About this project
Burning Suns is an intense tactical science fiction board game set in an expansive universe, where empires are competing for supremacy through technology, diplomacy, exploitation and destruction.
For 2-5 players, Ages: 14+, with a game time of 40 min. per player.
Burning Suns is filled with features, that makes the game stand out from the crowd.
Burning Suns is designed with both casual and tournament play in mind. Being thematic enjoyable while maintaining a balanced and tactical gameplay.
Burning Suns is designed to give you a different experience every time you play.
- Viral goals (blue) >> The more fans we can find, the more great artwork we unlock.
- Kickstarter promo goals (green) >> The more backers we get, the more components we can put in the game.
- Stretch goals (red) >> The higher funding we reach, the more cool minis and Dieships we can create.
Find the stretch goal descriptions appropriately laid out in the campaign.
Every copy of the game (starting at: £55 / €64 / $84) contains all promo & stretch goal reached.
UndeadViking, 01/07-2013 (Youtube)
Tom Vasel, 26/08-2013 (Youtube)
- BGG review, by Antsmath (detailed theme and mechanics)
- BGG review, by Rocy7 POL (review/battlereport)
- BGG review, by Stunke
- BGG review, by Spyre
- BGG review, by Drakecoldwinter
- Father Geek review - by Cyrus (not for kids, but for gamers!)
- Google+ review, by Josh
- "I was shocked to see so many fresh and good ideas!"
- "You're tossed straight into the fray, conflict and strategy from first turn!"
- "The game's mechanics takes away a lot of downtime, it's tactically interesting and just works!"
- "I can't wait to get my hands on a full version!"
Below you can download the Print'n'play prototype + rules for Burning Suns.
Rules will currently be available in the following languages (English, German, French, Spanish and Italian), all thanks to the support of our backers.
You'll find the following in every box of Burning Suns.
* NOTE: The box content is subject to changes (e.g. if we reach our stretch goals). These changes are being added to the total amount (*)
If you want even more Dieships and minis (e.g. for upgrading other games, wanting to build a huge game of Burning Suns, painting them etc..) No extra shipping is needed.
To add extras - just increase your pledge the appropriate amount, and we'll sort out the details after the Kickstarter ends by sending you a survey.
Please be aware that the $ (Dollar) and € (Euro) prices are subject to changes, due to the conversion rate of the £ (Pound).
You can help us make Burning Suns a success!
Our viral goals, corresponding to our different channels.
The team behind Burning Suns.
- Interview with Emil Larsen > How Lou Sees it
- Interview with Emil Larsen > Windsor Gaming Resource (on Examiner too)
- Podcast with Emil Larsen > DJ Grandpa's Crib (at the 34 min. mark)
- Huge interview with Emil Larsen > iSlayTheDragon
- Burning Suns caught the eye of Kickstarter conversations
- Burning Suns on Gioconomicon (Italian board game news)
- Kickstarter of the week - BoardGameQuest
- Kickstarter gaming goodness - Burning Suns
- Interview with Emil Larsen > Tesera (Russian)
- Burning Suns mentioned on Funding the dream podcast
- Burning Suns on Limonka Games (Polish board game news)
- Burning Suns on Tesera (Russian board game news)
- Burning Suns on Gaming Trend
- Interview with Emil Larsen > Elephant's Board Games (by Dusan)
- Burning Suns in megazine (Swedish media news)
- Burning Suns on "Papskubber.dk" (Danish board game news)
- Burning Suns in "Today in Board Games"
- Interview with Emil Larsen > Kickstarter conversations (by James Yee)
- #26 - Newest digital stuff, future communication and 8th mission
- #25 - Guardian concepts (vote), production and 7th mission
- #24 - Status, the final sprint and 6th mission
- #23 - Winners, extra dice in the packages, 5th mission
- #22 - Vassal module, Print'n'Play and 4th mission
- #21 - Changeling concepts, Writer's contest and 3rd mission
- #20 - Important - There's no changes
- #19 - Game packages, Wiki updates and 2nd mission
- #18 - Stretch goal update, Changeling concepts (vote) and 1st mission
- #17 - Cyborgs, brainstorm and the crowd
- #16 - Print'n'play Prototype, mirror matchups and mini colors
- #15 - Balancing, Cyborg naming and empire parts
- #14 - Templar unit set, naming them and writer's contest
- #13 - FAQs on stretch goals & Burning Wiki
- #12 - We did it!! Stretch goals and ask us anything!
- #11 - Reached goals, new goals + add-ons
- #10 - Guild, Paypal and Dropbox
- #9 - Templar concepts, reaching out(side) and what am I backing?
- #8 - Boosting Friday Night
- #7 - Templar concepts (vote), languages and epic vs tournament
- #6 - BGG Viral goal reached, rearranging pledges and AGP
- #5 - The 400 backer goal and news!
- #4 - Refreshing the campaign
- #3 - 54% and the coming days
- #2 - 272 in under 48 hours and status
- #1 - 25% and the next steps
Risks and challenges
- - - ( Project scope ) - - -
One of my main concerns about Burning Suns, is to keep the game and production within scope. This means that I’ve cut reward levels down to a manageable number, and I’ll be focusing on reward levels that revolve around the game and not fancy t-shirts etc. that will make me depend upon 3rd party production. This will allow me to keep all my attention on the game and the team creating it.
