A little about us:
We are a rock and roll band from Southern California who have been playing since 2009. In 2010, we released a 6-song EP that we co-produced with Max Coane (Jack's Mannequin/The Rocket Summer) and we spent the better part of the year writing music and playing all over the West Coast.
In 2011 we produced our 1st full length LP, a live 10-track recording made from scratch in our rehearsal space, and took time to tour the East Coast as well as defend our title of "Best Band" at UCLA (a title we've held 2 years running). We've had the pleasure of gigging with bands like Fountains of Wayne, Marcy Playground, Kid is Qual and Shwayze in our 3 years together.
Since January, we've been recording our 3rd album at Sonikwire Studios in Orange County with producer, Mr. John Lowson. This is the first time we've ever worked with a producer and has been a real learning experience. There is so much we've learned about our sound in the studio and the direction we want to take moving forward. Our dream is to take it all the way, and have as many people as possible get the chance to hear our music.
We are are trying our best to get our music to you! What's stopping us? Well geez, could it be anything other than money?
It's expensive to make music, and it's darn near impossible to get it distributed, but we think with a little help from our friends... we'll "get by".
Here's where the money will go:
- Compact Discs : We plan to press anywhere between 500-1000 CDs in our 1st press. Our estimates have us paying up to $2,000 for our album to get on a disc!
- Vinyl : It costs a TON of money to make traditional albums these days, but we totally think it would sound just right on some good 'ol wax! We plan to press at least 100 records in our 1st press. Our initial estimates have us paying up to $800 for our album to get on vinyl!
Here's what we're offering in return:
There's so many things we can think of to give you in return for your support. So depending on your level of involvement, you'll get cool stuff like:
- Pre-released digital versions of the album
- Hard copies of the album (CD and/or vinyl)
- Hand-written notes from the band, or lyrics from Brenton
- DVDs made by the band of their recording process
- Personalized songs about/to/for you, performed by the band
- Private acoustic parties with guitarist Nicky Papageorge
- Private vocal lessons at your house from keyboardist Nathan Longdon
- 18 holes on your course with Brenton and Chris (municipal tracks, wise guy!)
- Free pass to all of thatwasthen's California shows
- Your name in the liner notes of the original album art
- Brenton's first electric guitar
- A private show at your house (in California) or our personal studio in LA
- A spot on Brenton's body, in the form of a $1000 bill, to be tattooed permanently
Here's where more money could go:
We hope that at some point we'll be able to raise enough to cover the initial costs of making CDs and records, but should we find ourselves overfunded, we can think of a thousand ways that money could improve this whole project!
- Mixing and Mastering : After the recordings are finished, you need to pay someone to mix them. After that, it needs to be specially trimmed for sonic aberrations and other excess noises. Also, someone wants to get paid for that.
Pay an Artist : We think it would be cool to support another artist's dreams with this money. We could pay a real artist to make special designs just for our album and merchandise!
Pay our Producer : As of now, our Producer is working with us solely out of the goodness of his heart. Aside from a few chicken teryaki bowls, this man has been compensated with nothing but our mere presence. Let's break him off some!
Make Merchandise : We have all kinds of ideas for cool t-shirts, promotional posters, stickers and other gear, but this all costs copious amounts of dough. Of course, should we make it you'll be first to get a copy!
Promote our Record : We may want to hire a PR team to promote our record. Or we could promote it by touring! We'll need some gas money with the kind of mileage we get!
How YOU Can Help:
- Throw in some money : Anything you can spare will be so very appreciated. If we don't fund the project in time, you get to keep your pledge!
- Raid your change bucket : You've got some in the couch cushions. Your ashtray in the car is a likely hiding spot for change. We know you think small contributions won't count, but they do! PLUS, you'll be getting something cool in return, like music and merchandise and hand-written lyric sheets!
- Spread the word : Even if you don't have money to contribute, please share this link with others on Facebook, StumbleUpon, Twitter, Digg & Reddit! LIKE this page (it's just below the video at the top) or Tell all of your friends about our fundraising efforts, especially the ones who love music and the ones with some dough to spare. ;)
The Journey Begins...
The music is almost ready, now all we need is your help! We want to thank everyone for all of their support in the past. We really love making music together and it's been because of you that we've been able to do it for almost 3 years. This album will be our best recording to date; we want to share it with EVERYONE! This is the best way we know how to say THANK YOU to all of our friends, family and fans.
A MILLION THANKS TO YOU ALL,
Nathan, Brenton, Benny, Chris & Nicky
Support this project
- (34 days)