Use wits, combat and parkour to rebuild a divided world in this 2D action-adventure game.
Use wits, combat and parkour to rebuild a divided world in this 2D action-adventure game.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, October 11 2019 12:00 AM UTC +00:00.
Find Savior On Steam
We have a Savior steam page set up here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093810/Savior/
Savior is an open-world, action-adventure platformer, centered on rebuilding the divided planet of Arcadia. You'll be empowered to save the people you discover from problems like hunger, superstition, tyranny and destruction. As you help the Arcadians regain their lives and thrive, you'll earn experience, abilities, powerful tools and allies to aid you in your quest.
You play as Sam, a stranger with no possessions or memory. As you explore, you'll learn of your origin and place among the characters you encounter. Battle, evade and persuade your enemies to join you in rebuilding a broken world.
The Chosen people of Arcadia have lived under the brilliance of The Daystar for a thousand years. Appearing as a star that shines day and night; it is their guide, their law giver, their god. It delivered to them, The Holy Creed.
The Creed dictates all areas of Arcadian life, especially the punishment for doubting the Daystar, or challenging its law. All who stand opposed to The Creed are to be banished; dropped into the depths of the planet. They are returned to the darkness, where their doubt arose, so sayeth The Creed.
But The Fallen survived their banishment. They explored their new underground home and unlocked unimagined secrets. Their curiosity condemned them, but beyond The Creed it was their most powerful tool. With it, they built the free city of Bastion and thrived.
Savior begins at a turning point in the paths of The Chosen and The Fallen. A catastrophe has befallen the city of Bastion. Sam, as a mysterious outsider with hidden power, may be the only one who can save this lost world.
We wanted combat to feel as real and engaging as possible. To that end, every block, dodge and strike is clean and reactive. NPCs have attack patterns that you'll learn over time, so fights are quick as you come to anticipate your opponent's reactions.
- Strike 6-Directions - Strike up, high (standing), low (crouched), down (when airborne), or behind you high and low. Hit targets all around you with ease.
- Block - Auto-block most attacks with one button. Blocks will cost you ground and stamina. If you block exactly on the strike timing, you'll instantly counter-attack.
- Dodge - By crouching before a high strike or jumping just before a low strike you'll open up a window of vulnerability in your opponent. Strike fast for a guaranteed hit!
- Be Unconventional - When encountering an aggressor, you'll have options. Douse them with water, intimidate them with staff spins or impress them with epic dance moves!
Savior is an open-world game where you're free to cover the same ground multiple times. So we've made simple travel as fun as possible. We've added a flurry of movement enhancements to make running and jumping more thrilling and varied.
- Context-Sensitive Jumps - Jumps to walls, ledges, high targets, low targets, water, off cliffs etc. will get their own animations that flow together.
- Wall Jump - Special gear will let you cling to walls and climb ravines like a spider monkey that sweats crazy glue.
- Slide/Roll - Explore every crevice of Arcadia by learning to get small and round. Push down at a run and you'll slide through your opponents legs!
- Dash/Double Jump - Add a second boost to your jump or your run. Blast up or forward to reach new areas, just get around faster, or knock over foes.
You can win opponents to your cause with your words and actions. They'll remember encounters and build a positive or negative relationship with you. Over time you can convince them to abandon hostility and help you rebuild Arcadia.
- Complete Quests - Quest to gain favor, secrets, and powerful items. Plus you'll change your surroundings in lasting ways that will make your way forward easier.
- Choose Your Style - Talk people into joining your cause. Fight them until they relent. Or make their favorite meal or douse them in water. Get creative!
- Debate - Part of your arsenal will be solid arguments. Only some will respond to a good argument right away, but you can plant seeds of doubt that grow over time.
- Build Reputation - As you become known, NPCs will treat you differently. Get discounts at shops, help with quests and access to secret areas and equipment.
Characters of Arcadia
These are just some of the characters you may encounter as you explore. Some will greet you as a friend. Some will challenge you as a foe. With patience and craft you will be able to win them over to your cause.
