UPDATE 10-31-16 - FINISHING TOUCHES!:
BIG SCHOOL is a gigantic 6-foot-wide maniacal architectural drawing of a humorous school that I began in December 2015. With your support, I will finish the drawing and make super high-quality, beautifully saturated 24” x 36” prints and a 16-page coloring book. Everything will be delivered in time for the holidays.
Since transitioning from holding a day-job for The Man to becoming an artist/stay-at-home dad for two young boys, school related matters are always on my mind. I also happen carry with me a load of psychological baggage that stems from my own traumatic days as a failed pupil (being held back in the 1st grade in the meanest of ways, burning my right nipple off in a failed science experiment and getting expelled in 8th grade, etc). Because starting a series of Teacher Portraits from Memory wasn't as therapeutic as I had hoped, it seemed obvious that the third drawing in my "BIG" series should be of a SCHOOL.
What you can get:
- Very high quality, frame-ready 24" x 36" full color BIG SCHOOL print
- 16-page artisanal coloring book of BIG SCHOOL
- Anti-drug campaign pencil that changes its message as you use it
- Set of 3 steel and enamel cloisonné donut pins
- Prints from my previous campaigns
- Original, custom 5" x 5" graphite & watercolor drawing where I interpret whatever word you give me (you also decide if it's rated PG or R)
- Original, custom 8" x 10" ink & watercolor donut drawings where I interpret whatever word you give me into a custom donut
- Original "number-architecture" artwork created exclusively for this campaign (Classroom numbers 0-9)
- Pleasurable hours of visual stimulation look at your BIG SCHOOL print which includes search & find activities <SPOILER ALERT> click here.
- Deep satisfaction in knowing that you make these drawings possible
How you can help:
- Share this campaign with your friends or anyone you think might be into it
- Make a pledge and get some amazing stuff, not available anywhere else, delivered in time for the holidays
- Collaborate with me: pledge for one of the custom drawings (half the usual price). I'll make an original pen & ink and watercolor drawing specifically for you
- Complete a page in your BIG SCHOOL coloring book and send me a photo of your work to be included in an online exhibition in Spring, 2017
(Below, 9 months of ink and watercolor in 40 seconds)
What I love most about these campaigns is that it enables me to offer my work at prices that anyone can afford. Though I've had my art exhibited world-wide, am lucky enough to have my drawings placed in a number of permanent museum collections and I've drawn for publications like The New York Times, McSweeney's and Rolling Stone, the fact that so many people are willing to display some of my work in their homes thanks to these Kickstarter campaigns means a great deal to me.
Another aspect I love about this project are the brainstorming sessions that my 6- and 11-year-old boys held in order to come up with ideas on what to include in BS.
Click this link for clues and hints on how to find secret stuff within the drawing.
Below, a look at what a day in my studio is like as I work on BIG SCHOOL:
BIG SCHOOL Coloring Book: if you send me your best, completed (colored) page I'll include it in an online exhibition on teplin.com in the spring of 2017.
Below, see how I introduced two donuts into a gentle embrace ("Color Guard" & "Salutatorian" pledge levels)
Changes From My Previous 'BIG' Campaigns:
- BIG SCHOOL is now a standard size print (24” x 36” for inexpensive framing options).
- BIG SCHOOL now has loads of Easter eggs and jelly-filled surprises throughout the composition making return viewing absolutely MANDATORY
- BIG SCHOOL has an official web page with spoilers & hints, in case you need them.
- I invested in exclusive BS rewards before I launched the campaign so I already have the cloisonné pins, coloring books and idiot-pencils in my studio so they're ready to ship. No risk at them not arriving before the holidays.
- Most outside walls on the BIG SCHOOL architecture have been eliminated so that we can see more of what goes on inside the building.
- BBIG SCHOOL is 12% bigger than my previous "BIG" drawings, allowing me to fit more kooky details into the final print and coloring book.
- My watercolor skills have improved so that the overall composition is more dynamic and each BIG SCHOOL rooms has more depth.
- Less ego in BIG SCHOOL: a huge "SCOTT TEPLIN'S" won't be as prominent as before.
Thanks for your interest in BIG SCHOOL!
If you're still wondering if BIG SCHOOL is for you: it is.
Still not convinced? Here's a BS list of people that will want to pledge their BS support to this BS campaign:
- Parents with kids
- Parents with babies
- Parents with adult children
- Children with parents
- Teachers with kids
- Kids of Teachers
- Donut fans
- Affordable art lovers
- Parents with Teachers
- Teachers with Parents
- Employees of a school
- Affordable art appreciators
- United States Secretaries of Education, past, present and future
I'm painfully aware of how expensive framing can be, especially when the print size doesn't fit into a standard off-the-shelf frame. That's why BIG SCHOOL is a slightly different size than its predecessors. BS measures 24" x 36" which means you can frame it yourself with a butt-load of options available anywhere that sells frames (Michael's, Blick, Hobby Lobby, Target, Wal-Mart, Amazon, Ikea, Dollar Tree, Frame Freaks and I've Been Framed!, etc). Another interesting option I recommend is GLOSSY lamination (not matte). I've done it and it works beautifully. It costs about $20 and most Kinko's/FedEx/Staples stores will do it on the same day. After the print is laminated it becomes virtually indestructible (think about what happens to stuff hanging in your kids' rooms) and you can write on it with dry-erase markers (like when you're searching for all 26 donut letters).
Other Art I Make:
I've been exploring the same four basic themes in my last 20 years as a professional artist: anatomy, architecture, automobiles and donuts. Below is a sampling. Click on each group to see more.
ARTIST STATEMENT Drawing enhances my ability to see inside of things, test how far they can bend, take them apart, put them back together and come to a better understanding of how they work. The imagery I work with harkens back to my youth when I first discovered the things that I love, and continue to obsess over today. My intention is to explore the same engrossing emotions that started to bubble up inside of me then, and I hope to stoke similar feelings in others who view my work.
Risks and challenges
Unless I'm mistaken for a disgraced Yakuza operative and all of my fingers are sliced off by a butcher with severely undiagnosed strabismus, I'm pretty sure I can fulfill all of the reward obligations people have pledged for in a timely manner (every pledge for my previous three BIG CANAL, BIG HOSPITAL and 82 Donuts campaigns were all successfully fulfilled on time).Learn about accountability on Kickstarter