Hudson & Brand: Shadows of the Past presents a trio of linked scenarios, set in Victorian London, where players of the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game (published by Chaosium, Inc), must thwart an ancient cult that seeks vengeance against the Empire for its activities in Africa. While this anthology collection builds upon the setting established in Hudson & Brand: Inquiry Agents of the Obscure, it stands on its own and the first book is not needed for these scenarios to be enjoyed.
The 150-page, main book will contain three scenarios, scenario seeds based on the events and NPCs introduced in each scenario, and their impact on the historical record. All Maps, Handouts, and NPCs will be included in appendices in the book/PDF for easy reference and printing. Ten Pre-Generated Player Characters will also be included in an appendix.
Taking inspirational cues from Sherlock Holmes, Ripper Street, Auguste Dupin, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, and The Incendiary's Trail,the book takes a mature look at the horror of Mythos machinations and the many dark corners in the seat of empire.
Funds for this Kickstarter will go towards commissioning more art and the hiring of more writers and creatives of quality to expand the book. The funds will also go towards printing and distribution.
Call of Cthulhu is the Registered Trademark of Chaosium Inc., and is used with their permission. www.chaosium.com
- PDF Only: Back at The Leopard Society to receive the Main Book (No Stretch Goals) in full-colour PDF only. (No Physical Add-Ons Possible.)
- PDF & Stretch Goals: Back at The Tcho-Tcho Connection to receive the Main Book and all Unlocked Stretch Goals as full-colour PDFs. (No Physical Add-Ons Possible.)
- Softcover, Full-Colour Standard Heavyweight: Back at the London Library Subscription. This version is a softcover copy of the main book, printed in full-colour on standard heavyweight paper. PDF copies of the Main Book and All Unlocked Stretch Goals are included. Physical Add-ons are allowed.
- Hardcover, Full-Colour Standard Heavyweight: This version can be obtained with by backing at The Bodleian Library Reader's Ticket level. This is a hardcover copy of the main book, printed in full-colour on standard heavyweight paper. PDF copies of the Main Book and All Unlocked Stretch Goals are included. Physical Add-ons are allowed.
- The Shaman Edition - Limited Edition Hardcover, Full-Colour Premium: Back at the British Museum Library Reader's Ticket or higher (one of the three online game tiers, or the in-person game tier). This version is a hardcover copy of the main book, with a special edition cover, printed in full-colour on premium paper. You can also provide an Investigator Name and Occupation for inclusion in the back of the book (vulgar or indecent names won't be included, at the Editor's discrection). Names and occupations may also be co-opted for use in the scenarios, at the authors' discretion (let us know if you expressly don't want this and be forewarned that they may die horrible deaths or end up incurably insane). PDF copies of the Main Book and All Unlocked Stretch Goals are included. Physical Add-ons are allowed. This version of the book will not be available for purchase after the Kickstarter.
All of the scenarios are written so that they may be played as standalone scenarios, but they were designed to be run together, as one cohesive campaign. They are:
- "Living, Dead, and Yet to be Born" - A couple of large steamer trunks belonging to the just-deceased Second Lieutenant Charles ‘Charlie’ Townsend arrive at 33 Golden Square for Captain ‘Harry’ Hudson. Markham, the Investigators’ newly acquired Butler, directs the two labourers as to where to put the items, some of which already match the late Captain Hudson’s decorating tastes. A month or two passes and then the first attempt against the Investigators’ lives is made, by the Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum orderly who arranged for the H. J. Cave and Sons trunks to be shipped to 33 Golden Square. After his death, strange, poltergeist-like occurrences begin to happen at the maisonette. A short time later, a second deadly attack, this time by one of the labourers who moved everything in, is made against the Investigators. And things only escalate from there...
- "Making a Lasting Peace" - The second scenario, Investigators travel to the Ashanti Empire. Starting out in the coastal British Trading Forts, they'll discover that things from the past are best left buried. From there, they'll journey into the heart of the Ashanti Empire and seek out a city lost a millenia ago if they're to have any hope of a lasting peace.
- "Orphans of Antiquity" - The final scenario in the trilogy sees the resurgence of the cult with powerful new allies from within the government itself, and it threatens to topple the world-wide supremacy of the British Empire. Shifting alliances and a thin veneer of noble civility will leave Investigators increasingly on their own in a dangerous race to prevent the awakening of a Great Old One that threatens all of humanity.
Stretch Goal Scenarios
- UNLOCKED! "The Colonel's Due" - Adding tension to the events in "Making a Lasting Peace" military offices are turning up dead in the British coastal forts. Can diplomatic ties be restored if the murders are solved, regardless of who is responsible?
- LOCKED "The Cost of Empire" - Set in Ashanti 10 years after the events in "Living, Dead, and Yet to be Born," this scenario brings the Investigators face-to-face with the consequences of their actions.
- UNLOCKED! "The Devil's Castle" - by Chad Bowser
To purchase any add-ons, you must back at a Physical Reward Level or Higher (London Library Subscription+). Increase your pledge amount based on the below items that you want to receive also. Once the Kickstarter ends, a Backer Survery will be sent out asking you to verify your pledge and what you would like.
