Barbarians: The Invasion is a worker placement and area control eurogame from acclaimed author Pierluca Zizzi. Enter the mysterious World of Fenian, a place where barbarian clans rule wild lands and corrupt civilizations live in decaying cities. Each player will become the Warlord of a clan and lead them on the conquest of civilized lands, but only one will leave his mark on history. You will need a strong economy and an even stronger army, do you have what it takes?
- Everything Board Games (EN)
- A Throne of Games (EN)
- Sofa Helden (DE)
- Darkstone (ES)
- Gluk's Games (FR)
- Just Nerd (IT)
Interviews and other mentions:
- Geek Spiel interview with Tabula Team
- Dice Tower Crowd Surfing
- Barbarians review + game dev interview
- Tantrum House May 2017 games on Kickstarter
The introduction of the volcano in Barbarians creates an interesting twist on the worker placement mechanic. Starting from the center and moving outwards, a player can only place workers in adjacent slots. Since the wheel can turn under certain circumstances, you must strategize in advance to prepare for possible twists or adjust your strategy on the fly. After a lot of playtests, we are really satisfied with how this innovative mechanism runs in game play.
Use your clan banners to mark the territories you've conquered. The goal of each clan is to score Domination Points and one of the best ways to do this is by invading civilized territories and gaining control of them.
For a more in depth look, you can watch the video Runthrough by Rahdo, our tutorial video or read the rules:
Download the models here!
Here you can find mobile wallpapers!
- Sons of the Mountain - A fiery clan living in the northern regions, hardened by extremely harsh weather they focus solely on their survival and supremacy, sparing nobody in their path.
- Kin of the Forest - A clan living in the woods, deeply connected with nature and with an enduring shamanic tradition, they are able to compensate for what they lack in physical prowess with magic, wit and all the natural advantages the forest offers.
- Disciples of the Storm - A proud clan that follow and enforce the values and traditions they've preserved. They have a strict honor code and harshly punish whoever violates it and stains the name of the clan.
- Cabal of the Dusk - A merciless clan known for it’s disregard for any kind of honor. For them only victory matters, and they will do whatever it takes to achieve it. They prefer to ambush their enemy at dusk, when darkness gives them an edge.
The Warchief cards are a core part of the game and allow you to summon the spirit of a warchief from the past to gain powers and benefits. Illustrated by Ivan Cavini, you can see all the Artworks here.
Every two turns you’ll encounter a Demon who will demand something from your clan, you can bend your will to him to gain powers or refuse and pay the consequences.
Pray to the right deities of Fenian and you will obtain their favor and the powers they can gift you.
Engage in fierce battles against civilized nations and conquer everything they own.
Grow your economy, build your army and prevail.
The Volcano is where all the worker placement will happen, choose your path and strategize in advance for possible twists of events!
Managing your clan's resources and army is going to be awesome with our realistic resource miniatures.
Here are all the miniatures available in the game. Each clan will have its own!
Take a closer look at the mini rendering, check out the 3d models in sketchfab!
Every player will have a clan personalized board to keep track of troops and resources!
- Iron & Blood tier will include add-ons requiring special packaging, thus the varying shipping cost
- No additional cost for add-ons shipping
- European copies will be sent from inside the EU to avoid VAT.
We want to support retailers and distributors that decide to support our game on Kickstarter. Each retailer who pledges Barbarians: The Invasion will receive the game at the same time as other backers, approximately 6 months before we start distribution of the retail version. You will receive all the Kickstarter Exclusives and promos we unlock during the campaign. We're also offering a discount on top of the already discounted Kickstarter Price to retailers and distributors who order more than one copy of the game. If you wish to learn more about the pricing and discounts of this offer write us during the campaign: https://tabula.games/contact/
Risks and challenges
Before putting this game on Kickstarter, it was tested and refined many times over. All the work that went into the design and game play means that we are really confident about the flow and balance of the mechanics. The graphics and layouts could be subject to changes, since we are still fine-tuning minor elements. All the artworks from Ivan Cavini are final! We are discussing the finishing details for the production of the Volcano with our supplier and it could look slightly different from the version shown. We are doing our best to create a really high quality result, and we are sure that with your help this will happen.
All the members of our team have acquired a vast experience in the board game market, and in 2015 we successfully published Jewels on Kickstarter. We learned a lot and know how to deal with the logistics necessary to create an awesome game.
We decided to go on Kickstarter to gain the extra insight of the amazing people here, who help to guide the development of the game. We listen to our backers and strive to implement their clever ideas. Once funded, our stretch goals will add more content and better components to improve the game for everyone, something impossible without the help of Kickstarter.
To thank you for the help, we're offering the game at a discounted price during the campaign, plus the ability to receive it months before it goes out to distributors.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)