Sam is your protagonist. You control her as she's thrust into a centuries old conflict. She has innate acrobatic skills, but no memory. She'll gain abilities and reputation as you explore Arcadia. The secrets of her origin await.
The Caretaker has been an advisor to The Seaborn for as long as anyone can remember. His insight is matched only by his love for his people. He will offer Sam guidance and assistance whenever he can.
The Red Witch is an enigmatic figure who has been seen in the wilds outside Seaborn Village. Her spectral form is said to aid the wounded and guide the lost. If you seek her out, she may help you in your quest.
Kane was trained from a child to be the Archbishop of Arcadia. His army, The Chosen, enforces the edicts of The Creed under his rule. His commitment to The Creed apparently knows no bounds.
Wisp is a fiercely intelligent Arcadian fox. He wandered into Seaborn Village and was adopted by the villagers. He knows the island's every nook and cranny and is a ferocious companion to anyone who can earn his trust.
- Steerable Dragon ($60k) - Currently the dragon is an automatic fast travel mechanic. With some extra work, we'd love to make him a mount that is steerable by the player. Fly low over hostiles and re-enact the end of Neverending Story!
- Switch Port ($70k) - Play Savior on the console line that inspired it! Nintendo's commitment to joyful, polished gameplay is what Savior and Starsoft are based on. It would be a life-long wish come true to see our game on a Nintendo system.
- Dancing Mini-Game ($75k) - Travel Arcadia learning dance moves from people of each city and village. String them together to impress your friends and foes. Diffuse conflict, break the ice, win dance offs!
About The Developer
Starsoft is a small group of passionate developers anchored in Portland, Oregon. Our mission is to make focused, satisfying games inspired by the wonderful NES and SNES titles we grew up with.
We want to capture the impact and joy of classic games, while adding depth and life to the in-game world. At least two of us are huge trekkies; so if we can incorporate provocative ethical questions, so much the better!
I've been making art for games for 25 years. 2D has always been my first love. I've wanted to make an action-adventure platformer since I first played Metroid when I was 10. I am so grateful to have a team willing to build it with me.
Sam is a seasoned programmer who has worked on a bunch of indie titles. He built Savior in LUA, and ported it to Unity. He's been guiding its progression throughout as well as contributing invaluable game-play design support.
Rob started as a game artist at Sierra over 20 years ago and has been working in animation and design ever since. On Savior he's been responsible for much of the concept art and general art consulting/improvement.
After championing indie games at Nintendo for 9 years; Dan now helps indie teams like us to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot, too much. He brings his enthusiasm for quality, compelling games. He's our resident 'fixer'.
Ben is a seasoned musical master. He has been able to decipher ever-changing, conflicting direction to produce a musical force that will make spines tingle. The trailer music and general shot order is all a product of his talent.
David is a world-class sound designer from the film industry. He's worked on films by David Fincher, Robert Zemeckis, Steven Spielberg and many others. On Savior, he's creating a realistic soundscape punctuated with 8-bit game-play bits.
Milo is a former English teacher and all around elite wordsmith. He has helped build the fabric of Savior, from character flavor to story points to quest design. He's the holder of much science fiction and fantasy wisdom.
Marlon moonlights on Savior when he's not running projects for the DoD. He's brought much needed management skills and a flare for game-play code. He’s helped get us pointed in the right direction.
Allyson is best known for her voice and motion/face performances in the Destiny series, including: Exo Stranger, Eris Morn, Amanda Holiday, Efrideet, Ikora Ray, Hawthorne and Petra Venj. We're thrilled that she is a part of the Savior team.
Jared is a Los Angeles-based voice actor. Recently he voiced Captain Talek in Star Trek Online and Krahij in the critically acclaimed monster hunting game Dauntless. He has brought a powerful determination to Kane. Also, he's a legit lover of Super Metroid.
Our Attempt To Show Gratitude - These rewards are meant to show our gratitude for your support and include you in the development of this game you've helped build. You all really are the most important part of the team.
