Frequently Asked Questions
The Emotiv Insight is not just a brain computer interface, we've spent a lot time building new detections and software that provides feedback to allow users to optimize their cognitive performance. We are moving into the wearable devices space with this product but instead of tracking the number of steps you've taken, it tracks your cognitive performance.
At launch, consumers can download a free mobile app (Android/iOS) that measures, tracks and helps them improve their Attention, Focus, Engagement, Interest, Excitement, Affinity, Relaxation and reduce Stress levels.
You will get a much better idea of your productivity profile. When you're paying attention, the time of day and how long you can sustain your attention, your interest levels, your bursts of focus. How well you can relax, your stress levels. How attracted you are to new or old experiences. How well you relate to others and how you react to new situations. Emotiv Insight offers you the tools you need to monitor your performance across a range of different situations and to optimize the way you go about your work and play. Discover if classical music sharpens your performance, distracts you from your work or sends you to sleep. Learn how to approach business meetings to enhance your productivity. Set the thermostat so your creative juices can flow freely. Pick the best time of day for exercising, working, meditating or chilling out.
Research has shown that when you are made aware of all of these indicators, people are better informed and empowered to make decisions to optimize and improve their cognitive fitness and performance. Recent studies of brain plasticity and epigenetics provide strong evidence that you can rewire your brain and even overcome genetic predispositions by the activities you undertake and the way you respond to new experiences. Neurofeedback – a fancy name for modifying your behaviour to achieve desirable goals in your ability to perform well and respond more positively to your environment – is becoming well established as a way to improve your learning, improve concentration and develop your potential more effectively. Emotiv Insight will provide reports, graphs, hints and suggestions allowing you to decide which factors most influence your performance in your chosen activities.
We'll also work with Developers and Researchers to help them release additional applications that support the headset.Last updated:
Emotiv Insight is designed to collect data during most activities. It is likely there will be motion artefacts in the data, however we have developed several methods to remove the artefacts and continue to observe brain data during most perturbations. Worst case we can slice out short sections of data if they are just too noisy - usually this results in less than a tenth of a second of missing data per event.Last updated:
The rear headband of Emotiv Insight is designed to fit snugly under the rear bulge of your head (note there are three sizes of headband: small, medium, large, to permit the best possible fit for all users). The headset itself sits above the left ear, and the sensors wrap around without passing directly around the rear of the head. It should be possible to lay back and continue to acquire data. The system may become dislodged if you lie directly on the headset or if you toss and turn.Last updated:
The Emotiv Insight has Bluetooth 4 support which means the product will be readily supported by any platform which includes BT4.0LE, without the need for external hardware. Non-BT4.0LE devices with USB support will be able to use a simple off-the-shelf receiver.Last updated:
How long does the battery last? How do I recharge my device? Is there any way to extend battery life for the device?
The Emotiv Insight will last a minimum of four hours on a full battery charge. Recharging will take anywhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours depending on your charge source (some PCs have a limit on the current that can be drawn from a USB port).
Emotiv Insight will be supplied with a USB charge cable so you can recharge directly from your laptop or from any USB charger. Note that the headset will not be able to operate while plugged into this kind of power source. We can’t predict whether your power source is electrically safe (there may be a power supply fault in your device which allows the electrical mains to connect directly to your head) so we can’t allow normal operation during direct charging.
You can extend the battery life for the device with the Emotiv Insight Extender.Last updated:
The Insight Extender Pack is a comprehensive accessory which adds several functions to the Emotiv Insight. While maintaining a small package size the system packs a higher capacity battery (1900mAh), a 2500V isolated power supply and 2500V isolated USB connection, a local microprocessor, and Contact Quality display system.
The Insight Extender has to deal with a lot of different use cases.
1. Offline charging mode: Insight Extender is simply plugged into a USB power source and its internal battery is charged. In this mode the local microprocessor has to negotiate with the USB host to provide as much current as possible, then limit its charging current to the agreed amount so as not to damage the host. This requires significant battery management options including programmable charge current limiting.
