"LAUNCH": The Fastest Way To Start The Day
"LAUNCH": The Fastest Way To Start The Day
Celebrating our ten years timing the FIA WRC with some fun, a replica of our Rally Start Lights (inc. Rally sounds), in an alarm clock!
Celebrating our ten years timing the FIA WRC with some fun, a replica of our Rally Start Lights (inc. Rally sounds), in an alarm clock! Read more
About this project
THE WORLD'S MOST PETROL-HEAD ALARM CLOCK!
- Replica of S1Tec's WRC Start Lights - As seen on the start lines of the World Rally Championship for ten years, and even recently on BBC's Top Gear.
- Real WRC Car Sounds - From the 30-second warning light, through to launch, and beyond.
- Start Light Sequence - Can be set to operate once a minute, on the hour, or just at your alarm time.
- Brightness Control - Dim it all down at night, or run it at full brightness for maximum effect!
- Motorsport Technology - We've taken technology straight from our motorsport timing systems to build this alarm clock. Why wake up at 7:59:59.993 when you could wake up at 8:00:00.000 and get that extra seven milliseconds in bed - a lot can happen in bed in seven millseconds - so we're told!!!
HOW THE REAL WRC START LIGHTS WORK:
- 30 Second Light - Arriving at a Specal Stage, the co-driver is given an Allocated Start Time. At 30 seconds before that start time, the "30 second" light illuminates, alerting the driver to prepare for the start.
- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - At five seconds to go, the red light illuminates, and four seconds the second red light illuminates, and so on until all five red lights are lit up, with 1 second to go.
- GO! - All the lights go out at the exact start time. It is the job of the driver to launch the car off the line as quickly as possible, without "Jumping" the start, and triggering our Jump-Start detection photocells.
HOW THE REPLICA ALARM CLOCK WORKS:
- Set Your Alarm Time - Using the buttons on the top of the device, set the alarm time.
- Alarm Sequence - The start light sequence is identical to the real thing - described above. At 30 seconds to go, the audio fades in, of the WRC car on the start line, all the way through to the car launching off the line and into the stage.
The currect prototype isn't much to look at!! :) But the electronics are working, and we're using our WRC-proven timing algorythms to keep extremely accurate time. We realise this kind obsessional attention to detail won't really improve the product for anyone particularly, but we're all about timing, and we just couldn't live with ourselves if it wasn't awesome at keeping accurate time!!!
WHY BUILD "LAUNCH"?
Being responsible for the timing of the FIA World Rally Championship for a decade was really hard work, a massive responsibility, and a lot of fun all at the same time.
At the end of last year, our contract came to an end, but we didn't want to leave without saying thank you, and sharing a momento of our work and our passion for the sport.
This project will undoubtedly be a financial disaster for us!! :) But we figured "what the hell", so in line with this tweet we've decided to make it, and to be honest, we kind of just want one as well! :)
S1TEC AND THE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP
For the last 10 years, up until the end of last year, our small team of techies at Stage One Technology provided the Timing, Results, GPS Safety Tracking, and Media Data Acquisition Technology for each round the FIA World Rally Championship.
Here's a video we put together to thank the WRC community for an amazing decade:
THE PEOPLE AT S1TEC:
The best thing about S1Tec is our people. We have a lot of fun, but we take our work seriously - especially on the WRC, as a lot of people relied heavily on our services.Lee Shaw
Lee is our Senior Development Engineer and led almost all of the major developments of our WRC program. He has a rare combination of sheer electronics genius, combined with the ability to actually converse with humans!
Lee is a bit like B. A. Baracus from The A-Team, because " He ain't gettin' on no plane, foo' " (unless he can't get out of it!). A few of years ago we all achieved the impossible, and got him on a plane for the very first time in his life to WRC Rally Sardinia - and we didn't even need to drug him first!(unfortunately)
Risks and challenges
The prototype is working, and we have a ten-year history of developing far more advanced products than this. We have a great partnership network, and systems in place which means we've already mitigated as many risks as possible. We know there will still be hurdles along the way, but we promise to be 100% transparent with our community about challenges, including:
Dispatch Date: We have already included a buffer into the delivery timescales and we would actually hope to be delivering early, but there's a chance that unexpected delays could cause these dates to slip.
Final Product Tweaks: The prototype and artist's impressions are what we hope to be a good indication of the final product. Judging by our usual way of working, it is highly likely that the product will be better than planned, but it's possible we may find it necessary to make slight changes, or desirable to make improvement tweaks. We'll keep you informed though.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)