Support LGBT Community Centers, Buy A BLgT Sandwich!
Click the fun green button to the right (or above on mobile) that says "Back This Project." Thanks for joining legend Edie Windsor in making it happen. Now, story time....
Hey, you made it!
Are you hungry? We thought so. If you love equality + food as much as we do, you're in luck. We've created a twist on the classic BLT, to get people out for LGBT equality. Yes, that's right. We've created a brand spanking new sandwich - The BLgT.
// HOW THIS WORKS //
So what are we doing with this epic new sandwich? From May 22-Sept 22, 2015 (we like long summers), we're building 2 Unique BLgT Experiences.
- EXPERIENCE #1 // BLgT WITH US IN YOUR HOME STATE
- BLgTUSA begins in Provincetown, MA on Memorial Day Weekend. We will change cities every 2-3 days (schedule below). Exact location in each city is TBD with our Partner Chefs. Alaska + Hawaii -- we have a special BLgT pop-up coming your way!
- BLgTUSA friends will have the opportunity to play with us online, and in-person when we roll through town. You might even learn something new...
- The BLgTUSA Truck will be a vehicle (heyyy, truck puns!) to share the stories of real people (activists, chefs, centers, you, your mom), spark local conversations about national issues, and get people out for equality in every state.
EXPERIENCE #2 // EAT FOR THE CAUSE ALL SUMMER LONG
- We're partnering chefs with local LGBT community centers to get people out for equality. CenterLink, the network of LGBT Centers, is our incredible nonprofit partner connecting us to centers in your home state.
- Chefs commit to creating their own BLgT sandwich, and putting it on the menu for the duration of the 4 month BLgTUSA Tour. NOTE: The "g" is whatever chefs want it to be. Gouda, guacamole, a side cup of gazpacho... you get it. Expect a few chef "throw downs" for the cause. And YES! There will be a veg friendly option.
- Proceeds from BLgT sandwiches go towards local LGBT Community Centers, that have and will continue to be, heroic boots on the ground. YOU will have the opportunity to support Centers locally by buying a BLgT sandwich in your home state ALL SUMMER LONG!
To get this summer party for a cause started, we need your support TODAY. Your contribution will go towards making the our BLgT Tour happen TOGETHER. Again, your Kickstarter dollars are not direct contributions to the Centers. They are the seed funds to make sure Centers receive promotion and proceeds this summer. LET'S DO THIS.
// LOVING THIS! WAIT, WHY? //
Here are the Top Three BLgT Reasons we're spending 4 months together:
- We believe that policy action needs a dinner date and dance partner to change the hearts and minds of real people. People will step up + take action if it's FUN.
- Everyone needs to eat. Food is universal. Food brings people together.
- Marriage equality has seen UH-mazing historic wins in the last 3 years (Edie Windsor + Robbie Kaplan...swoonnn). BUT! Jaw dropping numbers (below) show that reality is NOT SO HOT (or fair, or nice) for LGBT people in the US. Our Trans friends sadly know it best. And don't even get us started about the situation abroad... next time. We <3 data. Let's dive into the numbers!!
// JAW DROPPING NUMBERS //
We feel you, boo.
Okay, deep breath. Dance break. Let's get down to business.
// WHAT'S THE GOAL? HOW MUCH DOES THIS COST? //
- GOAL // Our goal is to get 1 MILLION PEOPLE OUT FOR EQUALITY IN 2015. This means supporters (you!) backing us today on Kickstarter to make the BLgTUSA Tour happen. Sharing stories, online and in-person. Purchasing sandwiches, with proceeds to Centers. Giving time or donations to local LGBT nonprofits. Doing good, spreading love!
- COSTS // This is going to take some serious bling. We have different scenarios based on the amount of money we raise. Right now, our expected budget is $500,000. The $150,000 Kickstarter Goal will be offset by corporate sponsorship, and friends and family investment.
- MO' MONEY, SIGNIFICANTLY FEWER PROBLEMS // The more we raise on Kickstarter together, the less we have to rely on outside investment. It takes a village, people... HERE WE GOOOOO!
