Hello all you board game lovers!
We love Liverpool, but there is something lacking in the world’s most fabulous city... A perfect space where people from all ages and backgrounds can come together and become anything from Backgammon champions and bean farmers to epidemiologists and werewolves, all while eating delicious home-baked and locally-sourced treats.
A board game café is so much more than a quick espresso whilst sitting alone at a table. We are all about social interaction. Our vision is a comfortable café with an extensive library of hundreds of board and card games from around the world to choose from and enjoy. Whether you want put your strategic skills to the test or even take your word knowledge to the next level, our knowledgeable staff will be on hand to help you find a game to suit your group and explain the rules. Your hardest choice will be deciding between one or two slices of cake.
Jason and Vanessa spent the last few years living in Berlin, where they were introduced to the concept of board game cafés. Being new to the city, it was here that they found new friends and connections. Every board game café they visited was filled to the brim with smiling and laughing people of all ages interacting with each other. They soon realised that this concept would be a perfect fit for the friendly and welcoming people of Liverpool and they decided to bring this little slice of joy to England and make it a reality here when they returned to the country at the end of 2015.
Soon after, they met Rachel - a fellow board game obsessive. Rachel trained and worked as a Food Technology teacher and then perfected those skills to become a professional cake baker, so you know her baked goodies are incredible. Having found each other, the Sugar and Dice trio worked with Liverpool's Chamber of Commerce to develop their business plan, then sought out the perfect venue and are now ready to roll!
All three bonded over a strong belief in sourcing products locally and this will help you to enjoy your coffee, beer and snacks even more whilst plotting that world domination in a game of Risk! Our coffee will be supplied from awesome local roasters, Joe Blacks, and we have been sampling the wonderful craft beer brewers of Merseyside for our fridges. All of our cakes will be made on site, because nothing gets more local than that and what can beat freshly baked treats?!
Why are we running a Kickstarter campaign? We have found the most amazing venue in central Liverpool, but it needs a lot of work. We’ve pretty much maxed out our credit cards, especially after quitting our jobs to work on this full time almost a year ago. We have saved up for the rent and for the basic building work required, however we are hoping for a little bit of help to upgrade the place to something really spectacular.
The current lights are randomised and different strengths. Winter is coming – as Game of Thrones keeps telling us – and we want to make sure you can see those board games once those dark winter nights arrive. Tables are also a huge expense, but a necessary one – we want you to sit with your friends comfortably for a few hours and be able to fit your game, your dinner and your drink on the table without feeling squashed! We also want to move the radiators around and get a top oven so we can bake everything on the premises. A commercial dishwasher is another thing we really would love to have, so we have more time to chat to you all instead of washing up all day long. Plus, for those of you who like a beer with their game, we are hoping to get an Alcohol Licence too! Money raised will also help us provide a larger starting inventory of games to purchase as we push to become the go-to store for all things board and card games related in Merseyside.
Our plan is to create an environment in which you would want to spend a few hours playing board games with us from the opening day.
Enough about us though - we want to give our lovely backers some fabulous incentives for helping us get started… and what better than Sugar and Dice merchandise and special opening offers! Your pledge will also be a great way to be part of the inner circle and find out first about the latest developments and exciting news.
We love the items we are offering to you soooo much, we almost want to keep them all ourselves (especially the 'Be Red' pledge, because red always wins - haha)! Your pledge means the world to us and once the campaign has successfully ended, we would love to meet you to thank you personally and of course give you your goodies at the Sugar and Dice Board Game Café!
Still not convinced? Look up some of the research on board games and the benefits they provide. From beating stress and just having fun, it's a great way to get some quality time with loved ones. Playing board games also helps with memory and cognitive skills and they are even known to help your immune system, as the happiness from playing games and interacting with people can reduce depression and negativity whilst giving your brain some excellent stimulation. Less time in front of a TV or smart phone will give your eyes a break and you will be exercising your brain by learning something new! Your strategies will have to be creative and cunning to win games and this in tandem will help you with problem-solving in your day-to-day lives. To sum it all up, board games are great and playing them will make you all happier people.
So… Please help us to reach our target and we will love you forever!
Vanessa, Jason and Rachel
If we fund, here are our plans:
- Our vision is you sitting in the café for a few hours at huge tables covered in board games, a local craft beer and two slices of cake each. We have sat and played games on so many different shapes and sizes of tables and now we know exactly what we want. We also need to make sure all the tables match up perfectly, so when they are pushed together for bigger groups the game boards lie flat. We want these to be big oak tables, however these are expensive so we need some help to upgrade from cheaper and smaller tables.
- New LED Lighting throughout – currently there are a variety of lights in the premises including halogen and box lights. We want to make it evenly lit and bright so you can see the board games even on a dark winter's night.
- Buy a commercial dishwasher – otherwise we will be in the kitchen washing up all day and not teaching you all of our amazing games!
- Install better quality heating to keep you all toasty warm.
- Put in USB charging points for your mobiles so you can charge your phones (obviously we hope you'll be far too busy playing games to even check your phone…)
- Have an entire fridge dedicated just to drinks, so you can see exactly what we have and they will be perfectly chilled for you. One day soon we hope local craft beers will be in there too :)
- Install an oven even Mary Berry would be jealous of!
- Have a whole shelf of board game related lovely things to purchase from day one!
- Get groovy orange chairs to match our logo!
- Get the cutest sign for over the door so you know you are at Sugar and Dice.
- Apply for an alcohol licence immediately – we've been to taste so many locally brewed beers and we want you to be able to enjoy these as much as we do!
- Include a potato oven to keep your jacket potatoes nice and warm and ready to eat!
- Instead of having normal shelving along the wall, we want to embrace the KALLAX IKEA box shelves – the whole board gaming world dribbles over these and we would love to show off our collection in these fabulous shelves.
Risks and challenges
Our main risk is possible delays in fitting out the café to the high standard we expect. However we are working with a decorator and a construction company that came highly recommended and all the kitchen equipment and furnishings have been sourced and are ready to be ordered for when the Kickstarter funds successfully.
All three of us love a challenge and we will keep you updated regularly on the latest news and information.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (12 days)