About this project
Why I Started SAVORx Spice & Flavor Co.
SPICES AMAZE ME! They can turn otherwise bland foods into delicacies. There are so many, each one equally unique. Spices intrigue me. I’ve studied spices, experimented with them, roasted and toasted spices, made blends, rubs & marinades, and even made some pretty good teas with them :)
I guess you could call me a Spiceologist. I understand spice. I know how to extract the most amount of flavor out of spices. Spices are very delicate. They have essential oils in them that contain all that crazy-good flavor and aroma that we love. Those essential oils are super volatile, which means that the oils can vaporize when they are exposed to light and heat. Once those essential oils are exposed, your spices start to become less flavorful. As time goes by, more and more flavor & aroma will be lost, and finally you will be left with dust in a jar. Here’s another spice fact: Spices start to lose their flavor soon after they are ground. Sounds a lot like coffee beans, heh? That’s why coffee tastes so much better when you grind the beans right before you brew. That’s why coffee is packaged in non-translucent packaging, so the light won’t ruin the beans. People should treat spices the same way they treat coffee! Have you ever heard of someone buying enough coffee to last at least a couple years? No, people buy enough coffee to last them a couple weeks, so it stays flavorful. People should buy spices the same way they buy coffee. If we all know that light & spice don’t mix, then why do other spice companies sell their spices in clear containers? If we know spices start to lose their flavor and aroma the moment after they're ground, then why are we buying all of our spices pre-ground? The big ole' spice companies have hoodwinked us! Think about it.... They grind the spices, bottle them in clear containers, send them to a warehouse, then to the store shelf before we finally see them. I wonder how long it takes (after grinding), before we are able to purchase them.... Months....Years? No wonder they are so flavorless.... And, why is it so hard to find whole spices at the store? If you DO find whole spices, why are they MORE EXPENSIVE then buying ground spices?! Does this make sense?
Time For Change!
I knew things had to change. I knew I had to start a movement. I wanted to let people know how much more flavorful their spices could be. I started SAVORx in an effort to supply foodies with quality spices in their NATURAL format, WHOLE! (We also sell the tools you need to freshly grind them). We are different. We don’t sell dulled-down spices in attractive clear jars, WE provide our customers with AMAZING SPICES, IN NON-TRANSLUCENT PACKAGING! We empower YOU with the spices, and tools you need to experience TRUE FLAVOR. BIG FLAVOR. BOLD FLAVOR, and we’ll show you how to do it! Stay tuned for our "Spiceology 101" video series, where we teach you the best ways to buy, store, grind, and use your spices. Yah, you'll be a Spiceologist before you know it!
Recipe Spice Packs
Not only do we sell whole spices, and the tools you need to grind them, but we create Recipe Spice Packs that contain the perfect amount of spices to make a gourmet meal for 4 people (that way you don't have to go out & buy an entire jar of Green Cardamom, Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks, Whole Cloves, and Juniper Berries just to make Baklava). Our packaging includes a QR Code, which when scanned, supplies you with the shopping list, recipe, and a video of me making the dish. The short 4-6 minute video will go over all of the critical steps of the dish, and provide tips to executing the dish perfectly.
Scan this QR code with your smartphone so you can see our Baklava Recipe Spice Pack in action! (If you do not have a QR reader I recommend the browsAR App, it's free)
Here is a Recipe Spice Pack Video on how to make Paella:
SAVORx was just launched a few months ago. It has taken a tremendous amount of time, thought, effort, and money to get to this point. WE ARE SO CLOSE! With your help, we can really impact the way people flavor their food. Here is what we have so far, followed by what we need:
What We Have (So Far):
- A Website! Check it out: www.SAVORx.com
- Licensing and Legalities… We operate under SAVORx LLC at our FDA approved processing facility in Liberty Lake Washington. We have obtained all of the required certifications, permits, and licenses needed.
- Labels, mail order packaging, and packaging equipment.
- Small spice inventory.
- 7 professionally filmed and edited Recipe Spice Pack Videos. Check them out! www.youtube.com/spiceologist
- Film & audio equipment (DSLR video, wireless mic, sound interface, computers, editing software, lighting, etc...)
- Marketing materials (Brochures, cards, etc.).
What we need:
- Spices, Spices, Spices!!! We have a limited amount of spices right now, but with your help, we can increase how many different spices, rubs, and Recipe Spice Packs we offer! Cost/$3,000
- Thermal Printer…. We already have our generic labels, but need a thermal printer to add the specific product details… Cost/$1,000
- Retail Packaging…. We have already created and sourced our online/web-order packaging, but still need to develop & buy our retail packaging. We plan on using stackable, square spice tins to help keep your kitchen cabinets CLEAN & ORGANIZED. I don’t know about you, but I hate fishing through the cabinets looking for a bottle of cumin…. EERRGGHHH! Cost/$2,000
- Spice Grinding Tools…. We will offer all sorts of Mortar & Pestles, manual spice grinders, and electric spice grinders. Plus some really cool kitchen gadgets/equipment. Cost/$2,500
- Film, Film, Film…. We love sharing our passion with others. That is why we create Recipe Spice Pack Videos that show you how to make that dish you really want to try! Cost/$3,500
Above and Beyond:
Once we have reached our goal of $12,000, please don’t stop there! We have some awesome ideas we would like to make realities:
- India Documentary: We will embark on an EPIC journey to the spice capital of the world, India, to film spices at their origin. We will capture India’s spice-centered culture from a Spiceologist’s P.O.V. Not only will we source the spices for our company (so we can get them into your hands), but we will document every meal/adventure we partake in. Cost/$8,500-$10,000
- Hiring the key people…. In order to change the way the world flavors its food, we need help. I need to find key employees to aid in the development of SAVORx. Cost/D.O.E
- Mobile App Development…. Ever wonder what spices are in a dish? Well, we will create an App that will help you figure that out! This will serve as a guide to spices, flavor, and so much more. Cost/$15,000-$30,000
- Spiceologist inspired line of Oils, Vinegars, and Marinades…. Yum!
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
We can all be Spiceologists, it all starts here...
*Any one interested in the India trip please message prior to pledging. This will be an EPIC adventure! We will be filming a documentary (you will be in it), so now is your chance to be famous :)
*Anyone interested in having their name/business name tattooed on my body, please message me. We can put a great PR plan together.
*Sorry, most rewards cannot be shipped internationally (Canada is ok + $10 in shipping). Continental U.S shipping is paid by sender.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (34 days)