This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
Freedom Squadron - A Savage Worlds Setting
Freedom Squadron - A Savage Worlds Setting
Freedom Squadron is a high-octane "Love Letter to 80's Cartoon Action Heroes," featuring new rules and new options for Savage Worlds.
Freedom Squadron is a high-octane "Love Letter to 80's Cartoon Action Heroes," featuring new rules and new options for Savage Worlds. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
It is the year 2051. After the startling discovery of VENOM—a paramilitary organization and global conspiracy that's been interfering in world events since the end of the 19th century—the United Nations and leaders of the free world have been shaken to their core. In the aftermath of World War III, which they started, VENOM's clear goal is world domination, and they will stop at nothing to achieve it.
The world's response? Choose the greatest hero of the war, General Abraham Steel, and charge him to recruit an elite fighting force to oppose VENOM and protect liberty for all. That force, comprised of the best-of-the-best from all over the globe, is Freedom Squadron!
Players take on the role of those who've heeded the call to action. They are new Recruits who must first earn their stripes to become Commandos. Eventually, if they live up to the expectations of trainers like Sandbar, Corporal Carnage, Preedatore, and Blindsight, they may earn their Code Names and carry the fight to VENOM anywhere in the world... and beyond!
"Savage Worlds was created to handle the kinds of games I often like to play and run, where you can be a badass fighter or wizard or whatever, but you can also be a leader. A planner. I'm proud of how the game accommodates that, and my friend Sean Patrick Fannon has added even more to it in Freedom Squadron.
I had a blast in the Plans & Operations phase riffing off the other players, figuring out how best to use our individual characters' skills, and then watching it all come together in the adventures that followed. Sean isn't afraid of big games and big ideas, and this may be his best yet. I can't wait to back, buy, and run it myself!"
-Shane Lacy Hensley (Code Name: BUBBLES), veteran author and game designer, creator of Savage Worlds®, CEO Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Freedom Squadron has many new features for Savage Worlds® fans. Written and designed by Sean Patrick Fannon (Shaintar, Savage Rifts®), these are special rules both inspired by his previous work and brand new for this setting. These include:
- Plans & Operations: A unique combination of core Savage Worlds® game play elements that allows players to engage in multiple missions and actions in an "action cinema montage" style. Intelligence gathering, tactical positioning, investigations, covert insertions, computer hacking—anything and everything special ops Commandos might do between their epic battles with VENOM and other enemies. Fast-paced, inclusive, and designed to feature all of a hero's skills, the Plans & Operations rules are sure to enhance any Savage Worlds® game.
- Vocation Frameworks and Specializations: Inspired and adapted from the character creation rules of Savage Rifts®, these allow the player to choose a starting package of skills and abilities that reflect their primary role in the team, while also gaining cool extra abilities rolled randomly from various interesting charts. This is all on top of the usual core Savage Worlds® character building process.
- New Edges: like Fighting Style, Operational Planning, Qi Focus, Strange DNA, and the innovative Zone Specialist (allowing heroes to truly shine in various environments like Arctic, Mountain, or Sea Zones).
- Skill Focuses, Gear Points, and much, much more!
Freedom Squadron for Savage Worlds®, is based on VENOM Assault®, the board game created by SpyGlass Games. Evil Beagle Games has worked with World Designer Michael Knight to not only bring the world to life, but to expand on it as well.
While VENOM Assault® is not required at all in order to immerse yourself in the world of Freedom Squadron, you can check out SpyGlass Games' website to view many character bios and even purchase the game!
Pinnacle Entertainment Group has created one of the most popular game systems in the world with Savage Worlds®, specifically oriented towards pulp and cinema action experiences. Sean Patrick Fannon of Evil Beagle Games has worked with them for years, and is the mastermind behind Savage Rifts®. Creating Freedom Squadron for Savage Worlds® was never a question.
With Pinnacle's new release of Flash Gordon™ the Roleplaying Game, featuring many new rules updates, Freedom Squadron® is completely up-to-date and represents the state-of-the-art for Savage Worlds® fans.
New To Savage Worlds?
If you're new to the Savage Worlds® rules system, Freedom Squadron® does require the core rulebook to play. You can get it in print and PDF from Pinnacle's website. Pinnacle Entertainment Group publishes and manufactures the Savage Worlds® rules book, and maintains this website.
"Freedom Squadron offers an RPG experience like no other. This game is bursting with nostalgic tropes and themes, added to the rock-solid gameplay of the Savage Worlds system. The Plans & Operations rules are an innovative mechanic that focuses the action right where it belongs: on your characters facing down VENOM. Freedom Squadron is the perfect way to take on the roles of an elite, highly-trained special mission force and go on exciting adventures in this fully-realized setting!" - Ross Watson (Code Name: SKIPPER), Product Line Manager Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory; Lead Developer, Savage Rifts; Lead Writer/Designer, Accursed
• The Freedom Squadron Commando's Manual:
This essential manual is used to create characters in the Freedom Squadron world that will be tough enough and strong enough to pit themselves against VENOM's evil forces. Freedom Squadron brings only the very best into its ranks, which means that every Recruit comes from a background of extensive education, training, and practical field experience. Many are veterans of World War III, other military conflicts, or are otherwise noted experts in their fields.
Players will choose from a large list of Vocation Frameworks, make rolls on one or more Hero's Journey: Freedom Squadron Specialization charts, and either choose or randomly determine a Narrative Hook to design a robust character.
- Similar to the Iconic Frameworks of Savage Rifts®, Vocation Frameworks represent a package of Edges, Skills, and special abilities that reflect the training and experience of a Recruit before they joined Freedom Squadron. Expect to find Frameworks such as Driver, Medic, Sailor, Soldier, Tech Specialist, and whole lot more!
- The Hero's Journey tables are reminiscent of those found in other Savage Worlds® settings, such as Savage Rifts®. Each character will gain a number of rolls on select charts based on the player's choice of Vocation Framework. You can gain even more rolls by taking the Squadron Branch Training Edge later during character development. Example charts include Black Ops, Close Quarters Combat, Combat Medicine, Infantry, Logistics, and more.
- The Narrative Hooks allow a possible connection with other players, as well as the establishing reasons for the hero to become part of Freedom Squadron.
- New Edges, such as Operational Planning and Zone Specialist, bring new diversity and strengths into Savage Worlds®. The former enhances the leadership role for any hero who goes that route, while the latter lets characters that are adept at operating within a particular type of terrain really shine in those circumstances.
Beyond character creation, the Commando's Manual contains essential background history of the world, it's current geo-political status, and the full structure of the Freedom Squadron: Global Operations Force. There's also an arsenal of weapons, equipment, and vehicles (and a Gear Points system for managing who can carry what into the field, and how they can customize their gear). Armed with everything within this book, a well rounded character will be ready to bring down VENOM's plans once and for all!
• The Freedom Squadron Plans & Operations Manual:
More than just a Game Master's handbook, this revolutionary manual contains the tools necessary to run the Plans & Operations phases for campaigns that will make Freedom Squadron® such a powerful and player-driven experience for fans. As well, the information in this book can easily be adapted to run P&O style sessions in any Savage Worlds® setting—high fantasy adventurers trying to solve a royal murder; investigators into eldritch horrors tracking down cult activities and ancient artifacts; modern-day mission specialists breaking into enemy strongholds; cyberpunk-style data stealing runs; and much more!
- This special set of rules is designed to integrate the planning stage of a mission with actual game play. What often used to be a tedious, drawn-out part of many games has now been transformed into something fun and playable as a series of "mini-games".
- This system also brings out the skills and talents of heroes that aren't always as combat-intensive in nature, such as technical abilities and social skills.
- Entire intelligence gathering missions, preemptive battles, social interactions, data hacks, and more quickly become a part of the game session with detailed stories that do not sacrifice hours of game-play.
The Plans & Operations Manual works in conjunction with a special set of cards, known as The Plans & Operations Deck. This deck allows for the randomization of mission parameters to be set forth, while still leaving the specifics of the mission vague enough to be able to be integrated into any situation. The result is immersive, fun, and fast.
Check out this tutorial video where the designer himself, Sean Patrick Fannon, tells you how it works and shows you a sample round of game play with some of his friends.
The Freedom Squadron Plans & Operations Manual also contains valuable Game Master information, including a Random Mission Generator system; GM-specific information about VENOM and other antagonists; basic stats for VENOM and other likely foes; and more!
Add-On's are optional, additional items that can be added to any Backer Level by increasing your Pledge Level, or by using JetBacker after the Kickstarter ends. As Add-on's are unlocked via Stretch Goals, we will list them here for an easy-view list!
• The Freedom Squadron Commando Manual: $25.00
• The Freedom Squadron Plans & Operations Manual: $25.00
• The Plans & Operations Deck: $15.00
Note: Additional Shipping may apply.
