Papier is a game that takes place in a world of paper, sketches and ink. Where imagination and adventure are everything!
Papier is a game that takes place in a world of paper, sketches and ink. Where imagination and adventure are everything! Read more
About this project
"Each person has a story. Their own, that defines who they are, who they were, and who they will be. In this world of paper, a person's story is bound to the pages of just one book. Each person and all things have a book that defines them and tells their story, without which they would not exist." - Extract from Papier.
What is Papier Adventure?
Papier is an adventure game with RPG elements based on the original tale by Matt McArdell. It takes place in a world made of paper! It will be released for desktop and mobile devices, namely; Windows, Mac, iOS iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android mobile phones and tablets, and *UPDATE*: Linux desktop version added to all reward tiers (see FAQ).
FINAL UPDATE: Further information on Papier will be available at: http://papieradventure.com
Papier is a boy who lives in a world of paper. After receiving a mysterious letter he discovers the legends of the Arcane Library and its books that cause everything to exist. Each person has a book that tells their life story and most of the pages from his book have been stolen. He sets out to find these pages before his powerful foe can destroy them, and page by page - he discovers his true destiny.
- You play as Papier, the main character in this game.
- Travel to fantastic locations in exotic lands that include hidden temples, curious structures, towns and surrounding terrain.
- Locate Papier's missing pages and gain impressive paper-themed powers.
- Answer the questions of who Papier's foe is, why they are intent on detroying his pages, and uncover legends underpinning the world of paper.
- Meet unique characters and creatures.
- Use Papier's powers to defeat the evil forces sent to stop him.
On this quest, Papier will discover places of wonder that he couldn't have imagined and encounter people and creatures who become a part of his story, as he becomes a part of theirs. That is, if he can triumph over the dark forces intent on preventing him.
The game immerses you and Papier into a world made of paper that combines the latest of game technology with the aesthetic of hand drawn surfaces. The outdoor scene at the end of the project video demonstrates the unique look and feel of the game world.
While Papier's powers will be essential to success in this world, it is the choices you make that will have far reaching consequences for Papier, the characters he meets, and the unfolding of the world of paper.
- Multi-angle 3rd person camera view that adapts to different environments and challenges.
- General gameplay uses a "slightly above and behind" view (similar to World of Warcraft) and at times a more distant "above, to the side" view (similar to Diablo).
- The distance of the camera from Papier will change depending on what Papier is doing. This will be tuned differently for mobile, tablet, and desktop.
- "Hands-on" activities, such as thumbing through books and symbols, use a first-person view (looking through the eyes of Papier).
- Cinematic camera views will be triggered by scripted game moments to enhance the scene.
- Point and click (touch/tap) to move Papier and interact with the environment and creatures.
- The story, characters, and environments adapt to the choices that you make.
- Draw to use powers and create game objects.
- Follow clues and solve puzzles to find and collect the pages of power and other loot.
- Complete goals to unlock special powers and story sub-plots.
- The soundtrack and audio complements the visuals and storyline.
NOTE: The video below is a simple demonstration of the Papier game engine "look and feel" while moving around a 3D environment. This is not a level from the game and doesn't contained the features discussed elsewhere for this project.
Why Back Papier?
- We're making a game that values the attention to detail of story-telling and unique characters.
- We're making a game where the visuals and audio weave to create a special game experience.
- We need your help to make it!
The world and story of Papier
is for those who really dig worlds of imagination and fantasy. We're
super excited about the story, characters, visual style, and
entertaining touches that will make this a special game to experience,
and we can't wait to share it with you. If we were to mention influences
to give you an idea of what to expect, they would be the work of Tim
Burton, the whimsically portrayed Hans Christian Andersen (you know the
one with Danny Kaye?), and Roald Dahl. You get the idea. All aboard the
In addition to directly assisting the release of this game into the wild, you will also gain access to the Papier developer journal online and private backer forums. This is where we'll publish concept art, detail our approach to the game's development, and explain how we're using the tools to successfully produce Papier. We'll also be seeking feedback and discussion and will make the non-spoiler beta testing level available to backers. By backing Papier Adventure, you're along for the journey with us!
