20 years ago, Sonic the Hedgehog made his triumphant debut on the SEGA Dreamcast with the incredible SONIC ADVENTURE video game. Its release marked the first in a series that redefined the Sonic universe, and established an era that remains one of the most loved and revered in the character’s history.
The SONIC ADVENTURE series sees Sonic the Hedgehog face off against his nemesis Dr Eggman in a race to collect all seven Chaos emeralds, to save the world from certain destruction! Along the way, Sonic is helped by his friends Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, and Amy Rose, and others as well as hindered by Dr Eggman’s allies, each with their own quests, abilities, and unique gameplay modes that range from treasure hunting to racing, and even fishing!
With significant advances in technology on the Dreamcast, the Sonic Adventure sound team, led by Sound Director and Composer Jun Senoue, were given unprecedented freedom to create and record the video game soundtrack. From the sunny shores of Emerald Coast to the dizzying heights of the metropolitan Speed highway, each stage was embellished with an inimitable theme, crossing a multitude of musical genres.
To this day the soundtrack to the Sonic Adventure series remains a fan favourite and has seen numerous re-releases in physical and digital format, as well as a recent publication on vinyl.
What is the SONIC ADVENTURE MUSIC EXPERIENCE?
The SONIC ADVENTURE MUSIC EXPERIENCE is an a live performance of music from the Sonic Adventure series and beyond, officially approved by SEGA of America. This UK show is a chance for fans to relive some of their favourite Sonic the Hedgehog moments in a concert setting!
As 2019 marks the 20th anniversary year of the release of Sonic Adventure in Europe and North America, the Sonic Adventure Music Experience will be making its way to the United Kingdom to mark the occassion, and we invite you to join us to celebrate and rock out to some of the all-time greatest Sonic the Hedgehog songs!
The Sonic Adventure Music Experience band is an all-Japanese outfit led by SEGA and Sonic Sound Director Jun Senoue performing on electric guitar, joined by Sonic Adventure series bassist Takeshi Taneda (long-time bassist for Crush 40) and percussionist Act. (drummer for Crush 40, performing on songs such as "Green Light Ride"). The band first performed as the Sonic Adventure Music Experience in Tokyo in April 2016 to celebrate Sonic's 25th Anniversary and have since played multiple shows in Japan, as well as a show at the video games festival MAGFest in the United States.
The band have also composed and performed new material for the highly successful Team Sonic Racing video game, which made it's debut at the top of the all-format sales chart in the UK.
The band will be flying all the way from Tokyo to perform on one very special night here in London!
A message from JUN SENOUE
I have attended the Summer of Sonic convention five times since 2010 and I have had a wonderful time every visit. I have enjoyed playing Sonic-related music at the event, but I have always wanted to bring the full band with me, to create the full-band performance like we have for our shows in Japan.
Finally in 2018, MAGFest brought all of us to the United States to perform Sonic Adventure Music Experience show and it went really well. We want to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the western release of the Sega Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure along with the huge success of the latest Sonic related game, Team Sonic Racing, with you all in London!
We are Svend Joscelyne, founder of The Sonic Stadium fan website, and Adam Tuff, Editor-In-Chief of The Sonic Stadium; you may know us as the organisers of the world’s largest Sonic the Hedgehog fan convention, the Summer of Sonic!
You might have guessed that we are both big Sonic the Hedgehog fans, and we love bringing fans together to celebrate the greatest video game character of all time!
The Summer of Sonic has been supported by SEGA and recognised as an official event, often seen as the European counterpart of SEGA-produced shows that have been held in North America and Japan. To date there have been seven Summer of Sonic conventions, with each event growing in size and strength as they gained worldwide popularity. The most recent show in 2016 for Sonic the Hedgehog’s 25th anniversary attracted a record crowd in excess of one thousand attendees along with special guests including Sonic Team producer and leader Takashi Iizuka and original Sonic the Hedgehog programmer Yuji Naka. The Summer of Sonic has truly become a landmark event, recognised by the Guinness World Records as the First Official Fan Event for A Game Character.
We both love Sonic Adventure and its soundtrack, and with the 20th anniversary of its release in the west just around the corner, we thought now was the perfect time to bring this incredible Sonic Adventure Music Experience to British shores!
