About this project
Our Texture and Accent stamps are designed to allow anyone to create bases for their wargaming & RPG miniatures that look professionally sculpted, with little need of money, time, or even skill. Textures have simple patterns like bricks or stone while accents have items like sewer covers or bones to add interest. To use the stamps all you need is to put a little sculpting putty on your base and press the stamp pattern you want, then allow the putty to harden. Multiple stamping may be needed when mixing and matching textures and accents, but they give the sculptor endless possibilities of bases for a fraction of the cost of resin bases, an almost no time compared to gluing together bits. Advanced sculptors can use the stamps as a jumping off point to reduce project sculpting time.
Our stamps are made of a urethane rubber, and are 3/8" thick made to last for years. They are 3" X 5" to allow for larger bases and greater variety of texture.
1. Allow us to create a higher quality product- We are looking to get our master molds 3D printed. This will allow us to “crisp up” the stamp edges and textures like steel plates, tiles, and accents. The stamps will also gain some details we could not even think of offering prior to this project. You can see in the photos below the dramatic improvement your support will have.
2. Allow us to improve the line- We are at the point of deciding what is working and what needs improvement. This will involve increasing the number of accents and adding some support products like putty and bases. With stretch goals we can add even more.
3. Help us get the product out there- We have be quite successful so far, selling well over 500 stamps with little to no marketing, just word of mouth and some reviews. Kickstarter itself will help us get the word out, and a cleaner product will allow us to sell through more means than just our own online store. Retailers who have used our stamps agree that the product is great and worth carrying, but they all agree the stamps need to look cleaner if we want to see it on their walls, or more importantly flying off their walls.
4. Put the our stamps in your hands!- Let’s face we all like to come to Kickstarter for two things support ideas we believe in and the SWAG! Ask anyone who has contacted us for tournament support or customer service, we want to see people happily using our stamps, this campaign will be no different. Just look at our pledges, we start with a chance to get more stamps for your buck during the campaign, and we will be throwing in some basing putty. Our stretch goals will add even more; we are planning on free bases, more stamps, and some surprises!
This is the kind of improvement you should expect to see in our stamps from this Kickstarter. Both tan stamps were pulled from prototype molds that our 3D printer sent us, the black ones are from our hand made molds we are using now. While one or two small tweaks are in order for the Sewers & Grates Stamp, we are quite excited with possibilities of this new production level!
When we meet goal we will be producing 20 different stamps (15 Textures and 5 Accent) plus the pledge sampler stamp, more stamps will be unlocked with stretch goals. We will be 3D printing the new molds so that lines will be crisper and cleaner, things like tiles & steel will be more uniform, and the details can be more complex. Here are some 50mm bases that have been created with the stamps we have produced over the past two years. Remember the new molds will make these look even cleaner! Many of the first fifteen textures will be similar to what we have already produced, with a few new ones added to the line. All of the accents will be new. Be sure to watch the update section for renderings of the new mold plates so you can see what impressions will left on your base after stamping.
The Pledge Sampler Stamp- This stamp will have four patterns on it, similar to the textures above. Measuring in at 3.5" X 3.5" it is great for the hobby person on the go. It will include: Flag Stone, Narrow Wood, Random Steel Plate, and one Kickstarter exclusive texture, MASS GRAVE, which will consist of a layer of human bones. It will also be labeled on the side to show you pledged to our Kickstarter.
On the left is the CAD drawing of the sampler textures that will be printed. The Mass Grave you see to the right will go in that blank spot you see on the CAD drawing. The bases are a 20mm square & 30mm round to show you the scale. For more detailed pictures check out updates #7 & #8.
For those that would like a second and third opinion, we have had a number of reviews including some demos on other websites. With Podcasts we have posted the time stamp to the start of our review, but it would be great if you could listen to the whole thing out of respect of the Pod Casters who put a lot of work into their shows.
Shiny Penny Musings- written review with pictures about a 1/3 of the way down the page. http://shinypennymusings.tumblr.com/
Boosted Damage Podcast- around the 39:30 mark. http://www.boosteddamage.com/?p=440
The Eternal Warriors- Right at the start of the podcast "easier than painting".
Hand Cannon Online came up with some great demos of some advanced basing work that becomes super easy with our texture stamps. We also are proud of being listed on their top ten gift list for two Holiday Seasons in a row now.
Wargaming Tradecraft- A great brand new review of our pre-kickstarter product with some alternative ways to bring the textures from the stamp to your base.
For those wanting a bit more here are some extras you can purchase to help you in with your base stamping needs. To purchase add-ons, pledge an additional dollar amount, over your chosen pledge, equal to the extras you would like. After the campaign the survey we will send you will have a spot for you to inform us which add-ons you wanted.
Happy Seppuku Model Works is a family owned company that is dedicated to helping others in the hobby we love. We like to find new and inventive ways to improve the models and scenery of their games, all while trying to help our customers save money in the long run. We have been producing our base texture stamps for two years now with great success; however we are ready to step up our game a bit. This means improving our tools and offering an even better product than what our customers are already raving about.
Risks and challenges
We have been producing texture stamps in house for over two years now, and we have worked out the kinks with production system, so there will be no problems there. Problems that could occur would only cause a delay, these would be:
1. Our 3D printer could get booked up. This could cause a delay of a few weeks.
2. Overwhelming success. Ironically being super successful could cause a delay, mainly with rubber supply. Our distributor tells us that the company will have enough rubber; however it may have to come for the other side of the country, if they do not have enough on hand. Great success may also mean bringing in some more people and training them on how to properly produce stamps, which could take a week or so.
3. Surprise! We cannot account for everything, me getting hit by a bus, aliens blasting our work shop. We can tell you that we and those already enjoying our stamps believe in this project and Happy Seppuku will keep you in the loop should the unexpected happen.
Support this project
- (30 days)