Was to design a bicycle flat tire kit that fits compactly and out of the way so you are always ready when the inevitable flat occurs.
The Behold is a story of old become new again. A long time ago in an ancient land of Durango Colorado a great artesian named Ron Andrews of the famed King Cage helped a young squire named Allen Young bring his vision to light.
Ok fast-forward to reality the Behold is a cage that fits under your current water bottle cage or it can be used alone. It carry's all the essentials you need to repair your bicycling tube. Ron bent the cages and Allen sewed the bags it was a labor of love emphasis on labor.
But back to our story the Master wire bender and young squire transformed the Behold into the Kargo Cage due to the need for efficiency and the fact that the young squire could sew no longer for he was plagued by a demon that took residence between disk C5 and C6 of the poor souls spine. (No worries he had surgery and is in full recovery, Yay)
Across the land the villagers were bewildered and lost without the beloved Behold. With pitchforks and torches they came to the squire enraged…just kidding we received many emails from lovely bike enthusiasts requesting a Behold so we decided to bring it back to life.
We can rebuild, the technology is there, we can make the Behold better than he was. Better, stronger, faster...wait, sorry that is another story but rebuild him we did.
The cages and bags are still made in America just with new technology instead of our simple hands and we need your help to purchase a stamping tool. This tool will cut costs and keep the Behold on the market as well as offer more design options in the future. We love the Behold and so will you.
In all seriousness the Behold is just like the flat tire kit in your car but it’s for your bike. Pack the Kargo bag with your tools, CO2 and a tube (up to 29-inch). Snap the bag in place and you’re set. You’ll be ready when you get a flat. Unlike a clanking bloated seat bag it’s completely out of your way on the frame. Attach any water bottle cage if you like.
Behold gives you 24/7 access to the emergency essentials you know you should always carry.
The learn a bit more about us and see the other bike accessories we make please visit. TALLACHOUSE
And now the nuts and bolts or what we like to call the stainless steel and ballistic nylon.
Mounts under your current bottle cage.
A better way to carry your emergency essentials
Behold is the world’s first flat repair kit cage. It lets you carry a simple flat repair kit (tools, CO2 cartridge and spare 700cc or 29er tube) on your bike’s frame. Unlike a seat bag it’s completely out of your way. The Behold mounts on your bicycle frame.
Behold attaches to your bike’s water bottle cage mounts (braze-ons). The down tube is the preferred location but some riders like to mount it on their seat tube.
Need to carry a water bottle? Just attach any water bottle cage (not included).
Bags come in two sizes
The Kargo Road Bike Tube Bag fits a 700cc road bike tube and tools. The Kargo Mountain Bike Tube Bag holds a 29-inch (29er) tube and tools.
HEY WHAT CAN I FIT INTO A KARGO BAG?
Here’s what fits (snuggly) in a Kargo bag: The Behold does not include the shown tools unless you select the Road or Mountain Queen Reward.
Both bags fit iphone 4 and iphone 5. It does not fit a iphone 6 or iphone 6 plus.
Small mini tool tire levers, 16g CO2 cartridge with inflator head, a spare tube: 700cc tube fits in the 7.5″ Kargo Road Bike Tube Bag, a 29-inch (29er) tube fits in the 9.5″ Kargo Mountain Bike Tube Bag, a Patch Kit, cash or credit card, car or house key.
The Queen Reward includes the following tools: curated by us from Lezyne.
- Twin Speed Drive CO2 (does not include the CO2) CNC machined aluminum dispenser with brass internals. Slip-On Valve Operation allows for quick inflation. Twin Slip-Fit head presses onto Presta and Schrader valves. Two piece head allows for easy O-ring replacement. Neoprene sleeve insulates hand from cold during discharge. WEIGHT: 14g
- V 7: DIMENSIONS: 32W × 63L × 19H (mm) TOOL BITS: Hex 2.5, 4, 5, 6mm Star Shaped T25, T30 Flat Head WEIGHT: 65g
- Smart Kit : Scuffer, 6 Glueless Patches, 1 Tire Boot WEIGHT: 20g
- Matrix Levers: Strong, fiber reinforced levers with a dual hook design. Strong, fiber reinforced Composite Matrix material. Aggressive hook geometry makes tire removal easy. Compact, convenient, dual hook design. WEIGHT: 30g
- Mounts to your frame—out of your way will not interfere with muscular legs. Doesn’t rub on your riding shorts and wear them out prematurely.