2. Offline Dual charge mode: Insight Extender is plugged into a USB power source and also into a dormant Emotiv Insight. Extender negotiates with the USB host for maximum current and also manages the charging process for both Insight and the Extender batteries.
3. Online pass-through mode: Insight Extender is plugged into a PC USB port and also into the working Emotiv Insight. In this mode, the Bluetooth connection is disabled and data is sent to the PC directly over the USB link. Direct connection between a device with electrical skin contact and a (possibly) mains powered external device can only be safely accomplished if there is at least 2500V isolation between all pins on the mains powered device and the head-mounted unit. This includes the 5V USB power supply and all of the data pins. The Insight Extender uses a switched-mode power supply through a 2500V-isolating transformer to regenerate a safe 5V power source for the Insight headset, and also a 2500V isolating transformer on each USB pin. In addition to this function, the Insight Extender needs to negotiate the maximum available current from the host in order to charge both the Extender and Insight batteries while in use.
4. Online powered mode: The Insight Extender is plugged into a power pack and the headset is able to operate continuously using the normal Bluetooth 4.0 LE connection to your mobile device or PC. In this mode the system can safely be worn while in use.
5. Mobile mode: Insight Extender is not plugged into any external power source, but the Extender battery powers the Emotiv Insight headset. This mode simply extends the usable life between recharges, Insight operates normally through the Bluetooth 4.0 LE connection to your mobile device or PC.Last updated:
We are frequently asked why we can’t simply run the Insight while charging directly from the USB port. The reason is that there is no way to know if the power source is intrinsically safe. Emotiv Insight basically consists of seven electrical contacts directly attached to the user’s head, powered from the internal battery inside the main pod. If we want to be able to run the headset safely while connected to mains powered equipment, we would have to build in a high degree of isolation into the Insight input circuits. This is not practical for two reasons. The first is that the added components add a significant expense and complexity to the headset. We decided it was not fair to force everyone to pay for a facility that only some users need – the increased price would also be a disincentive to new purchasers. The second reason is the weight and size of the isolation components and the necessary board and component clearances to avoid spark-overs. The size and weight of the Insight would have been greater, making it a lot less sleek and top heavy (most of the extra components are transformers which are not exactly tiny!
Because of these considerations we decided the best course of action was to disable Insight operation while connected to an unknown charge source, and move the expense and weight of the isolation systems to an external device which could clip on the pocket. It was a no-brainer (sorry, pun intended) to add the battery and other capabilities to the Insight Extender pack.Last updated:
The Emotiv Insight has not been designed to be watertight, but it will definitely resist low levels of water ingress under normal circumstances. Due to the nature of EEG recording it is not possible to record EEG signals when the head is wet. The moisture forms an electrical bridge between the sensors and only an average electrical signal is obtained.Last updated:
Yes, you’ll be able to upgrade your Emotiv Insight to add either a Developer or Research Edition SDK when you’re ready to build your own applications and conduct your research.
You can also upgrade from a Developer to a Research Edition SDK at a later date.Last updated:
Yes! The Research Edition SDK gives access to the raw EEG data.Last updated:
The data measured by the Emotiv Insight is oversampled at 2048Hz/channel and this is filtered heavily to remove all traces of environmental electromagnetic interference and then down sampled to 128Hz. The specified frequency response range of the Emotiv Insight requires a minimum sampling frequency of around 90Hz, we achieve very high signal fidelity with a data rate of 128Hz while maintaining adequate battery life.Last updated:
Is the international shipping cost a maximum (it will be cheaper to send to some countries than others) or a set cost?
We are keeping it simple for Kickstarter backers. There will be no additional cost to ship to backers in the US. For non-US backers, please add a flat fee of $30 to ship anywhere in the world.Last updated:
Thank you for your early support! Early Bird Backers can choose the Emotiv Insight in the colour of their choice.
We will be sending out a survey, prior to shipping, asking you to confirm your colour choice of either Stealth Black or Classic White.Last updated:
Thank you for your early support! As an Early Bird Backer, you can simply manage your pledge and add $100 for the Emotiv Insight Extender. Please do not change your reward selection.
We will be sending out an email to confirm your order prior to shipping.Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question