// IN IT TO WIN IT. WHAT NOW? //
You can make the BLgTUSA Tour happen with us by stepping up + supporting at any level. So. Many. Delicious. Rewards!
// GAME TIME. WHO'S COOKING UP THIS GOODNESS? //
We, Taryn + Peter, have been friends for 6 years. We co-founded GET//OUT together in 2014, to create fun ways to support equality. We live together, too. We thank our lucky stars every day to have a DREAM TEAM with us making things happen, most donating personal time + $:
- Allie Esslinger // Video Editing + Strategy (she runs Section II, an amazing "netflix for lesbians" website)
- Amy + Mark Bannon // Life Advisors / Investors
- Andrew Rebennack // Freelance Design (he is a ninja, hire him!)
- Andrew Taverrite // Communications Boo
- Archie Coates, Jeff Franklin, Jonathan O'Brien of PlayLab Inc. // BLgT Brand, Design Strategy + Video Production (ps they're also building + Pool)
- Ash Fulk // Chef Advisor (Culinary Director at Hill Country BBQ - NYC + Top Chef Contestant)
- Dan Chiu, Henry Lee + The Rock Stars at HD Made // Digital + GET//OUT Brand Design
- Denise Spivak // CenterLink LGBT Nonprofit Partner Director
- Deanne Brown // Media Advisor / Startup Goddess
- Eric Peckham // Digital Strategy Advisor
- Gautam Raghavan // LGBT Movement Advisor
- Ildiko Szollosi + Madelyn Spatt Shulman // Legal Loves
- Katie Barnes // LGBT Next Gen Advisor
- Kimberly Moynihan // Comms Strategy Advisor
- Kishan Patel // Kickstarter Advisor
- Leigh Rowan // On-Call Startup Doc / Advisor
- Loryn Lipari // Creative Advisor (she gets it DONE)
- Murat Aktihanoglu // Startup / Investor Advisor
- Stephanie Laffin // Outreach + Talent Strategy
- Vanessa Miller // Chef Advisor (Executive Chef, Mac's Seafood - MA)
Video Cast. Yes, these are real family + friends. SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR LOVES:
- Cal Miller-Stevens + Sam Stevens (Taryn's cool parents <3)
- Allie Esslinger (Cohen's Mom, see above)
- Cohen (Allie's RIDICULOUSLY CUTE pug / team mascot)
- Eric Peckham (gluten free ninja, see above)
- Kathryn Finney (rainmaker, she runs THIS)
- The PlayLab Boys (Archie, Jeff, JOB, see above)
- Trisha Johnson + Baby Lulu (one our surrogate NYC families)
- Ty Tyshiro (Author, Taryn's former rad roommate)
- Zeke Thomas (entrepreneur / DJ, he'll make you shake it ALL BLgT NIGHT LONG)
Are you still hungry? YESSS! Order your VIP BLgT now on the right side of this page (/top if you're on mobile) and cut the summer lines. Or Gas Up Your Home State! $10 to $10,000 -- your support means everything. Thank you for stepping up. Thank you for sharing the BLgT LOVE. We can't wait to see you this summer! For now, we'll see you on the socials...
Order you BLgT today + #BLgTUSA ALL THE WAYYY!
-Taryn + Peter
Risks and challenges
- Weather // It's summer. El Nino might hit North Dakota. Climate change is FOR REAL, so with the weather... you never know. That said, unless there's an apocalyptic summer snow, the show will go on.
- Logistics // The plan is to have partner chefs cook BLgTs in their own kitchens when we roll through town and set-up shop in front of their restaurant. If there are any last minute emergencies (see: "Kitchen Fires"), this might set-us back.
- Kitchen Fires // They happen. They're SCARY!! Hopefully they won't happen in our partner chef's kitchens when we're in town...
- Sickness // While we like to believe we have super human health powers, getting sick is a risk and having our team 100% healthy the whole time is a legit challenge.
- Truck Issues // It's a truck. They break. We have scenarios B and C if this happens, but mechanical issues might make us adjust the schedule.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)