- No more rattles over rough terrain.
- Attaches using two screws, not velcro straps. There’s nothing to come loose and rip your riding shorts.
- No ugly wear to the finish of your seat post or frame.
- Kargo bags don’t spill their guts Kargo bags don’t come open on the trail and dump your contents out.
- Carries only what you need to fix a flat No extra bulk, wind drag or weight. Bags are sized to hold items snuggly. This helps eliminate rattles.
- They work in all of our carrying systems.
- Buying an extra cage lets you use one bag with two bikes.
- An extra bag can also be useful.
- For example, use the larger Kargo Mountain bag for long rides and the smaller Kargo Road bag for short hops around town.
- Behold works with any water bottle cage
- Note: Screws that come with Behold are the right length for King Cage Lezyne water bottle cages. Your water bottle cage may require different length screws.
- Low profile button snaps.
- Large zipper pull for gloved hands. Keep your gloves on.
Kargo bags are easily detached to prevent theft. The bags fit easily into your jersey pocket. No logos on our products Less environmental waste. With one less ad your bike will look even better. Adds extra space on your bike by taking advantage of the previously unused space under your water bottle cage. Always knowing where your tools are eliminates potential time wasted digging through your panniers.
Our products are made in the USA. Kargo bags come from Orange County, CA and the Behold cage comes from Chicago. We are happy to meet the needs of a small group of discerning cyclists that demand quality. Enjoy the freedom of riding without a seat bag plus it looks better. As one rider said, “it just looks cool.”
FIT & INSTALLATION
Will Behold fit my bike?
If your bike’s frame is small, or if you own a mountain bike with a triangle of tubes at extreme angles, we recommend you print out the Behold Fit Guide. It’s a 1:1 scale version of the Behold you can use to be sure your frame has enough space.
Using Behold with a second water bottle cage
Installing Behold raises your water bottle up slightly from the down tube of your frame. This decreases the clearance space between the two cages. Use the Behold Fit Guide (below) to confirm your frame still has enough space.
Using the Behold Fit Guide to check clearance space
Download and print out the Fit Guide. Follow the instructions to be sure your frame has enough space.
Down tube installation (recommended): Face your frame with the front tire of your bike to your right (as shown in the photo above). Seat tube installation: Face your frame with the front tire on your left.
Email email@example.com if you have any fit questions. We are glad to help.
To install Behold, follow the step-by-step installation instructions that come with the Behold cage.
Download: Behold Installation Guide (PDF - 233 KB)
Attaching a water bottle cage to your Behold
Please note: screws that come with the Behold are the correct length (8mm) for King Cage water bottle cages. You may need to purchase different length screws for your particular water bottle cage, most likely 6mm or 10mm long, but it’s impossible for us to say. Try to use the supplied screws first.
Probably the best place to purchase screws is at your local Ace Hardware store. Online, you can order screws (in multiple quantities) at McMaster-Carr. We recommend 18-8 stainless steel button head cap screws (M5—Pitch: 0.8 mm).
Weights Typical :
- Behold with 7.5-inch Kargo Road Bike Tube Bag 5.0 ounces
- Behold with 9.5-inch Kargo Mountain Bike Tube Bag 5.2 ounces
- Behold Flat Repair Kit Cage (cage only) 3.8 ounces
- 7.5-inch Kargo Road Bike Tube Bag (bag only) 1.2 ounces
- 9.5-inch Kargo Mountain Bike Tube Bag (bag only) 1.4 ounces
- Product weights provided are typical. Bags can vary by a few grams.
- 7.5-inch Kargo Road Bag 19.5 cubic inches (322 cubic centimeters)
- 9.5-inch Kargo Mountain Bag 25 cubic inches (408 cubic centimeters)
- External dimensions
- 7.5-inch Kargo Road Bag 7.5″ x 3.5″ x 1.0″ (190mm x 88mm x 25.4mm)*
- 9.5-inch Kargo Road Bag 9.5″ x 3.5″ x 1.0″ (244mm x 88mm x 25.4mm)*
- Behold Flat Repair Kit Cage 5.16″ x 3.03″ x 1.61″ (131mm x 77mm x 41mm)*
- *Kargo bag filled to capacity.
Behold Flat Repair Kit Cage
- USA Made, Strong, durable 304 stainless steel rod
- 304 stainless steel mounting plates.
- Powered coated Black.
- Construction Mig welded stainless steel and sheet.
