Octopus Story follows a curious octopus--an adventurous creature who is enjoying learning about the world around it--who becomes bored with the ocean, and sets off on a journey through the everyday world. It encounters new people, places, and modes of transportation, and gains the companionship of one black kitten along the way. Brave, and a little stubborn, Octopus's first experience outside the ocean has given it a taste for future adventures.
The story so far can be viewed, in its entirety, at octopacy.net.
All illustrations, coloring, and lettering are done by hand using studio markers and pen. The comic uses minimal words with the focus of putting emphasis on the visual flow of the story and allowing it to remain open to all readers regardless of age, language, or literacy skill.
The goal of this Kickstarter is to get the first volume of Octopus Story compiled and published as a 40-page, full-color paperback book. The book will include Funds earned from this Kickstarter will go to printing and shipping costs. Additional funds over goal will go to the printing of more books, as well as possibly more promotional materials, extra content, etc.
Depending on your contribution level, rewards range between the following:
- A thank you in the book
- A digital copy of the book in PDF format
- A signed physical copy of the book
- A set of two signed physical copies of the book
- A character doodle on the inside cover of the book
- An 8 1/2 x 11 print (your choice from a few options)
- A black and white 8 1/2 x 11 drawing commission of your choice (subject to the artist's discretion--if you are unsure please send a message to discuss the potential commission.)
- A FULL COLOR 8 1/2 x 11 drawing commission of your choice (subject to the artist's discretion--if you are unsure please send a message to discuss the potential commission.)
- Because of the $600 stretch goal being reached, all backers at the $10 level and above will be getting Octopus Story stickers as well!
- Because of the $650 stretch goal being reached, all backers at every level will receive an exclusive backers-only wallpaper!
- As per the $800 stretch goal being reached, all backers receiving an Artist's Edition or higher level will get BOTH of the laser-cut acrylic charm designs, one of Octopus and one of Cat!
- Since we reached the $750 goal, I will also be illustrating an additional mini-story, Octopus and the Pirates. A PDF edition of this story will be made available to all backers at the $5 level and above.
- Hitting the $850 goal means that the mini-story, Octopus and the Pirates, will be printed in the actual book that goes out to all backers who purchased a physical copy.
If you have a (reasonable) reward in mind please feel free to make suggestions. If you see options from another tier that you would like to add on to an existing tier for a higher value (for example, upgrading the Octopus and Cat edition to two Artist's Editions instead of the standard) please message me and a new tier can be created for you.
Wow! I wasn't expecting to have reached my goal so quickly, but you folks really pulled through! I'm working on setting some stretch goals for higher funding levels now. Here's what I have so far.
At $600: I will get stickers printed, to go with every person at the $10 level and above. Goal hit on 02/02/2013!
At $650: I will draw a special backers-only wallpaper to go to everyone at all levels. Goal hit on 02/06/2013!
At $700: I will have laser-cut charms made of Octopus and Cat, and backers with an Artists Edition level and higher will get their choice of the two. Goal hit on 02/07/2013!
At $750: I will illustrate an additional mini-story, Octopus and the Pirates, and make the PDF version available to every person at the $5 level and above. Goal hit on 02/08/2013!
At $800: Backers at the Artist's Edition level and higher will get BOTH charms, one of Octopus and one of Cat. Goal hit on 02/12/2013!
At $850: All physical books will be upgraded to a special Kickstarter edition, containing the original story and the bonus mini-story, Octopus and the Pirates, in print form. Goal hit on 02/20/2013!
At $1000: It's a surprise!
Stay tuned for more stretch goals!
Valerie is an artist, historian, and self-proclaimed polymath. She lives in Columbus, OH with her husband and their six felines.
Risks and challenges
This project is pretty set to go, but potential setbacks might occur with the rescanning process. I have a set of digital files ready to go, but the scanner initially used wasn't the best, and was actually in the process of dying a slow death (which it has continued even up to now, as it no longer will process color scans). We are waiting on the arrival of our newly-purchased large-format scanner, which I'm hoping to use to rescan all of the pages and get a much better quality file to send to print (and make the website look better with larger images). Fingers crossed!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)