There are more than 78,000 board games and millions of people scattered around the globe who like to play them. We created Tabletopia to bring the games and the players closer to each other with help of digital technology.
There is Kindle for books, and there is iTunes for music. Board games also need their own platform. So here we are! Tabletopia consists of:
- the most advanced virtual table for gaming on PC, Mac, iOS and Android;
- a database for matching players, public and private game tables, players ratings and reputation system etc.;
- the workshop - a special editor to build your own games from scratch or port from standard graphics (no programming skills are required);
- tools for publishers and authors to playtest, demonstrate, promote and monetize their games.
Tabletopia is a sandbox. Players should know the rules of the game to play it. There is no AI or rules enforcement, but at the same time it has the freedom to play the game your way - exactly as if you were playing at a real table. However, we have done a lot to make each play for you a good experience:
- automatic game setups, card dealing, drafting etc.
- player’s turn control, timers, game phases indication
- interactive zones on the table with predefined automatic actions
- intelligent counters for tracking victory points and many other in-game parameters
- custom surfaces, game room wallpapers, sound effects advanced camera controls … and many other useful features!
Tabletopia is accessible from all perspectives. The basic version is free and is currently available for PC and MAC (browser based). Soon, we will launch a downloadable client on the Steam portal (first quarter of 2016) and then also add access for iOS and Android (second quarter of 2016).
Tabletopia was also featured in:
"Tabletopia is looking very promising, shaping up as the smoothest-looking and smoothest-playing digital board game platform available." - Game Salute
"Easy to setup and really intuitive to use by players. I believe that in a couple of years Tabletopia will be an indispensable tool for every boardgame designer." - Vital Lacerda
"I was very impressed with both the flexibility and intuitiveness of the system. It was slick, easy to operate and made me want to play more of the games, both digitally and in real life." - Crits Happen
“Really impressive… a potential game-changer!” - Rahdo
Rahdo Runs Through Tabletopia
Many well known publishers have already joined us and from day one you will get access to more than a hundred games. Soon there will be thousands of them!
These are single seat demos. Become a backer and get access to many other demos - including multiplayer games! A video tutorial on how to play is here.
We provide an intuitive and simple process for game creation from standard print-version graphics. Just drag and drop all your files into our database. Then add whatever you need from our extensive library of free game objects and sounds.
You will be able to create a digital implementation of your board game in a few hours without any programming skills. Then, decide what will happen to your game:
- put it in private mode (to playtest it only with your test group or demonstrate it to your chosen publishers)
- make it public - to show it to the world, gather feedback or promote it
- place it in the paid section of the game catalog to earn 70% from revenue generated by users (read more here)
As soon as the project goes to commercial release, there will be three levels of access for Players and three levels of access for Game Designers. Basic access for both groups will be free, but the most interesting games and system features will be for premium accounts. There are no additional fees per game – a silver (4,99) or gold (9,99) membership will give you access to the entire game catalogue (similar to how this is handled for music on Spotify).
Here you can find more information about Virtual Gaming and Testing rooms, advanced Hot Seat mode and other Tabletopia’s concepts.
Please note than you can combine pledges for gamers and designers; just add the appropriate amount to your initial pledge.
And what is for you - our backers?
- All our backers will get access to KS only demos, news and updates, during and after the campaign, and a special “founder badge” in Tabletopia forever.
- Early access - some of our pledges will allow you to join us directly after the campaign is over (1st week of October) and others will be allowed to join one month before open beta (approx. 1st week of December).
- Great discounts for subscriptions - from 17% to 33% less than the standard price. Also, subscriptions will only start from open beta start date - meaning that for the period before, full access to our system for you will be free of charge (additional 1 month for early access or 3 months for access after KS).
- KS exclusives! Tiers GameMaster and Titan will give you additional gaming or testing room for 100 years!
And of course, your help will make our projects better - with more games, more cool features and larger amount of players!
There are a lot of cool gaming components and accessories on Tabletopia already implemented but help us make the system even greater. We have hundreds of ideas on how to make your gaming experience unforgettable.
Stretch goals are only the beginning. During our Kickstarter campaign, you can unlock backer achievements by making Tabletopia reviews and help us on social media. You’ll unlock new KS exclusive demos that would be available right now! Help us to spread the word about Tabletopia!
You can also get access to new demos by scoring our achievements. Each achievement will open a new KS exclusive demo that would be ready to play! Just spread the word about Tabletopia and follow us on Twitter and Facebook
The creation of Tabletopia started early in 2014, when Tim Bokarev – author of the concept of digital publishing platform for board games – invited his friends and partners Artem Zinoviev and Dmitry Sergeev to take part in the project. Artem and Dmitry are the creators of Playtox and have a lot of experience in the gaming business. Tim is known in Russia for different projects in the digital field (Promo Interactive, Next Media Group), but also actively participates in a board game business (Igrology game studio and Tesera.ru main boardgame portal in Russia).
By spring 2014 Artem, Dmitry and Tim created a company named Tabletopia Inc USA and started the development. The team was quickly assembled, and the project has been moving rapidly since. The main development team is located in Novosibirsk, Russia, but there are more people working on the project from Russia, Ukraine, USA and Germany.
We have a lot of plans for Tabletopia, and we are constantly strengthening our team. Until now, it has all been financed by the founders directly. And now we need the support from the gaming community to make the project better, and to prepare for the international public launch (December 2015). We have a lot of plans - like advanced game tutorials, PBEM and Hotseat play enhancements, customizable visual effects for game objects and many other features. Your help is essential to make our dream come true. Together, we can make the best digital board game experience ever!
Risks and challenges
1. For PC/Mac version of Tabletopia, we already have a seamless gaming experience. As we based it on Unity, the project could technically be easily ported into iOS and Android. But to adapt the interface and game controls for touch-based devices can be a challenge
2. We have plans to add rules enforcement and an AI option for our games. To make this flexible and with clear API is a very time consuming and complicated task.
3. We have very big plans to build up our gaming catalog quickly. It may be difficult to scale up our support team accordingly to help publishers start working with our platform.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)