Imagine With Us...
A bustling pier, full of the sights, sounds and smells of a fisherman's market. Above the din, a voice is heard inviting people to come near an odd and misshapen building: The Museum of Maritime Wonderments and Nautical Oddities — a place where strange and mysterious findings from the Atlantic are on display. A small crowd gathers around a traveling duo who, through both word and song, begin to tell the most fantastic stories about a curious old wooden ship and the man who once captained it.
This is where the Peculiar Tales of the S.S. Bungalow begin, and is the launching point for the album.
Because we want our listeners to be transported into the world of the S.S. Bungalow and her crew, this album has to be so much more than a simple collection of songs. Throughout the album, the voice of a narrator will help fill in the details of this grand tale. Furthermore, we'll be working with a team of sound designers who will help us emulate the sounds of the open sea throughout the album. You will hear the creaking of a ship as it barrels through the waves, the cries of the albatross and seagull, the crackling of shoreline campfires and the roar of forty-foot swells crashing upon the deck.
A rich and immersive experience awaits the listener who steps aboard the S.S. Bungalow. We want to welcome aboard!!
SONGS THAT WILL BE INCLUDED ON THE ALBUM:
- "Big World" Sleepytime Greg has always had an itch for a grand adventure, but he never knew how, or where to go. His discovery of a mysterious treasure map, however, changed everything.
- "Swab the Deck" Sleepytime Greg and his best friend Toothpick need to buy a bigger boat for their upcoming adventure, but the ship they end up with is an old, dilapidated and dirty mess! This song celebrates the positive things that can result from hard work and a good attitude.
- "Beagles Have Noses" Having a beagle on board a ship in the middle of the ocean can be a very dangerous thing. Tater-Tot's nose, along with his bottomless tummy, could spell trouble for the crew!
- "Life is Good" In this infectiously happy sing-a-long, the Bungalow crew are reminded that no matter how bad someone's day may be going, there are just too many amazing things in the world to keep us down! The grumpy lobsters just might disagree though. Can a song about friendship and ice cream lift even their sullen spirits?
- "Barnaby's Song" A lonely octopus named Barnaby lives on the ocean floor, and he wonders why he seems so different from all the other creatures living there. An unexpected friend, however, teaches the sad octopus that oftentimes it is our differences that make us so special.
- "The Lost Lullaby" There are special stowaways - singing toads! - living in the hull of the S.S. Bungalow, and every night they sing the same song: The Lost Lullaby.
- "Sleepytime Greg" While he may be the captain of the S.S. Bungalow during the day, it is at night, when he dreams the most fanciful and adventurous dreams, that Sleepytime Greg is captain of his king-sized bed: The S.S. Sleepytime.
- "Where Monsters Never Sleep" The crew of the S.S. Bungalow has reached the fabled Lullaby Islands, but rumors and legends abound regarding this strange place.
- "Toothpick" An instrumental ode to Sleepytime Greg's loyal First Mate, Toothpick, a great sailor and an even greater friend.
- "Island Life" The people of the Lullaby Islands don't have big houses or fancy cars, but they are more happy than you can imagine! That's because they know that the best things in life don't come in a box, but through songs, stories, dances and smiles!
- "Aquinas" Sometimes the animals in our lives that we care for and love have to go away and leave us. In this touching tribute, Toothpick remembers the times he spent with his dear pet goldfish, Aquinas.
- "My Sleepyhead"No matter what your adventure, there are many dangers in our world, and we all need a place where we can feel safe, secure, and loved. When the Bungalow crew return to their homes, they are thankful for these comforts.
Meet the Bungalow Crew
HELP KICKSTART THE S.S. BUNGALOW
Let's get down to brass tacks. We are asking for 14K to fund this project. We understand that this is a lot of money, however, we feel strongly that in order to tackle this project the right way, we will need every penny. There are so many different moving parts to this project, and we're guaranteed to face some unforeseen obstacles along the way. The money we receive from this Kickstarter Campaign will go toward the production, promotion and distribution of the album. See below.