Handmade in Chicago
- USA made, ballistic nylon fabric with water resistant coating. It’s strong, puncture resistant, abrasion resistant and long lasting. The fabric is thick and gives the bag structure. It also makes bags look nicer and slide into the Behold cage easier.
- Nylon thread is used for added strength and durability.
Hardware on bag:
- An over-sized zipper helps you compress your gear inside the Kargo bag so it fits into the Behold cage snuggly.
- Large silent zipper pull (easy to use with gloves).
- Stainless button snaps
- Back stitching (lock stitching) at all seems is used to prevent unraveling or loosening.
- Lock stitched to prevent chaining of broken threads.
- Double stitching on zipper tape adds strength and durability.
Handmade in Orange County California
The other main thing is that I got the repair kit off the back of the seat. I went with the Tallac Design Behold cage. Originally designed to go under a waterbottle cage on the down tube, I have an extra set of bottle cage bolts on the underside of the down tube, so there it is.
COMMUTE BY BIKE:
Once the Behold with the Cage was installed, it felt like it had always been there.
It allows you to carry your tube and tools on the frame instead of in a seat bag. And it does this without forcing you to choose between the pouch or a water bottle cage. After the Behold Pouch is attached to one of the frame’s water bottle mounts, a water bottle cage fits on top of the cage for the Behold Pouch.
Talking with Allen, the one thing that stood out was how genuinely excited and proud he was of his products. He sews every bag personally and all of his material is sourced 100% from the good old U. S. of A. That is pretty rare for a small parts producer in the bicycle industry these days. I dig it.
ROAD BIKE REVIEW
Allen may not have known it, but he was preaching to the choir. Seat bags have a tendency to shake the heaviest items to the bottom, where they can make a knocking or banging noise against the seatpost (or the hard plastic skeleton of certain bags). Also, the contents can make a racket against each other if they’re not secured or padded.
Going this route can either replace or complement a saddle bag. One nice thing is that the pouch can quickly be removed from its cage and tossed into your pocket for time away from the bike.
We like many things about the Behold. It’s well constructed and could be handy if you want a nifty place to store a few essential tools. Because the bag is stored on your frame, it can stay there and you never need to worry about leaving the tools behind.
BIKE SNOB NYC: Gets hungry for the Behold
Just like this is the Quesarito of tool carriers: What does everyone have against saddlebags all of a sudden? And what's with the "clanking?" It's a saddlebag, not a silverware drawer. If you stuff a couple tubes in there it's as quiet as can be.
Now I'm oddly hungry for a Quesarito.
While very few cyclists can boast having their own SAG vehicle to follow them on a ride, the rest of us have to contend with finding somewhere to stash our cycling essentials.
Alas, putting them all in our jersey pockets, leads to the dreaded pocket sag, while a saddle pack doesn’t look very stylish, and gets lots of wheel spray. And, riding without said essential is risk not worth taking.
However, there maybe a solution that satisfies both fashion and function for even the most vein of “roadies” – called the Behold flat tire kit.
The Behold easily mounts to any bottle cage mount, and can carry all of the essentials needed to fix a flat tire and then some – in stylish and compact way.
They do not endorse our products we love using them.
MOOTS is a trademark of Moots Inc. Images used by permission. They do not endorse our products we love their bikes.
iPhone is a trademark of Apple inc.
Music Under License: Just A Little Hope, AGsoundtrax.
Behold protected by USA patent number: 6,543,660
Risks and challenges
We have completed a successful Kickstarter Project : VIER.
The Holiday Behold's are in stock and ready to ship.
The new productition will have a bracket made by a high quality stamping house which an industry friend has recommened and used for over 20 years.
The wire cage part has already being made and manufacturing is perfected. The bag has been made before and the manufacturing is perfected.
During our fifteen years of running Tallac Design we have learned a lot about working with factories and bringing new products to market. We have manufactured parts and have done exhaustive testing for performance and durability. We also have established a working relationship with proven manufacturers that gives us full confidence in the quality of the final product.
We have a thorough understanding of tooling, production and supply chain. We watch the process like a hawk and have the experience to understand how to keep it working towards a quality product. The final product you get is one that we will be proud to give you.
The final production samples will go through inspection before they ship. Also, the Tallac House team will be personally shipping each Behold to every backer.
You can be sure that your Behold will be of the highest quality. We will reply to all emails from backers and keep you posted about each step of the process from tooling, first article and final shipping.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)