Jack is an upper class young man of Arkham, who's recently befallen significant money problems. When he is curiously invited to the mysterious town of Innsmouth by his estranged father, he journeys off into the unknown, confident that his father's history as a jewel trader will help him get his life back on track financially. An impending cult festival, strange violent locals and a weird rumble from the ocean are just the start of the tests Jack is put through to find what he has always been searching for.
STRANGE AEONS is a re-imagining of Lovecraft's tale of terror The Shadow Over Innsmouth brought to life with an emphasis on character-driven narrative. This approach is used to help explore Lovecraft's themes of loss of identity and the insignificance of the human race in the cosmos.
STRANGE AEONS is a three-episode web series that will be publicly released on YouTube in December 2015. If you can't wait until December 2015, contribute over $50 to download a digital copy in December 2014.
THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH
Written in 1931, The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft was published in 1936 and is available online for free. Check it out if you haven't already!
WHY WE'RE MAKING STRANGE AEONS
We are Lovecraft fans and we want to create a disturbing, character-driven visual experience out of The Shadow Over Innsmouth. And as hardworking and aspiring film-makers, we want to create a web series to show the world what we can do.
UPDATE #4: (6/9/14): WE DID IT - Thank you and thank Cthulhu!
We did it... Words cannot express how grateful we are for each and every amazing backer's support and generosity. Thank you for believing in us and believing in Strange Aeons. Nothing can stop us now!
Let's stretch our budget to $ 5 , 0 0 0 and raise the production value even MORE. Let's make this an even more disturbing, thrilling horror web series... We still have many perks and packages left for the taking. Keep sharing; keep pledging!
UPDATE #3 (5/23/14): HAPPY $2,500!!!
We cannot thank you enough for the amazing support we have been receiving. Every day, we receive comments and emails that make us feel so grateful. You are all enthusiastic about Strange Aeons as much as the crew is, and that makes this project even more exciting!
As promised, to celebrate our happy $2,500, I have posted some information about our shooting location. Click our UPDATES tab!
UPDATE #2 (5/22/14): HAPPY $1,250!!
WOW! It has only been 3 days since our Kickstarter launch and a generous backer has already claimed the CTHULHU package: 'Executive Producer' pledge. We are absolutely overwhelmed by the support we are receiving from all over the world. Today, I woke up to a message from a supporter in France! Nothing can stop us now.
UPDATE #1 (5/20/14): HAPPY $500!
S.T. Joshi, a leading scholar in the study of H. P. Lovecraft, told us that he's also very interested in seeing the final web series!
The stars are all aligning... As promised, here are some concept art created by our three talented costume designers:
Above sketch of Jack in a *Miskatonic University jacket created by Lucy Marshall
WE NEED YOUR HELP:
Unfortunately, due to Kickstarter's rules, if we don't reach our $4,000 goal, we get nothing. So we really appreciate any support we can get!
4 WAYS YOU CAN HELP
1. Become a backer. Even a dollar will help us bring this project to life!
2. Tell your Lovecraft friends about this project… 'Hey, have you heard about Strange Aeons the web series?' Share a link to this page on your favorite forums. We want as many Lovecraft fans to get involved!
3. If you're an artist, send us your Lovecraft artwork that we could potentially feature in the web series! As filmmakers aspiring to break into the industry, we want to help emerging artists.
Help us raise the production value of Strange Aeons:
With $5,999, we will be able to afford to create more disgusting Deep Ones. Our extremely talented SFX artist would be able to REALLY show you what she can do!
- With $7,999, we will be able to hire better shooting equipment. This means we can use better lenses and cameras and create a more pleasing visual experience for you!
- With $9,999, the Director and the Producer will fly over the equator, and go to the US to hopefully meet you at the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival!!
- UNLOCKED: At $500, you can unlock our concept art for costume designs.
- UNLOCKED: At $1,250, you can unlock (a preview of) our official shooting script of Episode 1.
- UNLOCKED: At $2,500, you can reveal secrets about our shooting locations.
- UNLOCKED: At $4,000, you can unlock our official YouTube channel where you'll be able to watch teasers, get to know us via live streaming Q&A session, on-set tours, behind-the-scenes footage and much more.
- DIGITAL COPY OF WEB SERIES
All backers who pledge over $50 can watch and download a digital copy of the web series, a year earlier than any other viewers. Download will be quick, reliable and easy via an exclusive file-sharing service. Keep in touch for more info.
- OFFICIAL CREW LANYARD
Become a part of our team! The Strange Aeons official crew lanyard are available in limited quantity. Pledge $400, $1,000 or $1,500 to get your very own. Below is the design:
5 x stunning production stills in jpeg format downloable via a file-sharing link.
Official Strange Aeons A2 Printed Key Art - COMING SOON!
POEMS & MESSAGES
Personalised or not (depending on the package), all poems & messages will be written by yours truly with lots of love. Handwritten ones will be airmailed to you!
Serenade thank you videos will be sung by the main cast (many from a musical theatre background) & crew (none from a musical theatre background).
$4,000 is the absolute minimum budget we need to bring this project to life. With a shooting period of 2 weeks and 20 hardworking cast + crew members to feed, $4,000 is a more than reasonable budget to create a web series.
HOW YOUR FUNDS WILL HELP US
- $800: Transporation - Fuel & Parking
- $1,000: Special Effects Make Up
- $500: Art Department
- $500: Food / Beverages for Cast & Crew
- $700: Wardrobe
- $400: Kickstarter Fee (5%) and Processing Fee (5%)
- $100: Production Office / Film Festival Distribution
Of course, with more $, we will be able to create more realistic special effects, feed more cast and extras, obtain better equipment and make a better web series for everyone to enjoy.
We want to be upfront with you as much as possible, so if you have any questions regarding the budget, you can always email the Producer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- April - May 2014: Preproduction planning
- June - July 2014: Production and shooting
- July - November 2014: Postproduction editing
- December 2014: Complete Web Series (Digital copy sent out to backers!)
- January - November, 2015: Festival circuit
- December 2015: Public YouTube release
Part of the fun is creating our 'Innsmouth' and we have found the perfect locations to bring Lovecraft's fictional decaying fishing town to life.
Writer & Director | James Latter
James has spent the last few years honing his film making skills in freelance music videos, commercials, corporate videos, short films and documentaries. He has recently shot a documentary in rural Queensland and directed a punk/hardcore music video shot in Melbourne.
Producer | Yuri Higashino
Born and raised in Tokyo, Yuri Higashino is a content producer based in Brisbane, Australia. She has produced a wide range of creative projects including short films and music videos. Her interest expands to the new media platform and transmedia storytelling.
>> Subscribe to our YouTube Channel - COMING SOON!
YouTube Channel can be unlocked if we reach our $4,000 target. For YouTube Livestream Sessions, Teasers, Behind-the-scenes, On-set Virtual Tours, etc.
Continued UPDATE #2: ****Spoiler alert****
Script Preview for Episode 1
Script preview period has ended!
Risks and challenges
As a low-budget production, we cannot afford to pay most of our crews. This may cause unforeseeable production delays, which can in turn set off a chain of other problems.
Our above the line crew have spent weeks and months planning ahead to make sure everything runs smoothly. In the event of delays we have back up B, C, even D plans to ensure everything comes together in a co-ordinated manner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)