animal Health to ensure that our future operations comply with all rules. There is no way that anybody or anything will stop us now.
Because of the help we received through our first campaign, we have managed to find this space. Now we just need to make it our home!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)