An inside look into the culture of swing dancing and the characters who make it special.
Thank you to everyone who has backed us. We are so grateful for your support and encouragement. You are the ones who made this happen!
Now that we have reached our goal of $100,000 we can finish production and start editing. That means we can get interviews transcribed (very expensive), create a script from the transcriptions, convert and transcode the files, pull selects from our many, many hours of footage, create an assembly, then a rough cut, whew! At that point we will have something to show and can move forward.
Why is it important to keep raising more money?
Remember that this is going to be a Feature documentary that is suitable for a theatrical release. With extra funds we can edit to our rough cut faster and better, afford more editing resources, and cover our fees to Kickstarter and Amazon. All funds will be used entirely toward making the film.
Though we have surpassed our initial goal, it’s important to keep in mind that this is only a fraction of the costs involved in making this film. The more we raise, the more options we have to tell the Swing dance story. Every extra penny helps! So join us on this incredible journey to bring this dance we all love to the world!
Take a look at the video above.
ABOUT THIS PROJECT
SWING! is an inside look into the culture of swing dancing and the characters who make it special. We explore the culture surrounding Swing dance, from the emergence of Lindy Hop in America to its modern-day growth to countries all over the world. Swing! looks at the lives of the dancers’ themselves to show how Swing dancing brings them great joy.
Just a small list of some of the dancers and musicians who are featured in the film include: Norma Miller, Chazz Young, Chester Whitmore, Lennart Westerlund, Dawn Hampton, Judy Pritchett, Frida & Skye, Kevin & Jo, Sharon & Juan, Evita & Michael, Nathan & Giselle, Sylvia Sykes, George Gee, Stompy Jones, Jonathan Stout, the list goes on…
For more information: www.swingthedoc.com
OUR GOAL WITH THIS DOCUMENTARY
We have been traveling around the world to different Swing communities. Now, we want to share these amazing stories with those who already love Swing dancing and those who don’t yet know its magic.
We want to show the world how amazing our community is. How this dance and music, born out of the Great Depression, bring people incredible joy and change their lives for the better.
We believe the stories that we have captured deserve to be told - and that by sharing them we can inspire thousands and thousands of people to start dancing and keep dancing. Join us on our mission to bring Swing around the world. With your help we can make it happen!
BUT WHICH REWARD TO CHOOSE?
If you haven’t noticed, we have quite a few rewards to peruse. To make life easier, here’s a consolidated list of everything we have to offer, including a full list of the swing dance camps and CD choices.
Search for something that you like, and find it on the rewards column to the right!
EVERYTHING... AND THE KITCHEN SINK!
- Updates on the film and your name on our sites
- Teaser trailer download
- CD album downloads
- Digital print of official movie poster
- Download of the film
- Compilation of lessons and rarely seen performances by Frankie Manning, Jean Veloz, and others!
- Your name in the film’s official credits/sneak-peak footage/exclusive interviews with living legends, Norma Miller and Dawn Hampton
- An invitation to a swing dance party at the same house from the party scene in the movie SWINGERS with stars of the film.
- Passes to MANY different swing dance camps and events
- Keds Original Champion Canvas Shoes
- Aris Allen Dance Shoes
- Private dance lesson with stars of the film
- Re-mix Dance Shoes
- A dance-on-role (AKA cameo)
- VIP Tickets to the LA premiere
- A pair of dance shoes autographed by Norma Miller
- A day in Hollywood (read reward for details)
- Sustaining Partner credit in the film
- Patron Producer credit in the film
- Presenting Producer credit in the film
- "If Dreams Come True" by George Gee
- "Jammin’ the Blues" by Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five featuring Hilary Alexander
- "Sock It To Me" the latest album by Stompy Jones
- "Nice Work If You Can Get It" the latest album by the Boilermaker Jazz Band
- "Live in Rochester" the latest album by Gordon Webster.
Click the links for samples of the songs!
DANCING PASSES TO SWING CAMPS
- Catalina Swing Dance Festival Avalon, CA
- Camp Hollywood Los Angeles, CA
- Balboa Rendezvous San Diego and Newport Beach, CA
- Some Like it Haunt Halloween Swing Weekend San Diego, CA
- Ray Hirsch Birthday Jam Valentine Weekend San Francisco, CA
- SF Bal Fest San Francisco, CA
- Lindy on the Rocks Denver, CO
- Lindy Diversion Fusion Dance Weekend Denver, CO
- Rocky Mountain Balboa Blowout Denver, CO
- Beantown Camp Beverly, MA
- Pirate Swing Ann Arbor, MI
- The Nevermore Jazz Ball & St. Louis Swing Dance Festival St. Louis, MO
- Swing Out New Hampshire Hebron, NH
- 505 Stomp Albuquerque, NM
- Camp Jitterbug Seattle, WA
- Lindy Hop Argentina International Festival (LHAIF) Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Swing Camp OZ Adelaide, Australia
- Melbourne Swing Festival Melbourne, Australia
- Vienna Hot Swing Jam (VHSJ): Some Like It Hot! Vienna, Austria
- Brasil Swing Out Extravaganza (BSOE) São Paulo, Brasil
- Frankie Tribute Weekend Toronto, Canada
- Prague Swing Xmas Prague, Czech Republic
- Prague Spring Swing Festival Prague, Czech Republic
- DJam Swing Dance Festival Durham, England
- London Swing Festival London, England
- Lindy in the Alps Camp Bardonecchia, Italy
- Shout and Feel It Dance Camp Bologna, Italy
- Be-Lindy Zena Camp Genova, Italy
- Sophisticated Lady Dance Camp Genova, Italy
- The Balboa Revolution November AND December Workshop Genova, Italy
- Tutti Frutti Dance Camp Genova, Italy
- Italian Balboa Festival Italian Alps
- Winter Jump Oslo Dance Camp Oslo, Norway
- Dragon Swing Krakow, Poland
- SwingFest Saint-Petersburg, Russia
- Edinburgh Lindy Exchange Edinburgh, Scotland
HOW KICKSTARTER WORKS
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars in money to creative projects in dozens of categories. In return for your donation, we are able to offer thank you gifts, depending on the amount that you pledge.
Kickstarter is powered by a unique all-or-nothing funding method where projects must be fully-funded or no money changes hands. In other words, if we don’t raise our goal of $100,000, we lose everything.
A Kickstarter campaign is a lot like the opening weekend of a movie release; the better you do at the beginning, the better you do overall. So if you are considering backing us, please don’t delay!
HOW TO PLEDGE
Read through the pledge levels and decide what you want to donate. We are extremely fortunate to have a multitude of Sponsors. But that means that we have a really, Really, REALLY long list of pledge levels! So please scroll all the way down and read everything through before you decide. We are thrilled to offer some great rewards!
Once you decide what level you would like to choose, just click the green “Back This Project” button in the upper right-hand corner. You will be asked to input your pledge amount and select a reward. From there, you will go through the Amazon checkout process. You must finish the Amazon checkout process for your pledge to be recorded.
CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PLAYING AN EVEN LARGER ROLE ON THE FILM?
Absolutely. Email Susan at email@example.com. She would love to talk with you and answer any questions you may have.
There is an Associate Producer credit at $25,000, a Co-Executive Producer credit available at $50,000, an Executive Producer credit at $60,000 and a Presenting Partner / Executive Producer credit at $75,000. These donations can be tax deductible. Please get in touch with us for more information.
Please note that these are honorary titles and do not engender any creative or business involvement/decision-making nor does the credit entitle any claim of ownership.
HOW TO SHARE THIS WITH THE WORLD!
The best way to help is to share this very page with your family, friends, and co-workers!
Best ways to share this campaign and our trailer:
A short email. We are asking everyone to send an email to at least ten friends. We want this to go viral!!!
On Facebook. You can simply click the "Like" button directly below the video at the top of the screen. Or paste the URL straight onto your page with a message!
On Twitter. You can also tweet out the video - once again by clicking the button under the video or simply sharing the direct URL for this page.
Or whatever platform you’re on: Google +, tumblr, your blog, your podcast. All forms are welcome. : )
Make an announcement at your local Swing dance. People will thank you.
Old fashioned word-of-mouth. Unplug the computer and your phone and just talk with people in your lives about it! Few things beat a genuine, face-to-face conversation.
Again, any way you can help - big or small - is deeply appreciated! The more conversations we can start, the better.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE DON’T REACH OUR GOAL?
We get nothing! You aren't charged and we don't receive any of the funding. Don't worry, this won't happen! It's going to be amazing! :)
WHAT WILL THE FUNDS BE USED FOR?
We have now finished 70% of filming. Our Kickstarter campaign will enable us to finish shooting and edit the film.
CAN WE EXCEED OUR GOAL?
Yes We Can!
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE GO OVER THE GOAL?
We make a larger impact on thousands of more people! We will funnel those funds back into the film to make the best movie possible.
CAN YOU DONATE OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES?
Of course! Just click on the Amazon Payment Button and you will see that you can pay with a credit card from any country! But you must finish the Amazon checkout process for your pledge to be recorded. If you have any problems just contact us.
CAN CONTRIBUTORS INCREASE PLEDGES ONCE THEY HAVE MADE THEM?
Absolutely! If you have already contributed, and are signed in to your account, then instead of a green “Back This Project” button on our page, there should be a blue “Manage Your Donation” button.
CAN I GIVE A REWARD AS A GIFT?
Gifting is a wonderful idea! After the campaign, when we message you for details on your rewards, you can then give us the information for the person you wish to gift.
HOW IS MY PLEDGE PROCESSED AND CHARGED?
Once the campaign is successful, your pledge will be processed by Amazon. It's safe and secure - Amazon is one of the premiere online retailers.
Photos From Project
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.