You can also listen to us on “The Fit File“ podcast hosted by DC Rainmaker and GPlama by clicking here
(We’re 43 minutes in).
Tekrapod is an open-water safety device designed by open-water swimmers. Its patent-pending technology includes a seamless, flexible back-pack with light-weight internal bladder and powerful strobe light. The Bladder can be activated by pulling the red toggle.
- Elasticated straps with silicone grippers, gives a snug fit that doesn't chafe even in skins.
- Latest laminated neoprene, ensures a comfortable, neutrally buoyant, race legal device.
- Simple to activate, with a large red pull toggle.
- Back mounted strobe light, for added visibility in the water.
- Simple velcro fastner to ensure the internal bladder remains hidden until you need it.
- Adjustable straps, ensures that the Tekrapod fits all sizes from XXS to XXL.
- Streamlined front closure is hydrodynamic and ideal for surfers who lay chest down on boards.
Our team of open-water swimmers couldn't find a comprehensive safety device that fulfilled the needs of open water swimmers. The current safety devices altered or interfered with your stroke, became tangled in the lightest of winds and were far from hydrodynamic. So, we designed our own!
Check out the the full review via the link:
Bryan McCrystal, Irish national long-distance triathlon champion and national record-holder.
Drowning is the third leading cause of unintentional injury death, according to the World Health Organisation there have been 360,000 annual drowning deaths worldwide. Children, men and individuals with increased access to water are most at risk. This puts open-water swimmers right in the firing line when it comes to water safety.
Open bodies of water demand respect and care should always be taken, to ensure you can swim safely but also have an enjoyable experience. With the Tekrapod you can do just that!!
More and more event are implementing rules requiring participants to wear personal safety devices. In many ways this greater awareness towards safety is warranted.
However, devices like tow buoys are not race legal. The Tekrapod is! Unlike the tow buoy it remains deflated in the stream-lined backpack until you need it.
We have already had great success with the Tekrapod in local races. So far our pre-launch testers have won: 1st female in the 1KM Metalman Series event. This event is one of the biggest open-water swimming events in the West of Ireland. Whilst another wearer also won 1st place in the female Masters in the Channel cup swim! Tekrapod doest slow you down!
1. Close the stream-lined clasp.
2. Adjust the straps to your perfect fit, your Tekrapod will now stick to you like a limpet!
3. Head off for some uninterrupted Vitamin Sea, safe in the knowledge you have a back-up plan.
4.Pull the easy access red toggle for activation.
5. The internal bladder inflates automatically using a replaceable 16g CO2 cartridge, (the same one you use to inflate bike tyres with), these are easily available in all good bike shops.
6. The bladder is attached to the backpack and provides up to 75N of lift.
7. Once activated you can:
- Wave the inflated bladder for attention
- Blow the attached whistle for added impact
- Take a well deserved rest
- As around a quarter of drowning victims die saving others, we have included a detachable buoy that has a buddy loop. This allows you to keep your distance but still help a friend in need!
8.The inflated bladder can be towed behind you, allowing you to continue to swim.
9. An optional extra includes a high-powered strobe light for extra visibility. Ensures you are visible to other water users or kayakers supervising your training event. You can remain race legal but still be seen!
Turns out that the Tekrapod is excellently suited to stand up paddle boarding! The backpacks positioning doesn't interfere with your paddling and the thin elasticated straps don't cause chafe, something which is a real issue for when you decide to paddle long-distances. Check out our video we took on the lake!
Tekrapod, the simple, seamless, safety device you will want to use.
With special thanks to:
Risks and challenges
We are fully aware of the risks and challenges involved in bringing a completely new open-water safety device to market. As our product is quite complex and made of three distinct parts this adds to the challenge. However, we now have our manufacturers lined up and ready to go, but in the unlikely event that we hit a ‘roadblock’, we will keep our backers fully informed, with email updates every step of the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)