Hello, Kickstarter! My name is Christopher Knapp. For the past year, I've been writing a blog for the Fifth Edition of my favorite fantasy tabletop RPG as TBM Games, including new character options, monsters, and spells. I've come to Kickstarter to present to you the culmination of a year's work and playtesting - Primordial Power, a mini-supplement of apocalyptic powers for both players and GMs.
Once More, the Primordials are Loose!
Eons ago, the gods waged war with a chaotic race of elementals, the primordials. Once these fearsome titans were destroyed or sealed away, but now mortal folly may be the world's undoing, as cults to the primordials rise to power.
Primordial Power is a small, 26*-page supplement for the Fifth Edition of the World's Most Popular Role-Playing game.
The supplement features the following:
- Profiles for five prominent primordials, volatile elemental beings with devastating powers
- A playable genie race, survivors of the primordials' previous rampages
- A new druid subclass devoted to fighting the primordials and staving away their influence on the mortal plane.
- A new scholarly bard subclass who studies the rise and fall of civilizations in the primordials' wake.
- New spells for all magic users to tap into the apocalyptic powers of the primordials.
- A smattering of primordial-related foes to challenge heroes of any level, such as a versatile Primordial Cultist, the territorial Emperor Cicada, and the noble Ivory Guard.
- A guide to creating your own primordials, as well as a table of extra primordials to get your imagination going.
*As of reaching our first stretch goal on 7/7/2018, this page count has become more nebulous pending formatting changes. The Version 1 PDF which will be available to backers upon funding will count in at 26 pages including its cover.
Over the last year, TBM Games has been working to deliver quality gaming content for Primordial Power, and a lot of content from the book can be seen on the website already to give you a feel for the writing style that this book will contain. That isn't to say that all of it is on there! Primordial Power is the product of iterating upon both these articles and other content never before seen.
Keep your eyes peeled for updates in this space as the campaign continues! What follows is a preview of what the pages of Primordial Power will generally look like.
Why such a small book? Why not a full-size campaign setting?
Even by third-party 5E publishers' standards, TBM Games is a smaller operation, and this will be its first attempt at publishing any material. Being untested in the realm of RPG publishing, we wanted to focus on creating a digestible product which could allow you, as backers, to receive a finished product quickly to see what we're made of.
Crowdfunding is an incredibly potent platform - backers' faith in a project's ability to be completed is the driving force behind its delivery. TBM Games has come to Kickstarter to demonstrate its ability to deliver quality content, both on this project and future ones, and to share our content with a wider audience.
Our overall funding goal for Primordial Power is tailored to be its bare minimum - a lot of the work for the project has already been funded out of pocket, and we're just looking for that last push to finish and ship the project! Following is the relative breakdown of how we'll handle the funds received from this Kickstarter.
- As a note, the miscellaneous expenses are for our "rainy day" scenarios - unexpected fees or quality issues during printing or shipping or technical issues with digital deliveries, and will otherwise go to cover fees incurred during the crowdfunding process.
Going above and beyond the funding goal will naturally allow us to make an even bigger and better supplement. If we meet any of these stretch goals, they may delay the final product. If this happens, all backers at the print and PDF levels will receive a download of the current version of the supplement, and we'll go back to the drawing board to deliver the additional content you've unlocked in an updated PDF and physical print.
- $750 - Funding Complete! (Goal met 7/3/2018)
- $900 - Extra Monsters - At the $900 level, we'll be able to expand Primordial Power to include two new monsters! (Goal met 7/7/2018)
- $1000 - Extra Illustrations - At the $1000 level, we'll be able to squeeze enough extra money into the art and layout budgets to add some other small illustrations into the book, just to give it that extra oomph. (Goal met 7/12/2018)
- $1200 - Extra Subclass - At the $1200 level, we'll be able to commit just enough extra money into our budgets to add a third subclass to the book. (Goal met 7/23/2018)
- $1500 - Extra Primordial - At $1500, you've all shown that you want to see more! If we reach this point, we'll add a whole new primordial's profile to the book, 2 new spells themed around that primordial, and at least one new monster.
About TBM Games
TBM Games is a blog about role-playing games and a newly-minted company situated in Lincoln, Nebraska. The team currently consists of cousins Christopher Knapp and Abigail Boellstorff, a pair of RPG enthusiasts.
Christopher Knapp originally was a student of video game design and computer science whose passions gradually shifted towards pen and paper games. He currently studies business administration and entrepreneurship.
Abigail Boellstorff's earliest experiences with tabletop RPGs was with her father's AD&D collection, drawing monsters that caught her eye. She currently studies art, with her media of choice being marker and paper or or acrylics.
Risks and challenges
Since this is TBM Games' first foray into publishing a game supplement, there are naturally risks that we'll face that an established company would not. We're playing a lot of things by ear, but we've also put in a lot of effort to effectively deliver Primordial Power.
As of launching this campaign, the majority of the project has been completed - All of our art is finished, the book's layout has been drafted, and we're just getting our ducks in a row to be able to sell Primordial Power in print and PDF. What this means is that we're still doing some minor layout work which we aim to complete before the end of this campaign, such as making sure that the product is ready for printing as soon as humanly possible.
Because the core product is practically finished, the largest delay we anticipate is meeting stretch goals, which will require us to make some adjustments to the final format for the printed version of the supplement. If we do meet any stretch goals, we'll distribute PDFs of the current version before moving on to make an upgraded version, though, so you'll have access to content immediately after this campaign ends.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)