About this project
We did it! But don't stop now
There is still time before the end to receive the gifts that are being offered only for this campaign. There are some really awesome Terry Kath memorabilia. Once we run out of stickers we will reissue them but with a new design. So get this series with Terry Kath logo. Also, Annie is in the studio working on some amazing original art for the film. Don't miss out on her prints. Visit www.terrykath.com for gift descriptions
Check out the stretch goals below...
We can't thank you enough for your donations to this film.
Meeting our stretch goals will allow us to complete the film in time for our ambitious goal of submitting to the 2015 film festival circuit by being able to employ the whole team full time from now through the new year. It will also allow us to make a higher quality film by having more of a budget for motion graphic projects, animation, music, and packaging.
Message from Michelle:
"The idea to make a film about my father came to me many years ago when, in looking through old photos of him, I realized that I didn't know his full story. I've since learned that his is the quintessential story of an all-American boy raised in the midwest, who, at a young age, picks up a guitar, falls in love with it, and goes on to become a famous 70's rock star. With all the highs and lows that come along with success, my father's life ended suddenly before my 3rd birthday.
My journey of discovery began with the first interview. I could only have dreamed that making this film would bring me this much closer to my father and would help me better understand the man he was and the decisions he made. Meeting these people and hearing their stories are memories that will stay with me forever. I am forever grateful to all that have helped me to take this journey and to discover this man."
The 1st Kickstarter Campaign:
The success of our first Kickstarter campaign allowed me to finally begin production on the documentary. With those donations we were able to:
- Film interviews with Robert Lamm, Lee Loughnane, Walt Parazaider, Danny Seraphine, Uncle Rod Kath, Joe Walsh, Dean DeLeo (of Stone Temple Pilots), Jerry Vaccarino, my mom, and my godfather Mario (of the Whiskey A-Go-Go).
- Travel to Chicago and tour my Dad's childhood romps, visit with his brother, and attend a tribute concert at his high school.
- Travel to Caribou Ranch where we were the last crew to film on the day before the keys were handed over to the new owners.
- Assemble an awesome and experienced production team as well as a post-production team to begin to build concepts and story arcs.
Why a 2nd Kickstarter Campaign:
We are very excited to move into post-production and complete an amazing film to honor my Dad. Kickstarter has allowed me to have 100% control over the film and have no compromises in telling my Dad's story. Here is what the funds from this campaign will go toward:
- The final interviews and shoot days
- Edit the film. A short sentence that includes hours upon hours of work. This is were we use all the amazing footage we have shot, archival footage, photos, and memorabilia to compose an amazing film.
- Motions graphics will be a big part of the film. It will allow us to bring people's stories to life through old photos. This will add huge value to the film.
- Animation and portraits of Terry will add a 70's feel. Our inspiration is from a series of books called 'Rock'n Pop Stars' Portrait artist Annie Terrazzo is working on four pieces for the film, which we will animate.
- Sound mixing is an important part of a music documentary. Especially when dealing with 30 year old recordings, old radio interviews, and live performances.
Stretch goal info coming soon...
Risks and challenges
The first and largest obstacle in making any independent film is raising the funds and then using them wisely. I can't even tell you how many meetings I had where I heard, "this is a really great idea, but..." and that is where they would turn me down. When I found Kickstarter I was so excited that I had finally found a platform for raising funds and I no longer had to wait for someone else to make it happen.
For me, the second challenge was being the sole driving force behind the film. I am a first-time filmmaker, which means that there was a huge learning curve these past two years as I struggled to not only put this project together, but also to learn the art of filmmaking. I've been able to overcome that obstacle with a superb production team that I have collected along the way. We've come so far with this project and, with your help, we can wrap up our few remaining interviews, edit it all together, and begin submitting it to film festivals in the coming months!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (37 days)