UPDATE: (Drum roll please) An UNBELIEVABLE line of free products for Charter Members —There's only a few hours left today to increase your pledge and become a charter member at the $50 level. All Charter Members will receive free digital copies of ALL Rogue Comet products which are published in 2016! Not just beta versions, but the final commercial versions of our products.
Also, we have decided to add 1e versions of ALL the adventures. Backers receiving digital copies of the adventures will receive BOTH 1e and 5e versions. Backers receiving print copies of the adventures will receive coupons to print (at cost) BOTH 1e and 5e versions of the adventures. No additional cost to you!
Remember the great old-school dungeon modules from the early 80s? Concise text, booklet format that lays flat, quick to prepare. As retail stores moved away from giving shelf space to the booklet module format, hardback adventure books with one- to two-hundred pages of text took their place. In many cases, these adventures have walls-of-text, a bit like reading a novel. Many people love it, but many people long for adventures in that earlier, concise and scan-able format.
This project recreates those concise, 30 page module formats, adding in some more modern approaches. Influenced by the great techniques of games like Dungeon World and the format of the 1-Page Dungeon, we’re starting a new line of 5e adventure products.
Dungeonesque: World of Redmark, published by Rogue Comet, is a set of 5e Adventures and Maps perfect for a sandbox-style game. These were built from the ground up to make a GM's life easier. Whether you intend to run a full-fledged, long-term fantasy campaign or you simply want a few one-shot adventures, these adventures and maps will give you all the tools you need for the job.
Here’s what people are saying on social media about this project’s design principles:
- “Gotta say, this is awesome. Love the format.” — Nate S.
- “The map is gorgeous, and I like your page layout/formatting.” — Andrew B.
- “The layout design on this is top notch.” — John W.
The first product in the Dungeonesque line is called ‘Redmark Adventures Volume 1’. It’s a concise collection of ten 1-sheet adventures.
Each adventure spans two pages and opens up to lay flat. Everything you need for a four-hour session is on those two pages, with the occasional custom monster stat block located in an easy-to-print/copy section in the appendix. Adventures are:
- Modular — Rip them out and fold into any campaign you run.
- Low-prep — Read a one-sheet adventure and be ready to run in fewer than fifteen minutes!
- Discoverable — Play to see what happens! Lots of random encounters written in a loose, sandbox style means a collaboratively told story, increasing GM and player satisfaction.
Each adventure is stand-alone with the exception of a four-part story arc wrapping up in an epic, world-shattering conclusion.
This adventure module includes:
- 10 1-sheet adventures — The core of the module is a set of low-prep, high-octane adventures with 5e stats and black-and-white maps.
- 3 Pre-generated ‘Bullet Campaigns’ — This is a technique similar to Dungeon Worlds 'Fronts' or Fate’s 'Issues'. Each Bullet Campaign is a faction or force in the world with diabolical plans. A list of NPCs and Escalations let gamemasters easily adapt those campaign events to the story unfolding at the table.
- 1 Region Map — We include a one-page 8x10 hex area black-and-white map (each hex being 60 miles) with a one-page description. Use this world or swap in your own setting.
- 1 City Map & 1 Village Map — Both black-and-white maps include a legend along with key issues and encounters, richly detailed and described on a two-page spread.
- GM Tools — The product includes random encounters, random villages, a list of optional adventure seeds, lists of random NPC names, and other great tools to make the adventure alive, dynamic, and expandable for months of play.
In addition to the main adventure module, two one-shot Bonus Adventures with gorgeous color maps are included in the product bundle. These maps are perfect to print out for convention games or other one-shot sessions where high production values are desired.
Here’s what people on social media are saying about this concise 1-sheet adventure format:
- “l’ll go on record: I love the 1-Page Adventure format.” — Gamerstable D.
- “I like the ≤10 page adventures. Short, sweet, to the point. 1–2 pages per hour of game time, with a "bestiary" in the back with all the stat blocks.” — Christopher R.
- “I recently ran a 3 hour game with a 1-page dungeon (with little improvising), so I can't see why would one need a 20-30 page adventure.” — Eric D.
- “I usually try to get 2-4 pages for 4 hour encounter, improv as needed.” — Glen C.
- “A dense adventure, focused on gameable content (not backstory) that's 12-28 pages gives 3-12 adventure sessions is perfect.” — Courtney C.
- “Yeah, give me a bunch of 1-page adventure frameworks and I'm in heaven. “ — Ron F.
Here’s what people on social media are saying about the Bullet Campaign format, which is an optional part of these adventures:
- “This is exactly how I currently write any adventures that I create myself. I don't need huge blocks of text that will only ever be read by me and the players will never be privy to. All I need is the basic adventure idea and points of interest that the players can come across during the adventure.” — Tim M.
- “I do use this for my games to figure out where to go next. It's super easy and isn't writing out novels of information.” — Karlen K.
- “Good stuff, this is how I write for my home brew campaign.” — Christopher H.
According to a recent interview with Wizards of the Coast employee Chris Perkins, around 55% of GMs run home-brew campaign settings. To support the majority of GMs who have some sort of home-brew setting, we are introducing The World of Redmark, a sandbox game map ready for you to explore.
Perhaps the better name for this product is Your World of Redmark, since our vision is to give you the tools to create and explore a land of your creation, not ours. Some settings have hundreds (sometimes thousands) of pages of canon. While robust settings have some advantages, they can also handcuff the GM. Our goal is to give you canon-free campaign tools. You can create your world with gorgeous maps, but with no constraints or canon to tie you down. Our adventure modules have some suggested tools and resources (such as region and city write-ups) but you are free to use some or none of it. The only canon is what you and your players create!
Our maps come in both color and black-and-white formats. The large world map is a 24" x 36” poster and is structured into sixteen 8x10 hex regions. Each hex is 60 miles. Maps are PDF and JPG formats and easily printable at your local office supply shop. (Tip: ask for ‘blueprint’ printing at Office Depot to get an uber-cheap black-and-white printout). Players can mark up the map — they’re cheap and reprintable!
Map products will include:
- World of Redmark World Poster Map (24" x 36” poster, both color and black-and-white options)
- Redmark City-state Map (18" x 24” color poster)
- Sewers of Redmark Map (18" x 24” color poster)
Our goal is to reach $1,500 which allows us to complete the layout of the books and bring the product to our fans as soon as possible.
All adventure text is complete, though some layout of text and stat blocks still remain. The majority of the artwork has been completed as well.
The maps are complete and ready to be released as soon as the Kickstarter is funded.
In addition to making the 'Dungeonesque: World of Redmark' products available to our fans, the Kickstarter funding will also set the stage for future development of new adventures and GM tools.
How do you support this project? It's very easy, just choose a pledge level and click "Back this Project." Here is a breakdown of recommended pledge levels (see sidebar text for additional details):
- $5 — MINION: Hat Tip to show your support!
- $15 — ADVENTURER: Adventures PDF set
- $15 — EXPLORER: Maps PDF set
- $25 — CONQUEROR: Adventures + Maps PDF Set
- $35 — KING: Adventures + Maps, Print + PDF Set
- $50 — EMPEROR: Adventures + Maps, Print + PDF Set, plus Charter Membership
- $250 — HERO OF AGES: Adventures + Maps, Print + PDF Set, plus Charter Membership, plus Your Character as an adventure NPC
- $500 — ICONIC OVERLORD: Adventures + Maps, Print + PDF Set, Charter Membership, plus Your Character as an Adventure NPC AND a Full-Color Illustration of Your Character!
All backers will get their goods cheaper than retail!
Map products will be delivered as soon as the Kickstarter closes and the payments process. Adventure products and the printed book will be here just a few short months later! You'll get the Adventures and Maps products through the quick and reliable DriveThruRPG and RPGNow delivery.
At the following stretch goal levels we have several additional products to announce. We have several products which we will announce as higher stretch goals are achieved!
$3,000 (ACHIEVED!) —1 Sheet Bonus Adventure #4
$6,500 (ACHIEVED!) — B&W Gazetteer (The world map split into 16 printable, 8.5" x 11” regions)
$10,000 (ACHIEVED!) —1 Sheet Bonus Adventure #3
$15,000 (LOCKED) —Color Gazetteer (The world map split into 16 printable, 8.5" x 11” regions)
$20,000 (LOCKED) —Parchment Gazetteer (The world map split into 16 printable, 8.5" x 11” regions)
$25,000 (LOCKED) —Hex Crawl Blank Maps (60’ mile hexes split into blank subhex maps, in both 8.5" x 11” and 18" x 24” formats)
$30,000 (LOCKED) —Parchment Version of 24" x 36” Poster Map
$35,000 (LOCKED) —??? (To be announced!)
$40,000 (LOCKED) —??? (To be announced!)
$45,000 (LOCKED) —??? (To be announced!)
$50,000 (LOCKED) —??? (To be announced!)
We always appreciate your help in spreading the news about our 5e Adventures and Maps, and we want to thank you in a meaningful way.
Post the link to this Kickstarter on the social media of your choice. Then tag @RogueComet (Twitter, Facebook, or Google Plus), and send a link or screenshot of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org. After the Kickstarter funds, we’ll email you a link to the PDF copy of the ‘Raiders of the Virgins Pilgrimage’ adventure — exclusively available to our Social Media and Blog fans! Better yet, pledge to support the Kickstarter at the MINION level and then spread the word. Thanks so much for your support!
Rogue Comet is a new RPG company formed by fans of the hobby who want to create time-saving GM tools to make gaming easier. Together with a hoard of helpers and supporters we strive to create fantastic products for everyone!
Our creative team includes:
- Stan Shinn — Stan has been playing RPGs since 1978 when his first character survived all of 90 minutes before dying in a fiendish dungeon trap. He's been hooked on roleplaying ever since! Stan is a former US Southwest D&D Adventurer's League Coordinator for 5th edition games, moderator of the largest D&D 5e Google+ community, author of several indie RPGs, and creator of many 5e tools such as a GM Screen and 1e to 5e conversion tools featured in EnWorld articles.
- Nathan Panke — Nathan has been playing and running RPGs for over 25 years. He played his first role-playing game at a Boy Scout camp. Since then Nathan has played every version of D&D and any other RPG that he can get a hold of. He has written adventures for several editions of D&D as well as other systems including: 13th Age, Call of Cthulhu, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Savage Worlds (Several settings), Star Wars Edge of the Empire, Swords & Wizardry, and White Star.
- Paul Oklesh — Paul is a relative newcomer to RPGs, having only been involved in the hobby for 3 years. He got his start through the D&D 5E playtests but has since dabbled in many different systems. Paul has written several adventures for 5E and has been published by EnWorld Publishing's EN5IDER magazine - his work "The Business of Emotion" (which was coincidentally written for this campaign setting) serving as their free sample adventure.
- Damien Goldwarg — Damien was introduced to RPGs with the advent of 4th Edition D&D. He quickly fell in love with GMing and has been designing content ever since. When 5E entered its playtesting phase, he was among the first wave of people to adopt and master the new system. Damien has earned a reputation for creating adventures that offer both memorable stories and satisfying combat encounters.
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges
The text and overall design of the products is complete, so we know what is going into the final products. The only work that remains is some additional stat block layouts and beta testing of a few adventure scenes. We think we can deliver this project without problems.
However, as with any manufacturing process, things can go wrong. We have identified that delays in layout and delays in printer setup could happen. So we have allowed additional time in our schedule as a buffer to enable us to avoid such delay issues. If all goes as planned we may even be able to deliver the project a little sooner.
We understand the printing process as our founder has published several fiction and nonfiction books before and has worked with multiple printers. With projects like this there is nearly always something that costs more, so it makes business sense to have contingencies for this. We have built this into our costs.
Conventional Kickstarter risks of fulfillment and printing are virtually nonexistent since we are using OneBookshelf's DriveThruRPG front end for printing and shipping on an at-cost basis for print-level backers. In the unlikely case that DriveThruRPG goes out of business, we have sufficient financial reserves to refund print backers the $10 difference in pledge levels.
No matter what problems occur we will always keep our backers and supporters informed of any issues that arise so you will be aware of the situation and how we will be handling it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)