Hey friends! The musical production of our new album, "Friend Music," is finished, and we're now in the physical production stage, where we finally get to share this album with the world!
We are asking for your pledges to help us complete the final stages of this album for an official release in August of 2019!
For starters, we hope you'll enjoy our "Project Video" at the top of the page. We chose to share this as a "making of" video because it features a collection of VHS footage from our time recording at the Casa de Warrenton Studio, scored by the closing track of the album, "Our Friends."
"Friend Music" is our biggest, and we believe, our best work to date! We'd like to match the love and effort we put in to this record with the quality of its delivery to you! We want to provide not only great packaging, but also the best buying/sharing/listening experience possible. Putting this plan into action has come at the highest cost of any VHS production to date, which brings us here today. We need your help. In return, we are hoping to create unique exchanges and experiences with you, our supporters, fans, and friends and we are offering several different combinations of new materials and special experiences that align with the "Friend" theme of this record.
You can hear our second single, Shining Light" to celebrate our kickstarter announcement "here:
Pledge Rewards Include:
- "One Word Polaroid Project" - Supporters provide the band with one word and we return to them a personalized Polaroid that we feel is inspired by the given word. #onewordpolaroidproject
- Digital and Physical copies of "Friend Music"
- Full Straight to VHS Past Digital Discography
- Lyric Book - An exact mini replica of Straight to VHS's entire collection of lyrics, notes and arrangements for "Friend Music"
- "We Play Because We Can" 11" x 17" Poster
- Kickstarter Supporter Exclusive "See You On the Astral Plane" T-Shirt
- Tote Bag *New Design
- Custom VHS Tape Art Piece
- 3 vs. 3 Basketball Tournament versus Straight to VHS
- Straight to VHS treats you to a home cooked meal
- Straight to VHS takes you out to the movies
- Private Live Stream Straight to VHS Webcast Performance
- Hang and jam with Straight to VHS at their rehearsal space
- Private two-hour full band live Straight to VHS performance
Donating to this campaign contributes directly to:
- Paying off studio costs
- Physical Production of CD's and packaging materials
- Digital Distribution, Licensing and Copyrights
- T-shirts, Tote Bags, Koozies, Stickers and more *All New Designs*
- Mailing costs for college radio airplay campaign
And now a bit about the record...
In the Winter of 2018, Straight to VHS hunkered down during a classic New England blizzard and got to work on their newest collection of songs. The recording process unfolded over four days at “Casa De Warrenton,” the home studio of engineer/producer/friend extraordinaire, Floyd Kellogg (Violent Mae, You Scream I Scream). Here, the band ate, slept, and breathed music, starting each day bright and early and raging through the night in to the wee hours of the morning. They entertained a myriad of talented guests, whose collaborations helped to birth an eclectic new record.
“Friend Music” is the band’s most ambitious record to date, not only in the sheer number of songs, but also in the diversity of musical stylings and instrumentation. With the help of guest vocalists, guitarists, violin and piano, Straight to VHS weaves a tapestry of mournful love songs, acoustic sing-alongs, country-twinged blues, and experimental jams while still leaving room for some good ol’ rock n’ roll.
Initially conceived as a musical love letter, “Friend Music” evolved into a deeper exploration of the human spirit and reaffirmed to Straight to VHS the power of friendship as a universal bond that brings us all together.
"Friend Music" Kickstarter Key:
- "One Word Polaroid Project" = With your pledge, you are invited to provide us with ONE WORD, any word, and in return we will mail to you a personalized Polaroid that we feel is inspired by the given word. We'd like to expand this project with a second phase, that would again involve all of you, that we will announce once the initial phase is under way....stay tuned. #onewordpolaroidproject
- "Full Digital Discography" = Full album digital downloads from all of our past discography, "Self Titled", "Rewinder", "Weekend Weekend Weekend", and "LandMind") *"Friend Music" not included.
- "Lyric Book" = An exact mini replica of Straight to VHS's entire collection of lyrics, notes and arrangements for "Friend Music"
- *Add-on to your pledge* = Want a t-shirt, TOTE bag, or a signed "We Play Because We Can" poster? Add $10 to any pledge and tell us which item you'd like in the Kickstarter Message service or by email at STRAIGHT2VHS@GMAIL.COM
You can hear our first single release "Money Mountain" here:
Want to mix and match rewards or add to your pledge? Any questions or just want to reach out to the band to say hi?
Use the Kickstarter message service, or email us directly at STRAIGHT2VHS@GMAIL.COM
If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to check out our kickstarter campaign and thank you for your continuous support. We've really enjoyed putting this together and we hope you will be a part of our "Friend Music" experience.
FINAL DAY FOR PLEDGES IS SUNDAY JUNE 16TH!! (FATHER'S DAY!)
[o=o] STRAIGHT TO VHS (JON, JAY, TIM) [o=o]
Risks and challenges
Some risks and challenges that we are aware of include the fact that we are still indebted to the studio, engineering, and mastering costs involved in the recording phase of the record as well as the upcoming physical manufacturing costs. We have a DIY mindset with our merchandise which includes us doing our own screen printing, drawing, graphic artwork, cutting, folding, taping, mailing and all the other joys involved with us directly providing fans with content and materials. With this approach comes the burden of budgeting the time and schedules of the three members who also have full time jobs outside of the band. We're constantly improving this process in the hopes that with successful campaigns like this kickstarter we will have opportunities to focus more time and energy into our creative endeavors. Isn't that the dream?Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)