After multiple requests and great suggestions, we at Evil Beagle Games and SpyGlass Games realize we are best served paying attention to our great fans and backers. Thus, we're announcing a few Backer Goals that will unlock a little differently than standard Stretch Goals. On the Stretch Goal list, we've carefully crafted everything to reflect amazing additions that will unlock as fast as we can, while making sure that we can confidently bring them to you within the budget we've strategically worked out. With that careful balance in mind, we chose to add a separate list of great ideas that unlocks as we attain a total quantity of backers. In this way, we hope you will then be encouraged to go out and bring in more folks to back at whatever level they might choose. Should you have any other ideas that you want to see come to life in this Kickstarter, leave us a comment, and we may just have to look into what it would take to make your concept a reality!
"I hear the booted footsteps of VENOM commandos rushing up from behind me. I tighten my bandanna as a smirk curls my lips. The moment is right, and my grenade lands perfectly next to the fuel tanks. They didn't have a chance. Without looking back, I stride away from the explosion as the guitar riff crescendos. That's Freedom Squadron!" - Wendelyn Reischl (Code Name: ROOK), Contributing Writer & Game Designer, Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory; author for Gnome Stew; founder of Denver RPG Meetup (one of the world's largest RPG meetups); Board of Directors, Gamers Giving
"The first time I sat down for Freedom Squadron I was enthralled. Action around every corner and intense combat that I will remember for years. Simply one of the greats in gaming." - Zavier Bates (Code Name: SHOCKER), Game Designer, Seeking Heroes (makers of Oathen)
"This game is amazing. It takes military games to the next level with its Planning and Operations phase. You know those games where you have skills you probably never use? Yeah...you get to use them all. I can't wait for the final product." - Brian Keller (Code Name: HADRIAN), VP Business for Windmill Game Company
"Thoroughly enjoyed the mechanics when I got to play test the setting during ChupacabraCon 2017 and absolutely cannot wait for the Kickstarter to be up and running! Signing off, see you on the battlefield!" - Kylie Branch (Code Name: BLACKFLAME), enthusiastic and appreciated fan
“Epic, fast-paced combat with innovative game mechanics and opportunities for in depth role play! 80s nostalgia done as it should be! You need to play this!” - Robert Dorf (Code Name: KIAI), RPG reviewer, longtime Champions fan and beloved GM, renowned scholar of luchador history and other artifacts of popular culture obscura
"The perfect blend of techno-thriller action and Saturday Morning Cartoon awesomeness. The Plans & Operations system is a player driven system that not only rewards clever thinking, careful planning, and teamwork, but makes these things fun and the seed for great roleplaying opportunities." - John Atkinson (Code Name: IRON), early supporter, military historian, and instructor in military tactics and planning.
"The Planning & Operations deck really brings the game to life! Everybody in the group gets to participate, regardless of their skills and focuses. The cards truly make you feel like a team actively working together to achieve the mission; no one gets left behind. And that is a Freedom fact!" - Nestor Rodriguez (Code Name: DANCER), longtime Champions fan and highly respected GM and player.
Evil Beagle Games has worked very closely with a number of FLGS locations in order to offer an amazing Kickstarter experience!
Please visit the Retail Backer Level website for terms and conditions: Retail Backers.
Please remember to check back often to see if new Retail-only Stretch Goals have been unlocked for you to benefit from!
All shipping will be charged after the campaign via JetBacker, our Pledge Manager. Below are the estimated costs that you may incur. All final shipping totals will be listed in JetBacker.
This game references the Savage Worlds game system, available from Pinnacle Entertainment Group at www.peginc.com. Savage Worlds and all associated logos and trademarks are copyrights of Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Used with permission. Pinnacle makes no representation or warranty as to the quality, viability, or suitability for purpose of this product.
Risks and challenges
Evil Beagle Games consists of some of the most impressive writers, editors, and layout designers that the RPG community has to offer, who have worked on a number of products already on the market. Their knowledge from working with Pinnacle Entertainment in the past makes them well equipped with what it takes in each stage of the process to bring a superior product to fruition, and they are completely up to the task. While unknown issues can often arise in such a large project, this experienced team is ready to handle anything that may come so that you, the customer, are taken care of.
In order to assist in the spread of workload, Evil Beagle Games has invited SpyGlass Games to manufacture, host, and run the KickStarter portion of the project. SpyGlass has been successful with Kickstarter in the past, and is well versed in the many challenges that come with the process of creating, running, and completing one. They have made many contacts in the printing and fulfillment world and are dedicated to helping Evil Beagle Games run and complete the Freedom Squadron Kickstarter.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter