Happy holidays to everyone! We are super excited to announce the release of Star Command Galaxies Beta, just in time for a holiday break. We know this is a time of the year when you have a TON of new game options but we hope that you will download the latest update and check out the progress we have made with Galaxies.
So what does Beta mean? It means that all of our features are in the game and we feel that the game is highly stable. Does this mean bug free? Not yet, but close. We still have a ways to go on polish and balance – but we need your help and feedback for those! Please leave any and all forms of feedback on our Steam Discussions forum - we read them all and they can make a HUGE difference to the final game. This is also only one ‘galaxy’ of gameplay. We plan on launching with two or three full galaxies of adventure, danger and intergalactic hangovers.
For those asking what have we been doing, the answer is simple: working hard on Galaxies. We hope that all that work will now start to show as you pick up the latest version of the game and go on your own adventures.
Galaxies was always conceived as a moddable, expandable, starship simulation platform that we could support for years to come. We finally have hit that point. We will no longer be chasing concepts and instead be working on new weapons, new ships, new maps, new missions and tons of surprises.
We have now transitioned into content-creation mode. We have literally been looking forward to this for 4 years and cannot wait to make some awesome adventures for you and your crew to go on.
So What’s New? Everything.
Below are some of the MAJOR areas of new features or drastic improvements.
- Completely rewritten support for low-resolution screens. The GUI overall should be much more predictable and stable.
- Added 9 new classes to the game: Engineer, Tactical, Science, Handyman, Scout, Doctor, Machinist, Soldier and Hacker.
- Brand new crew job menu for choosing your crew members career path.
- New perks menu for upgrading your crew members
- New crew desires. Your crew will continue to want to grow and acquire new things like beds, art and other unique items and experiences.
- Over 15 new missions.
- Over 15 new weapons, items and upgrades.
- New stores, new vendor missions, new stations.
- Star Command Report Card: receive bonuses based on your daily performance and pay your crew their daily paycheck (or don’t…)
- Completely revised happiness log and events. Crew should be much clearer on what they want and what you need to do to make it happen.
- New indicators for helping you decide what each crew member should be using.
- Healing and repair automation.
- Countless cosmetic improvements to every area of the UI.
- Brand new options menu brings the game to the 21st century.
We also have hundreds of bug fixes, tweaks and other improvements that we won’t bother listing here.
On to top of that, our Trello list is always available to the public, where you can see our daily/weekly/monthly progress. [url=trello.com/b/erZgJ9Ox]You can see our current Trello list of things we are working on here[/url].
Modding and Next Steps
In the next weeks we will be working on new bugs that are discovered by the larger Beta community as well as polishing the Midorian campaign. We will also be shifting the game to be more area/episode driven and rolling out S.C.I.E.N.C.E. for our mod community (asap). With S.C.I.E.N.C.E. you will be able to build & add your own ships, stations and modify just about everything in the game.
We hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season. We appreciate you sticking with us after all these years. We know that some of you are frustrated with the “timeline” and all we can do is continue to work on making the game the best possible experience we can. We really want to hear from you on the Steam forums if you have thoughts on bugs, balance, missions or just general feedback.
Most of all, enjoy!