This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sat, March 30 2019 3:00 PM UTC +00:00.
Every day, we are asked "Can you make me one with ...?". Ergo, the Open Source Edition. This version of the Star LabTop Mk III will include the most popular requests:
- Open-source Coreboot firmware
- 16GB 2400MHz memory
- English (US) keyboard
- Improved speaker output
What's different about the Star LabTop Mk III: Open Source Edition?
Open-source Coreboot firmware
Coreboot will be used instead of the standard AMI (American Megatrends Inc) firmware. Coreboot is an open-source extended firmware platform which allows for complete visibility and control of your laptop. Coreboot with TianoCore's EDK II will enable maximum compatibility with any Operating System.
16GB 2400MHz memory
The Star LabTop Mk III: OSc edition has double the memory, a total capacity of 16GB of RAM, made by Samsung and rated at 2400MHz.
English (US) Keyboard
The same backlit, tactile keyboard featured on the Star LabTop Mk III but in US (ANSI) layout. The layout will be as below:
Improved speaker output
The Star LabTop Mk III: OSc edition's speakers have been refined for maximum efficiency. The output has also been increased by 0.4 watts. The combination of these changes make a significant difference to the sound quality and maximum volume.
Star LabTop Mk III
To the outside world, the Star LabTop Mk III is just an ordinary laptop, but secretly, it is one of the fastest ultrabooks available. The new Star LabTop Mk III delivers up to a 20% performance increase with the new Intel® Core™ i7-8550u quad-core processor and even faster SSD storage. A 45.6w battery is housed in the Type II anodised aluminium chassis allowing for a 40% increase in battery life.
- 14.8mm thin
- 1.3kg light
- Full HD 13-inch IPS hybrid display
- Up to 7 hours battery life
Built for Linux
The LabTop was built for Linux and comes with Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS pre-installed. Regardless of the distribution used, the LabTop runs flawlessly. The BIOS, Embedded Controller and SSD receive automatic firmware updates via the LVFS. Essential security features are included as standard such as options to disable:
- Intel ME
Latest Intel Core i7 Processor
The Intel® Core™ i7-8550u processor with Intel UHD 620 graphics boasts outstanding performance. Utilising 14-nanometre processor technology, the variable clock speeds and multiple processor cores enable the Star LabTop Mk III to switch seamlessly between energy efficiency and performance.
- Up to 20% faster performance
- Up to 4.0GHz Turbo Boost processing
Hybrid High Definition Display
The Star LabTop Mk III features a 13.3" hybrid display, comprising a matte screen with glass overlay. It's power efficient LED backlighting produces bright and vibrant colour. The combination of 1920x1080 resolution and IPS technology ensures optimum viewing clarity at angles up to 178°.
- 1920x1080 resolution
- 178° viewing angle
- 16:9 aspect ratio
Powered by the Over-Provisioned Star Drive
The Star LabTop Mk III hosts an over-provisioned Star Drive SSD which is incredibly fast, featuring a sequential read speed of up to 3200MB/s. Over-provisioning is the inclusion of extra capacity reserved by the SSD controller to manage read and write tasks. This increases performance and IOPS (Input/Output Operations per Second) whilst enhancing reliability and endurance.
- Up to 3200MB/s sequential read speed
- Up to 2200MB/s sequential write speed
One port to rule them all
The USB-C port provides simultaneous charging, speedy data transfer and video output in a reversible design that’s just one-third of the size of a traditional USB 3 port, putting everything you need in one place.
The full-size LED backlit keyboard features an array of function keys designed to speed up certain tasks, such as media control and adjusting display brightness. One popular feature is the function lock, that when enabled, makes the F-keys behave as if you are holding down the Fn key. The ultra smooth finish of the oversized glass trackpad allows your fingers to glide over it’s surface effortlessly, enabling precise tracking and elegant gesture control.
USB-C 65w Power Adapter
The Star LabTop Mk III charges via the USB-C port. Detachable plugs for the UK, Europe and the USA are included as standard, allowing you to charge your laptop wherever you are in the world.
In 2017, we sent TechPills a Star LabTop Mk II for review. When the Mk III was created, we sent TechPills one as we had improved on many points raised in the review. This feedback has been an invaluable contribution for our continued development to perfect this latest edition of the Star LabTop.
See the review here:
- Type II Black Anodised Aluminium
- Black glass screen surround
- 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit hybrid display with IPS technology
- 1920x1080 resolution at 166 pixels per inch
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1.8GHz quad-core Intel® Core™ i7-8550u, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz, with 8MB SmartCache
- 480GB or 960GB Over-Provisioned Star Drive PCIe SSD
- 16GB of 2400MHz LPDDR4 onboard memory
- Intel UHD Graphics 620
- 1 x USB Type C 3.0 with Power Delivery
- 1 x HDMI
- 2 x USB-A 3.0
- 1 x 3.5mm Headphone Jack
- 1 x Micro SD Memory Card Reader
Keyboard and Trackpad
- Full-size backlit keyboard
- Glass trackpad for precise cursor control and Multi-Touch gestures
- Intel 8265 AC
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Up to 867 Mbps
- 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
- Bluetooth 4.2
- 1.0M HD camera
- Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and:
- Up to two displays with 4096x2304 resolution at 60Hz
- Up to two displays with 3840x2160 resolution at 60Hz
- Stereo Speakers
- Dual Digital Microphone
Battery and Power
- Up to 7 hours battery life
- 45.6-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
- 65w USB-C Power Adapter
- Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
- Operating temperature: 5° to 40° C (41° to 104° F)
- Storage temperature: -20° to 60° C (-4° to 140° F)
- Relative humidity: 0% to 90% non-condensing
- Operating altitude: tested up to 3048 metres (10000 feet)
- Maximum storage altitude: 12192 metres (40000 feet)
- Maximum shipping altitude: 12192 metres (40000 feet)
Size and Weight
- Height: 1.48 cm (0.58 inches)
- Width: 31.43 cm (12.37 inches)
- Depth: 21.60 cm (8.50 inches)
- Weight: 1.2 kg (2.65 pounds)
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (64-bit) or later
- Linux Mint 19 (64-bit) or later
- Windows 10 RS3 (64-bit) or later
- View tested Linux distributions here.
What's in the Box
- 13.3-inch Star LabTop
- 65W USB‑C Power Adapter
- Detachable plugs for the UK, Europe and the USA
Limited Warranty and Service
- One-year limited warranty
- One-year limited technical support
Risks and challenges
The LabTop Mk III already exists so the challenges are extremely limited. Typically, a batch of laptops takes us less than 2 months to make from start to finish.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!