Developing a video game is part rocket science, part art. Creating a game that is fun, performs well, and is ready for commercial release is no small undertaking. It requires people with serious skills and the experience to tackle any technology, any tool to get the job done. Through a focused and flexible team, smart choice of tools, and by utilizing Kickstarter to provide the game to you directly, we'll be able to deliver a truly excellent adventure game.
How to Make an Awesome Game
Having experience with developing mobile games using Unity game development tool, we have found it the perfect choice for a cross-platform game such as this. Leveraging the core game technologies that Unity provides allows us to focus on crafting a world with an audio-visual experience that does the world of Papier justice. Development-wise we can focus on an adaptive story engine, technology to allow creative direction to seamlessly blend with game play, and the pretty cool powers that Papier will be wielding.Of the number of creative tools that we're leaning on, for much of the 3D modelling and animation assets we'll be using Blender. Blender is an open source 3D animation tool and we're excited to be integrating it into our game development tool chain.
Meet the Team
Core Game Development
Matt's interactive 3D work began back in the days when Silicon Graphics
was king of high-end 3D, and VRML (Virtual Reality Modelling Language)
was going to take over the web! In fact, he first experimented with the
look and feel of a world much like that of Papier using VRML way back
then. In the intervening 15 years in industry, he has worked at
companies from startups to large corporations in areas including
interactive 3D development, mobile and tablet games and Apps, native and
web user interface systems, and large-scale enterprise digital media
His recent projects include mobile games, and solution design for a massively scalable sporting mobile Apps platform at Telstra that serves real-time content to fans.
When he's not doing that, he's a keen artist, writer, animator and musician. As such, he has a unique combination of skills to bring the creative and technical solutions together for this project.
With 13 years of hardcore development and design experience across the board, Shaun has one mission on this project: cut wicked code that enables our vision for the game. 'Nuff said.
Mark has ten years of industry experience delivering interactive media projects including 3D animation, video production, and Flash based applications. He has twice won "Learning Seat's Outstanding Designer/Developer Award". Mark's recent interactive media projects have been for the many international and government clients for News Digital Media.
Invaluable web administrative assistance.
We're fortunate to have a number of highly talented voice actors join us to bring life to the characters in Papier! They bring extensive experience to this project including previous roles in games, musical theater, and original music projects.
The lower reward tiers (up to the Special Edition) provide you with digital rewards, including the game itself, that you will be able to download once the game is released.
The Special Edition includes a digital copy of the Papier World Book. The World Book contains art and descriptions of creatures, places, and artifacts that exist in the game world.
From the tee-shirt reward tier upwards, there are physical rewards offered in addition to the digital rewards. These include real-world products that augment the Papier experience in a way that is true to the nature of the story itself.
The upper reward tiers include your name, face, or likeness in the game itself. You'll be famous! We will contact you directly for photos where required, and adapt them to appear in the game as stated, for all to see!
We'll spend the first month integrating our foundation code for end-to-end functionality as a basis for the test level. After that the iterative development cycles will begin for the game chapter levels until the planned delivery at the end of April 2013.
We have a list of additional features we'd like to see in the game, and if we meet higher than the minimum target, we'll be pleased to be able include them. For now we'll mention a few on the list:
- We'd like to add transparently backed-up online game saves, allowing you, for example, to start playing on your desktop, then continue on your mobile or tablet when you're out and and about.
- Multi-language subtitles in addition to the spoken dialogue.
- The ability to publish your own journey through the Papier world, incorporating the choices that you make throughout your story.
We have a swag of Papier content to work with, a great team, and great technology that we're building on. We're looking forward to you joining us as the world of Papier is brought to life!
Web Site: http://papieradventure.com
Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/papieradventure
Project contact: contact @ papieradventure.com
Support this project
- (30 days)