This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Wed, November 7 2018 8:50 PM UTC +00:00.
What is Strange Horizons?
Strange Horizons is a weekly online magazine of and about speculative fiction—science fiction, fantasy, horror, slipstream, and all other flavors of imaginative fiction—and related non-fiction. Since September 2000, we have been publishing new issues every Monday, including fiction, poetry, reviews, essays, and interviews. In 2017, we published almost 1,000,000 words over 51 issues, all paid to our contributors, and all paid for by you, our supporters.
We're entirely funded by voluntary contributions. We pay all our contributors fair market rates for their work, but our (frankly enormous) volunteer editorial team does it out of love.
Why support Strange Horizons?
Because we believe that in the twenty-first century, speculative fiction must be an open, global tradition. For over fifteen years, we have showcased work that challenges us and delights us, by new and established writers from diverse backgrounds and with diverse concerns.
Because we have a record of finding and supporting exciting new voices in SF: writers who got their start in Strange Horizons include N. K. Jemisin ("The You Train," from 2007), Justine Larbalestier ("The Cruel Brother," from 2001), Ken Liu ("The Algorithms for Love," from 2004), Nnedi Okorafor ("The Palm Tree Bandit," from 2000), John Scalzi ("Alien Animal Encounters," from 2001) and, in more recent years, G. V. Anderson ("Das Steingeschöpf", from 2016).
Because we're a multiple Hugo-shortlisted magazine (for six consecutive years!) and we've published stories that have been shortlisted for or won Hugo, Nebula, James Tiptree Jr., Theodore Sturgeon, and World Fantasy Awards.
What We Need
What we need to raise:
- We need $13,000 to fund the basic running costs of the magazine for 1 year
- At $14,500 we'll run a special issue packed with international SFF
- At $16,000 we'll run a special issue focused on web comics
- At $21,000 we'll be able to 🎉 pay our staff 🎉for the first time in our history
- If we hit $23,000 we'll unlock the first stretch goal
- And at $25,000 we'll unlock the second secret goal!
What You Get
What do you get out of this?
- If you donate $25 you get access to all of 2018's Strange Horizons ebooks
- If you donate $40 you get the above and digital wallpaper of our 2018 artwork for your computer/phone/device.
- If you donate $50 you get the above and a mug, t-shirt or tote bag branded with the Strange Horizons logo
- If you donate $75 you don't have to choose! You get a mug, t-shirt and tote, as well as all lower tier rewards.
- If you donate $100 you get all lower tier rewards and a set of art postcards, featuring all of the art from this year.
- If you donate $150 you get one of our special limited edition Strange Horizons lapel pins and all the $75 rewards.
More than that, for each funding milestone that we reach, we'll publish more bonus content for you to enjoy:
- $3,000 – bonus fiction by Margaret Killjoy
- $5,000 – bonus article by Darcie Little Badger
- $7,000 – 2 bonus poems by Mary Soon Lee
- $9,000 – bonus review by Erin Horáková
- $11,000 – bonus fiction by Natalia Theodoridou
- $13,000 – SH is fully funded! E-books for all donors!
Other Ways You Can Help
Tweet about the fund drive! Tell everyone you know what you love about Strange Horizons and why we're worth supporting.
Ask people to read the magazine!
Risks and challenges
If we fail to fully fund the full amount of our yearly costs, and/or stretch goals for special issues we will seek alternative grant funding where appropriate.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter