Triple Espresso Goes to The Big Apple
Triple Espresso Goes to The Big Apple
Help us take Triple Espresso--a highly caffeinated comedy to Off-Broadway this fall!
Help us take Triple Espresso--a highly caffeinated comedy to Off-Broadway this fall! Read more
Triple Espresso—a highly caffeinated comedy is an irresistibly funny stage play with elements of vaudeville—music, magic and physical comedy—and a touch of audience participation. It’s the story of 3 guys whose comedy trio broke up after a series of hilariously ill-conceived performances marched them right past the door marked “Fame & Fortune” and threw them down the ladder of success. Did we mention it’s funny? And it’s suitable for ages 6 to 106.
What’s so special about Triple Espresso?
You mean aside from the fact that it’s really, really funny?
- It’s high quality entertainment that lifts the spirits. In our cynical, stressful world, Triple Espresso is more than a diversion. It’s a balm for the heavy heart and refreshment for the mind. It gives people a chance to escape their troubles for a couple of hours, have a good laugh, and walk away feeling a little more hopeful.
- It fills a gap in the live entertainment spectrum. Many people have stopped going to comedy clubs and theatrical shows, because they find so much of the material to be distasteful or offensive. Triple Espresso fills a need for entertainment that is just good clean fun. The humor is clever, but never demeaning, and it has cross-generational appeal. We love watching kids and parents and grandparents laughing together!
- People like to see it over and over again. Triple Espresso has an amazing repeat audience. Once people discover it, they want to show it to their friends. Then they brag about how many times they’ve seen it! They just can’t seem to get enough.
- It’s a gateway to theater for people who think they don’t like theater. We’ve heard many tales of husbands (and occasionally wives!) or reluctant friends who have been dragged kicking and screaming to the show (okay, not literally), who end up loving it. They find out that theater is pretty cool. Next thing you know, they’re going to other shows, and having all kinds of new experiences…which we think is also pretty cool.
Triple Espresso began in 1995 when three Minneapolis-based performers, Bill Arnold, Michael Pearce Donley and Bob Stromberg, got together over coffee and decided to write something that would make people laugh so hard they’d snort and embarrass themselves. Six weeks later, they were onstage with their new show, and the audience was in hysterics.
Bill Partlan, then Artistic Director of Minneapolis’ Cricket Theatre, a non-profit focused on presenting new American works, saw the show and immediately booked it for the upcoming season. Its first professional performances were the hit of the year.
Teaming up with Executive Producer Dennis Babcock, Triple Espresso played for 12 years in Minneapolis (where it still returns for the holidays), and 11 years in San Diego. It’s returned multiple times to cities such as Des Moines and Dublin (yes, Ireland). The show has also played dozens of other cities from Los Angeles to Chicago to London and Berlin. See more detail.
Why a Kickstarter Campaign?
Triple Espresso has sold a lot of tickets over the years. But in the theater business, it seems to take about $999 of work and expense for every $1,000 in sales. Fans around the country and around the world ask, “when will you be in my city?” Unfortunately, the answer is, “we don’t know.” The economic downturn has hit the arts hard, and opportunities for productions are fewer. Theaters that want to partner with us have limited funds with which to bring in shows. Taking it to New York is not something we can afford to do on our own.
Is It Important To Take Triple Espresso To New York City?
We want to introduce this joyful show to Off-Broadway audiences and spread the laughter throughout the Big Apple! Additionally, a successful run in NYC will increase the show’s attractiveness and viability for theaters in other cities, which will allow Triple Espresso to continue bringing good clean fun and laughter to the world for years to come.
What’s The Plan?
We’ll open at an Off-Broadway theater this fall (2013). We have a specific theater lined up, where we plan to schedule performances over a 12-week period. We’ve met with theater management and discussed plans and scheduling, but we can’t sign the contract until we have the funds for the production.
Our marketing contacts in New York know the show and are prepared to handle marketing, advertising and publicity. The actors are fully caffeinated and ready to go. Our designers and production staff are eager to take on the challenge. All that’s missing is the rest of the money to get there.
What will you use the money for?
The production has been carefully budgeted. Here are the major items:
- Theater rental
- Director, Actors & Production Manager (salaries, travel, housing when they are in New York)
- Playwrights – some script tweaking is needed
- Set, Sound and Lighting Designers – they need to do some updates and adapt the designs to the NYC theater space
- Materials and Equipment – to fulfill those designs
- Crew – load in/out and running crew in New York
- Marketing, Advertising & Publicity
Tell Your Friends
We won’t be able to take Triple Espresso to the Big Apple without your help. Please back the project if you can (check out the cool rewards!) AND be sure to tell several hundred of your closest friends…or even total strangers at a coffee shop (they may become friends!). Word of mouth (and caffeine) is what has kept Triple Espresso playing for 18 years, and word of mouth is what will take it to New York and beyond, keeping it playing and lifting spirits for many more years to come! Thank you so much, Kickstarters, for being part of this project! You are the best!!!
Risks and challenges
Though we’re in communication with the theater, and we believe we will be able to schedule performances there this fall, it’s always possible that something unexpected will occur and the theater will not be available. If this should happen, we will simply reschedule for the next best available time option. We would also reschedule if key personnel become unavailable and cannot wisely be replaced.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)