What the Money is Going Towards:
- Sound Engineering (Recording 12 delightful tunes in the studio.)
- Mixing (Taking those delightful tunes and adding even more delight!)
- Mastering (Making sure these mixes work well on web, television, radio etc.)
- Voiceover (Sage and resonant narration between songs.)
- Sound Design (You know, "Splash! Crash! Kerplunk!" Things like that.)
- Dancing Elephants (While they have agreed to work for free, they insist on lots of snacks.)
- Musicians (Their time is valuable to us, and we want to show them a lot of love!)
- Album Cover/Booklet Design (So far, it looks fantastic! But there remains work to do.)
- Album Production (This is where things get physical.)
- Album Distribution (The way we share our album with the world. )
- PR/Marketing (Our excellent word-spreader person must be able to spread the word with ease!)
- Kickstarter Rewards (Unfortunately, the goodies we are offering are not the kind that grow on trees)
Ways You Can Support This Project
1. SPREAD THE WORD — The best way you can help this project, hands down, is to spread the word. Tell your friends, tell your family, tell your pets, tell everyone you know! The more people that know about our project, the more likely we are to successfully fund it. It's that simple. So, please share this campaign via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, photos, texts, snail mail, smoke signals, and more. We want to keep up the momentum for the entirety of this campaign, and we simply cannot do it without you. (Yes, you!). Together, we can do this!
2. PLEDGE — In a perfect world, we could eat ice cream without getting fat, cars would fly, and we could make an album entirely for free. However, the reality is, we need money to move forward with this project (and, unfortunately, money does not fall from trees!). Just remember that every little penny counts and we would be grateful for any amount that you are able to give. If you don't even have a penny to spare, please share our page with your friends (that's worth a lot to us, believe me!).
3. STAY CONNECTED — We'd LOVE to be connected with you! If you like what you see and hear, please connect with us however you see fit. You can follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and Facebook. The more you interact with us, the happier we are, and the more you'll know about the album release, live shows, and other fun projects. So please, stay connected and let us know what you think of this project!
Risks and challenges
Sea monsters, the fabled Leviathan in particular, are an obvious and ever-present danger to the completion of our project. While inland Portland offers us a slight sense of security from the myriad of oceanic denizens whom wish us harm, this comfort is an illusory one, as the Columbia River offers the watery beast a convenient thoroughfare to the very heart of our fair city.
Sure, no one wants to hear that at any given moment their cozy existence may be shattered by the sudden appearance of an aggressive and calculating mollusk, but this is the sobering reality we are faced with on a daily basis. Therefore, certain measures have been enacted by our team to minimize our abduction and/or destruction at the "hands" of these aquatic monstrosities. All members of the S.S. Bungalow team have been issued neoprene wet-suits and pneumatic harpoon guns and have undergone extensive training aimed at recognizing and eliminating any and all sea-borne threats which may befall us.
Furthermore, those of us considered to be at the greatest risk of mortal harm (house boat inhabitants, shoreline residents, beagles) have been strongly advised to sleep in full scuba gear and to tether themselves to any solid object at their disposal (e.g. fire hydrants, water heaters, cast-iron wood burning stoves) during any and all times of inactivity. Granted, there are no guarantees in this life that one will not be snatched away by massive, tentacled creatures intent upon enslaving mankind within the walls of a horrifying underwater city, but if that were ever enough to stop people from producing whimsical, nautically-themed family folk songs about sleepy sea-captains and chubby beagles named Tater-Tot, well then, darn it, you can take me away right now.
So to you, fiendish abnormalities of the deep, we declare the following: Though your oozy, muculent appendages may drag our bodies below, you can never crush our spirit. Abduct one musician, and three more will arise in his or her place. Slay one sound engineer, and our resolve to engineer sound will increase tenfold. Inflict your terror upon our illustrator, and said illustrator will draw pictures of you that make you look really dumb and goofy. Give up now monsters, for the S.S. Bungalow shall sail into a sunset horizon despite your most fervent aggressions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)