A Delay in Shipping
Long=Short – Shipping delayed for 3-4 weeks because of two reasons, 1) our vacuum chamber blew its seal keeping us from degassing our rubber, 2) the plugs in the main tile mould are not fitting due to an error in the their master mould when we adjusted for an issue back in January involving the thickness of the plugs.
Our plan was to be telling you today that we would be locking down addresses on Monday (March 23rd) and start shipping by Wednesday (March 25th), which would mean everything out the door before April 1st. Unfortunately, yesterday we had two incidents that are making that plan no longer possible. We are looking at 3-4 weeks because the two reasons below. We know this is a wordy update, but we do want to keep you well informed and not say 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain'.
The first incident was that our vacuum chamber that we use to de-gas our rubber blew a seal and cannot pull enough vacuum to do its job. That was not too bad as it means a day or two to get a new seal and replace it.
The second incident and one we will go into more detail about is that when we started packaging up items yesterday. We were putting together the first batch of Main Tile moulds when it was discovered that the plugs were not fitting into the mould base. I took a set of calipers to both to discover that the square plugs were 0.5mm too large in either of the two main directions causing a 0.25mm overlap on the ridges in the base of the mould (you can see the difference in the picture below). Tracing back and looking though our logs, we found where the issue arose. Back in January the plugs were too thick, so we had to re-print the master mould for the plugs. Once the new mould arrived we only re-tested for the thickness and did not line up six plugs across the mould like we originally did. When you send an item to be 3D printed you tell the printer what you originally drew the model in either Millimeters or Inches. While the particular dimensions were the same in the master mould's model, in once case we told the printer inches and in the told we told millimeters. This is an issue because this information tells their program where to round off the dimensions too when telling the printer how to print the model. The result was the first set of plugs fit great with the grid lines but were too thick for the mould, the second fit great thickness wise but were just slightly too big fit into the grid. We have included some video and images to show you.
You can see that the plugs are almost the right size as you can get them to fit, but the minute you apply pressure (say with a roller or stamp) they pop out.
We truly see ourselves an R&D company bringing gamers the ‘next big thing’ in scenery creation and we feel that means the product needs to be right the first time you get it. We believe this lets you know that while there may be some bumps along the way YOU as a backer will be able to say years down the line, I helped evolve the way we create things for gaming. Anyone who has ordered from us will also say we take pride in the fact that we push to also get things to you on time, we have always made up for it if we feel we have delivered late (which of course this time we definitely will be). This will be no exception we are talking about a few ideas to make up for you needing to wait the few extra weeks, we will be posting that in the next update on April 5th. We know you may have some questions please feel free to message us or comment here. Please be patient for an answer as we push to solve the issue at hand.
Thanks everyone for your support and understanding,