Drupal 8 is just around the corner, and the Drupal community is excited!
We want to make sure that as many people as possible can use Drupal 8.
However, many new Drupal 8 users will need training, which can be expensive and difficult to find.
The goal of this Kickstarter is to give everyone free access to the very best Drupal 8 training.
We plan to create Drupal 8 training and give it away for free!
What Drupal 8 training will we create?
The initial goal for the project is to raise $10,000. That will allow us to create 50 introductory videos for Drupal 8.
These will be given away completely free to the community.
We'll put the videos on YouTube and make the files available for anyone to download.
Hopefully, by making the video files available for download, the training will be translated into other languages, helping Drupal 8 reach the widest possible audience.
Here are the videos we plan to create:
Part 1: Introduction
- Introduction to Drupal
- The History of Drupal
- Why Choose Drupal?
- What You Need Before You Start
Part 2: Install
- Installation on a Mac
- Installation on a PC
- Manual Installation on a Server
- Automatic Installation at a Web Host
Part 3: Navigate
- Navigating A Fresh Installation of Drupal
- Updating the Basic Site Information
Part 4: Content
- Introduction to Content Types
- Creating an Article
- Creating a Basic Page
- Using CKEditor Front-end Editing
Part 5: Fields
- Creating a New Content Type
- Creating Another Content Type
- Adding Basic Fields
- Adding More Advanced Fields
Part 6: More Advanced Content
- Introduction to Taxonomy
- Managing The Display of Fields
- View Modes
Part 7: Views
- A Page with Teasers
- A Simple Block View
- Jump Menu
- Table with Fields
- A Photo Gallery
Part 8: Modules
- The Forum Module
- The Book Module
- The Contact Module
- The Telephone Module
Part 9: Find and Install New Modules
- Navigating Drupal.org and Evaluating Modules
- The Webform Module
- The Site Map Module
- The Five Star Module
Part 10: Design
- Introduction to Themes
- Menu Management
Part 11: Find and Install New Themes
- Navigating Drupal.org and Evaluating Modules
- Installing a Basic Theme
- Installing a Theme Framework such as Adaptive Theme
Part 12: People
- People Management
- The Masquerade Module
- Reports and Help Menu
Part 13: Site Management
- Updating Drupal
- Updating Drupal Modules and Themes
- Creating a Drupal Backup
Part 14: Going Further
- Exploring Drupal.org Resources
- The Drupal Association
- Getting Involved in the Drupal Community
There may be some small changes to the syllabus. In particular, the contrib modules and themes featured in the class will depend on what’s available.
What happens if the $10,000 goal is reached?
If we pass the initial goal, we'll create another bundle of 50 videos every time we raise an additional $5,000.
These extra videos will also be given away free!
Extra Videos #1. The Intermediate Bundle (taken by Glowhost.com)
- Site management, security backups, updates (10 videos)
- Drupal Intermediate class (30 videos)
- An example site building class (10 videos)
Extra Videos #2. The Theming Bundle
- Introduction to Twig (10 videos)
- Creating a Drupal 8 theme (40 videos)
Extra Videos #3. The Module Bundle
- Introduction to Symfony (10 videos)
- Creating a Drupal 8 module (40 videos)
Extra Videos #4. The Development Bundle
- Drupal 8 web services (20 videos)
- Configuration management (20 videos)
- Introduction to Composer (10 videos)
Extra Videos #5. The Upgrading Bundle (taken by CommercialProgression.com)
- Upgrading a site from Drupal 7 to 8 (20 videos)
- Upgrading a module from Drupal 7 to 8 (15 videos)
- Upgrading a theme from Drupal 7 to 8 (15 videos)
Get the Drupal Magic t-shirt!
Support the Kickstarter and get a Drupal magic t-shirt (shipping and handling may apply for non-US customers).
Can you trust OSTraining to make these videos?
We’ve been teaching Drupal for more than 8 years and have taught thousands of students how to use Drupal to accomplish their goals.
We have a wide-ranging Drupal 7 online curriculum, wrote the most popular Drupal book and have been chosen to teach at DrupalCons in Chicago, Denver, Portland, London, Prague, Amsterdam and Los Angeles.
Here at OSTraining, what we’re most passionate about is teaching so clearly that anyone can understand, even absolute beginners. Our Drupal training is structured, practical, and uses no technical jargon. We teach using plain English.
You can see some of previous Drupal videos below:
Why do we need your help?
Creating so many videos is a big undertaking. We’re going to need to hire another trainer, plus use many of our current resources. Drupal is such a large topic to teach that we're still busy adding Drupal 7 videos!
Risks and challenges
There are risks involved with the delivery of Drupal 8 and with the video classes. The release date of Drupal 8 is unknown yet, although it is expected in 2015 or early 2016. We also have risks involved with the delivery of the videos. Creating training videos is a difficult process and we need to make sure we have high-quality teachers and editors available.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)