This August Team Sprocket will be leaving these London shores in order to break our Edinburgh Fringe seal with devilishly funny new play THE RULES: SEX, LIES & SERIAL KILLERS - and we need your help to get us there!
Who we are: Lila Whelan - writer, Jez Pike - director, Isabel Dixon - associate producer, Suneeda Maruthiyil - designer, Alex Pearson - stage manager
Cast: Catherine Nix-Collins, Neil Chinneck, Ben Higgins and Lila Whelan.
Glad you asked! Toying with our current gleeful obsession with TV anti-heroes (House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire), THE RULES is a deliciously deviant imagining of what serial killers get up to behind closed doors.
It's a dark, sexy and brilliantly funny play that's so original it quite possibly creates its own genre; the blackly comic serial-killer romance. Full of quick-fire dialogue, believably-grounded characters and mischievous twists, THE RULES manages to be both a devilish roller-coaster ride and a truthful rendering of love in the most unlikely places.
Psychopaths Jay, Mel and Steven meet up once in a while to unwind, hang up their guns and let their hair down - within a few guidelines established for their protection and anonymity of course. But when the innocent Teresa enters their world, loyalties are tested and the rules start to get broken, one by one. And when serial killers break the rules, the consequences can be a little...messy. But hey, rules are made to be broken, aren't they?
- First up the show is genuinely awesome and you're going to love it.
- Secondly because Sprocket makes thrillingly original theatre that moves, haunts, challenges and - most importantly - entertains. We say boo to the boring and the pretentious and the over-reliance on celebrity-fronted stuffy old plays that colours London’s West End.
- Thirdly, we are on a mission to provide more roles for women and so all of our productions consist of at least 50% women (on and off stage).
- Fourthly, in every production we engage and support new and emerging talent.
- Finally, Edinburgh is just the start of our journey with The Rules - with your help we can make it a huge success up north and then the world's our oyster!
The money you'll donate will go lovingly towards hiring a rehearsal space for 4 weeks (£600), printing flyers and posters (£200), buying props and costumes (£250), creating the set (£350), transporting all of that lot (£50), along with our eight-person team (£550), up to Edinburgh!*
*and maybe back down again if they're well behaved.
Okey doke! On Wednesday 15 July we'd like to invite everyone who's donated £10 or more to attend THE RULES launch party Pub Quiz night with our cast and crew.
- Where: the Reliance Pub, 336 Old St, London EC1V 9DR www.thereliancepub.co.uk
- When: 15 July, doors open at 6.15pm
- Tickets can be bought by pledging on our Kickstarter
There'll be fantastic raffle prizes up for grabs, a pub quiz with special serial-killer flavoured round with a tip-top secret prize (it is GOOD!) and generally lots of rowdy fun to send us off on our way.
Prizes to be announced - keep checking back!
We've been working tirelessly on this show since 2013, from it's earliest infancy with a showcase at the Old Red Lion Theatre in 2013 right through to a series of workshops and rehearsed readings in 2014 and 2015.
2015 rehearsed reading:
2014 rehearsed reading:
With thanks to the talents of Abigail Pickard Price, Keira Duffy, James Thorne, Ruth McMeel, Cameron Harle, Charlie Haskins, Rob Welling and Natasha Killam.
Sprocket's 2013 debut production THE DEEP SPACE
London Previews: 20 & 21 July @ 7pm, Theatre503, 503 Battersea Park Road, SW11 3BW
Edinburgh: 7 - 22 August @ 21:50, 24 - 29 August @ 20:35, theSpace on the Mile, Edinburgh
Risks and challenges
Our risks mainly consist of reaching our fundraising target!
Making theatre is an exciting and risky business but we're prepared for everything Edinburgh can through at us (including the weather) and we're already a good half way through our fundraising endeavours - we just need that extra support from you to reach our goal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)