- Project Updates ($5) - We'll be sending out regular project updates to all our backers, big and small. Backer-only info will include schedule specifics, progress reports, and sneak peaks at new work. We'll even poll our backers for help with design decisions.
- Your Name In The Credits ($5) - We'll celebrate all our backers in the end credits. Larger backers will get more prominence. Top backers will show up on monuments to their glory within the game.
- The Game ($15) - Get a copy of Savior on any platform you like, assuming we've ported to it. This may apply to physical copies as well, but we can't make any promises. The image below is just to pay homage to our inspiration, not a real box.
- Epic Wallpaper ($20) - Four 2048 x 1152 pixel-art images capturing cornerstone locations and characters from Savior. First is Bastion, the free city of The Fallen. Next is Sam, our protagonist. Then The Drop into The Rift. Lastly the villain of Savior.
- The Soundtrack ($25) - This will include all the songs in the game, plus some in-game dialogue and a special message from the developers. It will also include a digital CD cover and notes from the composer(s).
- The Digital Art Book ($35) - This PDF will be full of the concept art, production bits, old versions of the art and assorted scribbles from the making of Savior. We'll also talk about the trials, tips and thoughts we've picked up on the art creation process.
- The Demo ($50) - This will be roughly one third of the game. It will be a second demo for backers only. It will include a couple bosses, two dozen quests and the Western shore, the wilds and the highlands. Expect additional weapons and enemies, too.
- The First Public Playable Release ($75) - Made for backers only, this first chunk of Savior will let you explore the Western shore and wilds of Arcadia. One boss, several quests and a few early story points will be finished and revealed in this release.
- The Map ($100) - There are many secret areas in Arcadia. This 2048 x 1152 digital map will reveal every one. But it won't reveal secrets about the people or the story. Choose to use it at any point to guide you. Or hide it until you think you've found everything.
- Join Our Backer-Only Discord Channel ($250) - Get an extra daily dose of Savior throughout development. We'll share inside info on this channel and ask for your input on design decisions.
- Come to the Savior launch party ($500) - Join us in celebrating the launch of Savior in Portland, OR! Food and drink and funky beats are on us, but accommodations and travel are not included.
- Design A Villager ($1,000) - Design and name one of the many citizens of Arcadia. Customize their likeness, choose their favorite food, and have input on their dialogue and purpose in-game. (Subject to approval).
- Design One Of The Forebearers of Bastion ($2,500) - Design one of nine massive statues in the center of Bastion, dedicated to the first fallen! Choose poses, outfits, characteristics, hair styles. Make it your own! (Subject to approval).
Add any of these to your rewards by just adding the price (listed below) to your pledge and then specifying in your backer survey which add on you want:
- The Game: $10
- The Wallpaper: $10
- The Soundtrack: $10
- The Art Book: $10
- The Map: $25
Why No Physical Rewards? - We've chosen to make the rewards digital so more of your money goes to make the game. The added complication and cost of physical rewards would detract from developing Savior, and would keep us from getting it to you as soon as we can.
Current Development Status
Savior is at the end of pre-production. We're polishing combat and movement and most zones have been visually established. We've written a 90 page design doc and a near complete, detailed list of quests.
There's still a lot to do: building quests, adding ambient enemies, bosses and fleshing out the levels. After years in pre-production, we're ready and eager to go full-speed as soon as we have the means to do it.
Who better to finance a game than the people who want to play it!? If we can fund this whole project with your support, that would be ideal. It means more creative freedom for us, and more involvement for you!
For most of production, Savior has been a part-time project for us. We've built it while we worked our day jobs to pay the bills. We hope you are as excited about this project as we are. With your help we can devote our full time effort to development and get Savior to you much sooner.
Risks and challenges
Savior is a big project, and the genre is complex, but well worn. We have a seasoned team and a clear road forward. The riskiest and most novel design elements, particularly the combat mechanics and parkour system, have already been developed and tested. The remaining mechanics to be implemented are more standard and will thus require a lot less iteration to get the feel right. It's smooth sailing ahead. We just need your help to get us to the finish line.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter