Zahatar is a band made up of classically trained musicians who also have fun exploring other musical styles. We arrange all of our own music, pulling themes from the Celtic tradition, Chinese and Spanish folk melodies, bluegrass, pop/rock, film soundtracks, ragtime, the Classical era, and even composing original pieces! We've performed together for many years and are finally ready to take it to the next level with our first official album release!
Below: Absurd Good News, LIVE at our recent concert performance of The Little Country....
- Scott A Stewart is our violist and composer. He plays a mean jam and writes some of the most ethereal music being heard today.
- Sarah Goodwin Hoskins is our cellist. Her soaring melodies will make you weep. We dare you not to weep. At least a little. In the root of your soul.
- Christopher Grano is our violinist, fiddler, and arranger. He likes to do crazy things like spending 300 hours arranging all of the music from The Little Country!
- ‘Cille Lutsch is our flautist, who plays both flute and pennywhistle. She rips into jigs with the tenacity of the Irish!
- Emily Goodwin Smith is our harpist, on pedal and Celtic harps. Her playing has brought a unique magical quality to our arrangements.
- Shilo Stroman is our percussionist. He likes to hit things, and succeeds at making such violent tendencies sound good!
- Scott Laumann is the visual artist who created the astounding art installation for our live debut performance of The Little Country. The now iconic image of a hot pink tumbleweed is just one piece of his unique vision of the intersection between worlds so elegantly told in story by Charles de Lint.
- Gabriele Woolever is the brilliant photographer who visually documents all of our shows. She'll be collaborating with Scott Laumann to design the album cover and liner notes for The Little Country.
- Lokusdor Productions is the eclectic organization that will be drawing in techno artists to create a remix EP of selections from The Little Country if we reach our second stretch goal.
We want to have the opportunity to record an album version of The Little Country song cycle, which began as single melody lines in the appendix of one of Charles de Lint’s urban fantasy novels from the early 90’s. These tunes had never before been arranged for string band in their entirety, until now. Zahatar recently held a sold-out performance of the song cycle, and recording an album is our next endeavor. Every step of the way, our project has been endorsed by Charles de Lint, and we are forever thankful to him for allowing us the rights to bring these tunes to life from the pages of his wondrous book.
We love playing Celtic music, and The Little Country is a project that’s very near and dear to us. We want to share this experience with the world!
Scott Laumann's iconic art for The Little Country is making its way onto high-quality die-cut stickers! Each pledge at the $35 and above will receive three of these unique stickers as an additional backer reward!
$9,000 level - Concert t-shirt! The image on the t-shirts will feature one of the centerpieces of Scott Laumann's art installation: a hot pink tumbleweed spinning above an old-school turntable.
NEW STRETCH GOAL ADDED: We've also added a new, improved stretch goal! If we make it to $10,000, we'll be unlocking rewards at lower tiers! Here's the deal:
- Die-cut tumbleweed stickers will be unlocked at the $25 level! (currently included in all $35+ levels)
- Concert poster will be unlocked at the $35 level! (currently included in the $50+ levels)
- Concert t-shirt will be unlocked at the $50 level! (currently included in the $100+ levels if we reach $9,000)
NOTE: If we hit $10,500, which unlocks our remix EP produced by Probe 7 and Lokusdor Productions, all backers at the $100 level and above will receive a copy of the EP along with all other stretch goals. There's a similar deal with the vinyl pressing of the EP, which will become available for $100-level backers and up if we reach $12,000.
$10,500 level - The track "Her Two Chairs" from The Little Country will be remixed by the techno group Probe 7 and our friends at Lokusdor Productions for a special collaborative EP in digital and physical CD formats. To check out this rockin' track, see a video grab from our sold-out live performance:
$12,000 level - Her Two Chairs - The EP on LIMITED EDITION VINYL!
And beyond...the sky's the limit!
We feel it's especially important for you - our supporters - to have an idea of how we will put your money to good use if our campaign is funded successfully.
Risks and challenges
Recording an album requires a lot of time, talent, money, and coordination. Scheduling times for most high-end recording studios can take an average of six months, which can potentially delay the ensuing phases of CD production and distribution. Errors can exist in CD proofs, which may need to be sent back to the manufacturer for correction before final distribution. Despite any potential delays, we are a professional group and will communicate with all backers in a timely manner regarding the status of the project.
If stretch goals are unlocked, shipping times may be slightly delayed in order to ensure that each backer receives their rewards with the same high standard of quality and care that we value.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)