SUPPORT TEST - YOU'RE IN GOOD COMPANY!
Pledges to TEST are tax deductible through Serious Productions, Inc., a non-profit 501-c-3.
With prestigious grants from the San Francisco Film Society, the Kenneth Rainin Foundation and the Horizons Foundation, Serious Productions recently completed principal photography on TEST, the second feature film by award-winning writer-director Chris Mason Johnson (see the trailer for THE NEW TWENTY below). With your support through this Kickstarter campaign, we will be able to finish post-production on TEST and launch it at a major international film festival before bringing it to you via VOD, Netflix and in your local art house theater. (Read on for an explanation of what "post-production" entails.)
THE STORY OF TEST
TEST is a poignant, powerful story of friendship and hope in a time of crisis, set in the San Francisco modern dance scene of 1985 in the early years of the AIDS epidemic: when headlines threatened a gay quarantine, when nobody knew for certain how the disease spread, when dancers were afraid to touch each other because they might get it from sweat...
From the trauma of the AIDS epidemic there were stories of suffering and death, and political activism, that needed to be told first. But the early history of the epidemic is big and complicated, and there are untold stories that frame the subject in a different light and need to be heard now as well. TEST is one of these. It's a very personal movie with universal appeal: protagonist Frankie is a classic underdog who faces homophobic bullying at work and the newly named AIDS epidemic outside of it. His courage and resilience are tested.
A PROVEN TRACK RECORD
The filmmaking team behind TEST brings an enormous amount of commitment, passion and experience to this project, as well as a proven track record with a successful first feature. THE NEW TWENTY currently streams on Amazon Instant, iTunes, Vudu, Blockbuster.com and WolfeOnDemand, and is available on DVD from Netflix, Wolfe Video and Amazon. MTV Logo purchased THE NEW TWENTY for broadcast, and it's also distributed in the U.K., Canada, Germany and France. It's a small film that has found an audience, and with your support TEST can find an even larger one.
THE TEAM BEHIND TEST
TEST has brilliant new choreography by critically acclaimed choreographer Sidra Bell, original music by renowned composer Ceiri Torjussen, and beautiful cinematography by up-and-coming Director of Photography Daniel Marks, as well as a cast that includes Matthew Risch, fresh from his leading role on Broadway in OTHER DESERT CITIES, and dancers from the San Francisco Ballet, Joffrey Ballet, and local modern dance companies in San Francisco. (See below for writer-director Chris Mason Johnson's bio and a full list of Cast and Crew.)
TEST has been shot on an ultra-low budget without sacrificing a high production value, and now that we've shot a beautiful film we need to fund post-production.
WHAT IS POST-PRODUCTION?
It's everything that happens after the film is shot and before it's ready to market and screen. Shooting a film is only half the story. Next comes: editing, mixing the sound, color correcting the footage, creating a full-length original score, paying for additional music rights and editing music to picture, plus all kinds of technical details to conform the film to HD standards so it can be streamed, downloaded and projected.
With your support we look forward to finishing post-production on TEST and sharing it with you and audiences around the world!
Writer/Director CHRIS MASON JOHNSON
Chris Mason Johnson began his career as a dancer in ballet and modern companies throughout the U.S. and Europe, including the Frankfurt Ballet and White Oak Dance Project with Mikhail Baryshnikov. Since his transition to film he has worked as Head of Development at Open City Films; as Script Editor and Analyst for Miramax, Dimension, Disney, ABC Family and Fine Line; and has taught screenwriting and/or film production at Rutgers University and Amherst College.
After making several short films that played at festivals nationwide, Chris co-wrote, directed and produced his first feature, THE NEW TWENTY (2009), which won multiple festival awards, was purchased for Broadcast, DVD and Internet, and had a limited theatrical release to strong reviews: "Sharp, intelligent writing. Erotic tension and intriguing ambiguity. A stylish production." (The Hollywood Reporter).
Check out the trailer for THE NEW TWENTY:
The CAST of TEST:
- FRANKIE: Scott Marlowe
- TODD: Matthew Risch
- MOLLY: Katherine Wells
- TOMMY: Rory Hohenstein
- SAM: Myles Thatcher
- SERGIO: Sergio Benvindo
- DAVID: James Sofranko
- TYLER: Evan Boomer
- DR. CORBETT: Damon Sperber
- BILL: Kevin Clarke
- WALT: Kristoffer Cusick
- JENNIFER: Madison Keesler
PRODUCERS & CREW of TEST:
- PRODUCERS: Chris Martin, Chris Mason Johnson
- EXEC PRODUCERS: Elizabeth Pang Fullerton, Nelson Gonzalez, Jenni Olson, Ian Reinhard
- CO-PRODUCER: Laura Heberton
- ASSOCIATE PRODUCERS: Abigail Hunter, Maia Rosal, Garen Scribner
- DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY: Daniel Marks
- PRODUCTION DESIGN: Rollin Hunt
- CHOREOGRAPHY: Sidra Bell
- ORIGINAL MUSIC: Ceiri Torjussen
- EDITOR: Adam Raponi
- COSTUME DESIGN: Kristen McCullough
- PROPERTY MASTER: Jeska Lapin
- HAIR & MAKEUP: Emily Sims
- 2nd ASSISTANT DIRECTOR: Andrew Blazensky
- Ist ASSISTANT CAMERA: Conci Althouse
- 2nd ASSISTANT CAMERA: Chuy Valadez
- SOUND RECORDIST: David Sandwisch
- GAFFER: Jonas Sacks
- KEY GRIP: Gavin Davenport
- SCRIPT SUPERVISOR: Randall Smith
- PRODUCTION COORDINATOR: Christian Smith
- WARDROBE SUPERVISOR: Erica Wallis
- ASSISTANT COSTUMER: Mia Mikowicz
- COSTUME INTERN: Kersten Stanley-Jones
- ASSISTANT HAIR & MAKEUP: Nicole Perez
- STILLS PHOTOGRAPHY: Annie McRay
- ASSISTANT EDITOR: Chris Dobbins
- BOOM OPERATOR: Kevin Crawford
- ASSISTANT PROP MASTER: Alexandria Scott
- GRIP/ELECTRIC SWING: Will Green, Noah Ramos
- ART DIRECTOR: Aimee Goguen
- ART INTERNS: Alexa Loftus, Marshall R. Pettygrove
- PRODUCTION DESIGN INTERNS: Aaron Zaragoza, Jesus Cortes
- CRAFT SERVICES: Heather Jackson
- WEB DESIGN: Ofori Amponsah
- PRODUCTION ASSISTANTS: Stephan Gonzalez, Louis Cooley, Kathryn Glickman, Gavin Murray, Kristofer Garcia-Mason, Anna Zilberman, Matt Young
- (32 days)