- - - ( Project creep ) - - -
A term used when a project is crippled by more and more things being added on. If you look at my different stretch goals, you’ll notice that besides adding on promo components, every new plastic set added in the box is aligned with the extras. This is done to avoid that the stretch goals will suffocate the project's administration and economy and thereby my company (I want to publish more games in the future).
The whole production has been estimated by our manufacturers, including a wide range of expandable areas.
- - - ( Project delays ) - - -
Delays are of course always a threat! I’ve therefore decided to align the production with the continued development of the game. This means that while I work with my backers on the final balancing and tournament testing, I’ll start the preparation for the minis, cardboard pieces and so on. This will allow us to run both processes and in the end join them together as we reach the final conclusions on the game.
- - - - - - - - - - -
I hope that this was yet another good argument for you to back our project.
No matter what - you have my thanks for getting this far.
Happy gaming and best regards Emil Larsen, founder of SunTzuGamesLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
The GAME PACKAGE comes with > > 1 copy of the game + the following extra items: 5 x Stands, 1 x Empires, 1 x Systems, 1 x Dice, 1 x Concept book, 1 x Short-story
The price is: £90 / €104 / $138 > > You'll save £5 on this package.
- - - - - - - - -
The XL GAME PACKAGE comes with > > 1 copy of the game + the following extra items: 5 Dieship sets (1 of each set in white), 10 x Stands, 1 x Empires, 1 x Systems, 2 x Dice, 1 x Concept book, 1 x Short-story.
The price is: £145 / €168 / $222 > > You'll save £9 on this package.
Just to be absolutely clear - there must be no confusion here.
Every pledge that says: "1 copy of the game", contains EVERYTHING it has always contained, and that is EVERYTHING (plastic, tokens, minis, boards, everything that's in the box) :)
Nothing has been taken out, nothing has or will be altered.
We've put a lot of effort in creating this special science fiction atmosphere in Burning Suns, so we kindly ask for your respect and imagination in creating names for our characters in the game.
As long as it sounds like a plausible sci-fi name, we're happy with you using an alternate version of your own name and so on.
Once the names have to be found - backers will be send a link to a form where they can type name and choose the leader/agent/system etc.
This will all be handled in priority to when the backers were pledging (easy and fair for everyone).
PS: You'll get credited for naming the item.
If you want your game shipped to Norway, Australia or anywhere else outside of the 3 regions (US, Canada and EU), then you'll have to add £15 / €17 / $23 to the total amount pledged.
A good idea would be to go to www.boardgamegeek.com and start a thread about sharing shipping costs with 2 or 3 other people (e.g. Double, Triple or Quadruple Suns). Saving some of the expenses that way around.
If you want: 1 game of Burning Suns + 2 extra unit sets.
Choose pledge level > Burning Suns £55 > and add 2 * £7 in the following menu.
Your total pledge: £69
If you want: 2 games of Burning Suns, and one of you also want 5 extra unit sets.
Choose pledge level > Double Suns £105 > and add 5 * £7 in the following menu.
Your total pledge: £140
The reason it's more expensive than getting the prototype printed now, is because we're going to update the Prototype post Kickstarter.
New shapes, new layout and illustrations, upgraded components - making the Prototype more expensive and looking more like the final product.
All in all - you can be certain those extra money is spend on your prototype :)
If you want the PDFs & 3D models, you just need to pledge for "Promo backer" or higher.
You don't need to add extra if you've already pledged for a copy of the game :)
PS: And in the Print'n'Play version we'll also include the "unit tokens", for those who doesn't have access to a 3D printer.
Promos will be added to every copy of Burning Suns in the first print run (this means that every backer will get additional components).
> Promos will have icon or similar indicating that you got your hands on a Kickstarter copy.
> On promos where it's possible, we'll add something special like unique artwork or similar.
> Promos will not be guaranteed in future print runs, but might be moved to special expansions (backers will get more in their original game).
--> These promos has to be available, since Burning Suns is also focused on tournament play (you need access to every component through expansion or similar to make it fair for everyone).
> Promos will not have unique game play impact that will distort the balance or game play experience.
If we're successful with the Kickstarter, we'll give every backer access to the "Print'n'Play"-prototype files (PDFs) as soon as possible, so people can start creating their own prototype.
Backers who have pledge for "Promo backer" or more, will get the Final PDFs (the ones that goes to the printer) and the 3D files of the entire game, so you'll be able to create their own version of the finished game.
P'n'P Prototype > All backers > 1-2 months after Kickstarter > PDFs (our own setup).
P'n'P Final > Promo backers and up > 1-2 months after the final production have started > PDFs + 3D (manufacturer's setup).
No matter how many stretch goals or promo goals we reach, every copy of Burning Suns will contain the same about of goodies. So if you order 3 copies, you get 3 times stretch and promo goals :)
Yes - you also get to name the agent that's created with your looks.
Support this project
- (45 days)