What is SPRINGbreak ChoreoFest?
An incubator of independent dance choreography for emerging and seasoned artists.
Over Spring Break 2018, this program aims to connect dance artists and provide choreographers with the opportunity to create new work with dancers that they may not have worked with before. Six selected choreographers will receive 2.5 hours of rehearsal time in the studios each day Monday through Thursday of the program week to create, investigate, and identify new movement ideas that are the spark for future development.
The aim is to build the independent dance industry in Boulder by:
- bringing dance artists to the area as well as highlighting local talent;
- providing choreographers with this unique opportunity to expand their practice; and
- connecting local professional dancers with choreographers from around the country emphasizing the caliber of dancers here in Colorado, as well as providing paid work for professional artists and possibly future work connections.
To date, the program has received applications from choreographers in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, and New York. The program culminates with a performance on Friday March 30, 2018 in the Grace Gamm Theater at the Dairy Arts Center. This performance is open to the public and will be filmed for those of you who live far away.
Where will your donation go?
- Artist fees - we aim to hire local professional dancers to work with the choreographers
- Venue rental - rehearsals will take place Monday through Thursday of Spring Break 2018 in the Boulder Ballet studios and the technical rehearsals and performance will be in the Grace Gamm Theater, all at the Dairy Arts Center
- Administrative fees and licensing
Risks and challenges
Funding! This is always the biggest challenge and while we are applying for funds through the usual means (sponsorship, grants, etc.) we really need your support to make this happen. We would love to reach our goal, and if we go beyond our goal then we will be able to pay even more dancers!!!
SPRINGbreak ChoreoFest 2018 is the pilot year for this program. It is designed to fill a hole in the independent dance scene here in Colorado and so all pledges (great and small) are extremely appreciated by us and the community that will benefit from this unique festival.
Thank you for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)