3D printers are fantastic things! Producing some great looking parts straight off the printer. However, if you actually own a desktop 3D printer you will know that this isn't always the case and all kinds of printing errors can creep in. Removing support material can sometimes be a pain and what if you need to modify the part after printing? You won't want to print the whole thing again if it can be avoided!... This is where the MODIFI3D Finishing Tool steps in. MODIFI3D offers a low cost solution to Finish, Repair and Modify 3D printed parts.
MODIFI3D is a heated tool with interchangeable tips designed to finish, repair and modify 3D printed parts. MODIFI3D Is designed to replace much of the sanding, scraping and snapping to finish off your 3D prints.
The pen like form of MODIFI3D makes it very comfortable to use and extremely easy to control when precision is important. MODIFI3D works with PLA, ABS, Nylon and other 3D printing materials.
- 4 interchangeable tips - needle, knife, scoop and point tips (full details below).
- Simple and easy to use.
- Lightweight and compact at around the size of a pen and equally as portable.
- Rapid heat up in less than 15 seconds.
- Fast cool down in less than 30 seconds.
- Touch switch and indicator light.
- Based on an existing proven product - NOT over engineered or complex so hence low cost.
- USB powered - just plug into a computer or other USB socket. Can also be used with a USB wall adaptor (not included).
- Basic stand included + downloadable 3D file to print your own stand/tool holder.
- The ideal companion for your 3D printer.
Finishing 3D prints should be easy and never a chore. Simply plug in the USB and in less than 15 seconds you are ready to go. You will be able to remove any unwanted material or modify your print without having to redesign and print again!
Want to make a cup of tea? Simply put MODIFI3D on its stand and in 25 seconds it will go into sleep mode (a basic stand is included but we will provide a downloadable 3D file so you can print your own stand/tool holder).
Step by step:
1. Remove the protective cap (if used) and place MODIFI3D on the included stand.
2. Plug in the USB. A red light indicates that MODIFI3D is switched on.
3. In less than 15 seconds MODIFI3D is ready for use.
4. If MODIFI3D is not used for 25 seconds it will go into sleep mode (light will go out and tip will cool down). To wake MODIFI3D just gently touch the switch and continue using.
Quick change tips:
1. If you want to change tips just unplug the USB and allow to cool (this should take around 30 seconds but always check)
2. Unscrew the existing tip, replace with the chosen tip and plug in the USB. Easy!
Interchangeable tips make it easy to choose the right tool for the job. If you want to remove a large section or blend a fine detail, theres a tip for the job.
It is possible that we may add further tips at a later date.
- 5V 8W
- Size: 15mm (0.6") x 117mm (4.6") excluding tips
- Weight: 20g (0.8 oz)
- Cable: 1.5m (59") long to USB A plug
- Heats up to 420-450ºC (788-842ºF) in less than 15 seconds
- Works with PLA, ABS, Nylon and other 3D printing plastics.
For just £15 ($23 / €21), you can have MODIFI3D and the first 300 movers can get MODIFI3D at £10 ($15 / €14) early bird prices.
- MULTIPLE MODIFI3D Finishing Tools - If you want more than one MODIFI3D Finishing Tool simply multiply your pledge by the number you would like to receive.
- ADDITIONAL SPARE TIP Pack - To add extra replacement/spare tips to your reward add £7 for each additional pack you would like to receive. Each tip pack includes extra Needle, Knife, Point and Scoop tips.
NOTE: You can edit your existing pledge by clicking the blue “Manage” button that appears next to your pledge amount.
If you know someone who owns a 3D printer please share our campaign by clicking on the "share this project" button at the top of this page.
Risks and challenges
We have over 30 years manufacturing and design experience. For this project we already have a working prototype and all tips have been fully tested on hundreds of 3D prints. Risk is significantly less than most projects as this tool is based on an existing proven heated product that is already CE marked. Hence we do not foresee any issues in production.
If any issues arise with manufacturing or shipping delays, we will communicate with you promptly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)