Here marks the final update to the “Starting Over” Kickstarter project! The books were made, the sketches were drawn, all the rewards are on their way, everything! So let’s do a quick recap:
Most backers will have received everything now. You should only be waiting in these cases:
- Your reward included books, and you live in Canada (in which case your items will be arriving in 1–2 weeks)
- Your reward included a figurine, and you live outside the United States (in which case it should be arriving in 1–3 weeks)
- You live in an odd country (in which case we’ve already emailed you about it, but your stuff will be there in 1–3 weeks anyway!)
That’s basically it. If you are still waiting on any of your rewards in other circumstances, or if anything arrived with problems, please send us a Kickstarter message so we can look into your order and make things right!
We thank you for your patience!
How it all went
Well! Running this project has been a time-consuming job, that’s for sure. We knew what we were getting into, for the most part, but we’re glad it’s over.
For those who are curious (and may wish to run their own projects in the future!) there were a fair few cost overruns...
- We thought our total shipping bill was going to be $3,000 but it ended up at about $5,500. :(!
- The printer for Volume 2 ended up printing 9% more books than required, adding about $1000 to the bill. (Normally when you print books you accept 10% over\under, but it was a shame for them to bump right up against that ceiling!)
- The Ask Roseville High book was originally quoted at $2,500 but ended up blowing up to $4,500. (Oh, and the printer was so dreadfully bad at their job that they delivered it 4 months late, delaying final reward delivery for almost everyone.)
So yeah! Most things cost a bit more than expected. But it’s alright. When it comes down to it, not counting tax and, uh, the price of our time, the project costs totalled about $27,000, leaving about $10,000 for us as profit.
Considering book sales are our main source of income, and that we spent many months of the year working full-time to complete these books, it’s kind of a disappointing number on its own, but! This was really just a means of covering the big upfront cost to have the books made, and we’ve been doing very well selling them directly in the BCB Store. And we just can’t wait to do our convention tour where we’ll have so much neat stuff to sell — including candy — that was only possible as a result of your generous Kickstarter contributions!
We are very thankful for the massive amount of support we got and the patience you’ve offered. We hope you like what we made for you!
So, would we do it all again?
Well! We’ve actually been planning another little Kickstarter project. You might be able to guesS which ONe of our webcomICs it might be for. We will let you guys know when it’s running (very soon, we hope!), but to ensure you get any future interesting announcements from us please consider joining our few-times-a-year BCB mailing list!
Once again, thank you for all the support. We love making this comic for you and it’s your patronage that makes it possible!
— Veronica and Oliver