The Sonic Adventure series defined the sound of the modern Sonic the Hedgehog era, firmly cementing the rock theme as a staple for the games that followed. It is an honour to play host to the Sonic Adventure Music Experience, and a privilege to be given the opportunity to hear them perform live in the anniversary year of Sonic Adventure's release.
We hope that you will be able to join us for one very special evening in London to share in our adoration of incredible video game music that has inspired a generation of young musicians and video game fans alike!
The SONIC ADVENTURE MUSIC EXPERIENCE UK will take place at The Garage in Highbury, London, on the 8th of December, 2019. The Garage is one of the most iconic live music venues in North London, which has seen the likes of Green Day, Muse, The Killers, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Oasis and many more legendary acts take to its stage. The hall offers an ideal space to hold the Sonic Adventure Music Experience UK performance, with room for more than 500 eager Sonic Adventure fans to rock out!
Not only is the venue based in a very accessible location in London and within a minute’s walk of Highbury & Islington station which is connected by underground and over ground lines, it is close to a large number of hotels in nearby Islington and Kings Cross for those who wish to seek accommodation close by.
As with the Summer of Sonic, we have selected the UK’s capital city to hold the Sonic Adventure Music Experience UK. London has fantastic connections to all parts of the United Kingdom by road, rail and air, and is served by several international airports to connect fans travelling to the event from abroad. For those looking to plan a vacation around the event, London has no shortage of world-renowned tourist attractions to make your visit even more special.
Why Kickstarter for the SONIC ADVENTURE MUSIC EXPERIENCE UK?
The organisation of the Sonic Adventure Music Experience UK differs significantly from our past conventions with regards to performers, equipment and venue – and as this is a one-off show rather than a tour, it soon becomes an expensive business to host a show of this nature. Regardless, we want to deliver a phenomenal experience to all those who attend – and to accomplish this we need funding for:
- Venue Hire: We need to book the venue for the performance, setup and rehearsal, as well as break down time post-show
- Performance and licence fees: This includes artist fees and IP from SEGA
- Equipment costs: We’ll need to hire items such as a projector, a full sound system and back line, as well as larger instruments and equipment that are impractical to transport from Japan
- Transport and logistics: Some of the artist’s instruments will need to be transported from Japan, while locally hired equipment will require transportation across London to the venue
- Technicians and security: We will require a sound engineer, venue staff, as well as necessary personnel to keep the event safe
- Guest expenses: Our special guests are travelling all the way from Japan, and as such we need to cover the costs of their travel, accommodation while in the United Kingdom, local travel, and subsistence costs
How do I attend the SONIC ADVENTURE MUSIC EXPERIENCE UK?
By backing the Sonic Adventure Music Experience UK here on Kickstarter! The event will be invitation only, exclusively to those of you generous enough to pledge and help realise this project.
We are keeping it simple this time round by keeping our backing tiers very simple, with our rewards tiers offering 1, 2, 3, or 4 invitation packages.
We do have an age restriction on the event of 16+, although those who are 14+ can attend by being accompanied by an adult.
Video filmed by Rachel E Scott at MAGFest 2018
Risks and challenges
While we hope we have consdered most potential issues with hosting the Sonic Adventure Music Experience on the 8th of December 2019, there are always risks; we have however strived to mitigate and minimise these as much as possible:
1) We have been planning a Sonic Adventure Music Experience show in the United Kingdom for several months and have engaged with SEGA and the performers on a regular basis to discuss every facet of organisation. We have the venue holding he date for the event, and now all we require now is funding!
2) The event is set to take place on the 8th of December 2019; however, as with the organisation of any event, this may be subject to change if any circumstances arise that would mean it would be impossible to keep to the date and the venue. Rest assured we would work to find an alternative venue or date, but there is always a risk this might be unfeasible. In these unlikely circumstances we cannot offer refunds for travel or hotel costs – and for this reason we highly recommend refundable or transferable bookings
3) We both have more than a decade of experience organising the Summer of Sonic convention, of which we have dealt with all essential aspects from technical to financial, along with the successful funding and execution of a Summer of Sonic event through Kickstarter. Costing and planning have been given significant consideration, and we hope backers will have confidence in the smooth execution of the event based on our track recordLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)