- £25 - Extra Softcover Copy
- £35 - Extra Standard Hardcover Copy
- £35 - Extra Premium Hardcover Copy
- £10 - Softcover Copy of Edifices of Empire
- LOCKED £10 - Softcover Copy of The Sun Never Sets
For those interested in Purchasing Hudson & Brand: Inquiry Agents of the Obscure, PDF and Print copies are available at DriveThruRPG(don't forget to pickup A Lens of Darkness, The Spirits of London, or The Thirteen).
- Unlocked! £7,000 - Edifices of Empire: A full-colour companion PDF, 5"x8.5", with write-ups of 15-20 Historic Locations and game mechanics/ideas for how to use them. Edifices of Empire will be free to all backers at the £15 reward levels and higher. It will be available for purchase from Drive-Thru RPG after the Kickstarter Rewards are delivered.
- Unlocked! £8,000 - Guillaume Tavernier for Maps in the Main Book.
- Unlocked! £8,500 - New NPCs for Edifices of Empire (a mix of Historic Characters or Characters based at the Historic Locations that will be written up). At least one NPC will be included at each location.
- Unlocked! £9,000 - "The Colonel's Due," Sidequest by Danial Carroll, for "Making a Lasting Peace"
- Unlocked! £10,000 - Edifices of Empire as a Full-Colour, Print-on-Demand, Standard Heavyweight Softcover Add-On. (Add £10 to your Pledge if Interested in a physical copy, once Unlocked.)
- Unlocked! £10,500 - Full-Colour Maps of select Historic Locations in Edifices of Empire. Locations entries with maps will be 4 pages long.
- Unlocked! £11,000 - More Art by Jon Gibbons.
- Unlocked! £12,000 - More cents per word for the Authors.
- Unlocked! £12,500 - Scenario Seeds added for all of the Historic Locations in Edifices of Empire.
- Unlocked! £14,000 - Ten Pre-Generated Characters will be Included in the Hudson & Brand: Shadows of the Past
- Unlocked! £14,500 - A Scenario by Chad Bowser, set in the remote sultanate of Zanzibar, will be included in the the Main Book.
- Unlocked! £15,000 - "The Cost of Empire" is an epilogue-scenario, set in Ashanti, 10 years after the events of the first scenario.
- Unlocked! £20,000 Brian M. Sammons ('Forget Me Not', 'Secrets') will pen a 20,000 word scenario called 'The Knight of Swords'.
- £25,000 - The Sun Never Sets will be a full-colour companion PDF, 5"x8.5", detailing the state of the Empire and its colonies and protectorates in 1890. It will include brief histories of each, as well as soon-to-happen future events and when the country gains its independence from the British Crown. (Add £10 to your Pledge if Interested in a physical copy, once Unlocked.)
With our team, we believe we can get your book to you in a timely fashion. The first scenario, "Living, Dead, and Yet to be Born," is 100% written, with the second and third underway. Hudson & Brand: Shadows of the Past will be released in PDF and also Print-On-Demand (POD). A code will be given to backers so they can download the PDF and Stygian Fox will arrange to have a physical copy mailed to them via RPG Now and DrivethruRPG (backers are responsible for any import duties in their own territory). Shipping is extra.
- Chitin Proctor (Writer) – doesn't like to talk about himself (or about anything else, really).
- William Adcock (Writer) – William Adcock is a student of history and brings a fresh perspective to cosmic horror.
- Chad Bowser (Writer) - Chad Bowser might be remembered as the co-author of Cthulhu Invictus and Cthulhu Dark Ages 2e, writer for Victoriana, and creator of the fun-in-the sun Cold Harvest.
- Danial Carroll (Writer) - a creative who is always looking for new ways to expose his imagination to the world. Not content with simply drawing, painting, and 3D modelling, he has recently added scenario-writing to his portfolio.
- Badger McInnes (Layout Designer) – Badger is Art Director at Stygian Fox, and has been responsible for the book design and layout for the majority of our books. His work has also corrupted the pages of releases from Miskatonic River Press, Chaosium, Pagan Publishing, and others.
- Dean Engelhardt (Play Aids) - Taking games and books to a level of immersion seldom seen, Dean's creative history includes The Things We Leave Behind, Fear's Sharp Little Needles, Convicts & Cthulhu, the Call of Cthulhu Start Set, and the legendary Horror On The Orient Express.
- Vladimir Manyukhin (Illustrator) - A digital artist often working in the video gaming market, he has provided some of the most iconic images in this book including the Standard cover.
- Jon Gibbons (Illustrator) – a self-taught, UK based Freelance Illustrator who specializes in concept art and illustration for the RPG and boardgame industries.
- George C. Cotronis (Cover Artist/Illustrator) – George Cotronis lives in the wilderness of Northern Sweden. He makes a living designing book covers. He sometimes writes. His stories have appeared in ‘XIII’, ‘Big Pulp’ and ‘Vignettes from the End of the World’.
- Guillaume Tavernier (Cartographer) – An amazing artist, Guillaume is currently enjoying praise from his private releases such as La Seigneurie de Borth and Tahala. He also drew the maps for the first book in this series.
- Stephanie McAlea (Boss) - cartographer on ‘Horror on the Orient Express’, ‘2300AD’, ‘Call of Cthulhu 7th edition’, and ‘Cthulhu by Gaslight’ and owner of Stygian Fox.
Risks and challenges
While delays can happen, our new project director Chitin Proctor has shown to be adept at organisation and planning. We will communicate any delays but as much of the book is complete and the window for production is long, we think we can deliver promptly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)