About this project
Ahoy Matey! Ever wanted to learn electronics, but don't know where to start? You're not alone!
Why did we start Pirates Electronics?
There are plenty of websites and learner kits out there for electronics, but none of them seems to get the fundamental rights: learning electronics! It's either too focused on the theory with a lot of mathematic principles (boooo!), or just gets you to build cool projects without any explanations on how they work (good luck building anything on your own after that...).
At Pirates Electronics, we had the same frustrations and decided to take the matter into our own hands.
And we looked elsewhere for inspiration: we are big fans of Codecademy and its simplicity for learning coding skills. You just log in, follow a bunch of tutorials and... get started applying your freshly learnt knowledge one step at a time, testing and experimenting along the way.
And we simply wondered: what if there was a "Codecademy for Electronics", a simple, web-based, step-by-step way to learn electronics?
And Pirates Electronics was born.
What is Pirates Electronics about?
We focus on making learning electronics easy and fun. As simple as that.
But rather than just claiming it, let us show you what we do:
- Our biggest concern is simplicity, and everything that we do must reflect it. From a simple design that focuses on content and keeps away from distractions (don't you hate websites covered with ads?), to easy step-by-step learning (wire by wire, literally!) that explains you exactly what is happening on your breadboard (not just "the LED is flashing, good job!").
- Our hands-on approach focuses on playing with electronic components and experimenting. Not every answer can be found in a textbook. To progress to the next step, not only will you have to apply what you've learnt, but also test out ideas on your own!
So what's in for me?
If you've always wanted to learn electronics, but never quite managed to get your head around it, you are in the right place!
- Website: with Pirates Electronics, you will access the greatest electronics learning resource for beginners of the entire internet. We make the learning process easy and fun, so you can later on experiment and build circuits on your own like a pro. With our step-by-step instructions, clear circuit diagrams, simple explanations at every stage of the circuits constructions, and interactive quizzes to keep you on your toes, Pirates Electronics will become your new favourite website.
- Pirates Electronics Kit: learning electronics can only be done by experimenting with real hardware. We designed the perfect Pirates Electronics Kit to help you navigate through the lessons. Each kit contains all the components you need to go through the lessons. Don't waste your time driving to your local shop, sorting out what component you need for the next lesson and paying full price: all you need is in one little box at bulk price delivered to your door!
Our Pirates Electronics Kit typically contains the following:
- Battery + wires
- Thin speaker
- Mini-power switch
- 555 Timer Chip
Disclaimer: while we are still designing lessons, some components might change slightly. However, the value delivered will always be identical or higher. That's our promise.
When will I receive my Pirates Electronics Kit?
We are working toward a six month schedule (delivery date: September 2015). See below our Planning Breakdown.
Why do you need my help?
Pirates Electronics is a big challenge, there is plenty to do before we can get fully operational:
- Finish designing and testing lessons
- Create a user-friendly and interactive website that can handle thousands of students at the same time
- Negotiate with vendors to lower prices of components
- Ship all kits across the world
- Develop a community through our "Comments" section, where students can ask questions and help each other
All these requirements go beyond the scope of a simple weekend job. By funding us, you will help make our vision turn into a reality, and turn you into an electronics superstar along the way.
And that's exciting.
Who is this for?
If you are curious about electronics, learning electronics at an Academic level, a simple hobbyist or a confirmed maker wanting to brush up your skills, Pirates Electronics is the perfect place to start.
One last word...
We are a team of hustlers, ready to take over the world with a wave of enthusiasts in electronics. All our (evil?) plans to sail to sea and teach the world electronics would not be possible without you. Thanks to all of you that will support our journey.
Risks and challenges
We are working hard towards a challenging goal - Teaching electronics to the world! - and we know that it doesn't come without any risks.
Designing - and testing - our lessons, setting up the website, gathering all components from our various vendors and shipping it all across the world are our main challenges. However, we are confident we can pull it out by September 2015, and overcome any difficulty we may face. We have the team, the skills and the drive to make this project happening.
We believe in honest communication, and are committed to keeping you informed of our progress in the months following the campaign. No bullshit whatsoever. We are always just an email (or Kickstarter comment) away, and will answer any question or concern within 48 hours.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)